1% Capital Risk - But I'm Already into Margin?

TheBramble

Legendary member
If I limit my risk in any one trade (single directional or pair) to a small percentage of my total trading capital - it's quite possible to end up with a position size which ties-up all my cash and quite a bit of my margin.

True or False?

For instance:-

1. I'm taking a single long directional trade (for ease of example) for which I have a stop-loss of 10c.

2. My trading capital is $50,000.

3. I risk a maximum 1% ($500) per trade.

4. I therefore calculate I will buy 5000 shares (regardless of share price ) i.e 5000 X 10c = $500 (max possible loss).

Here is the position size in capital and margin requirement depending upon the share price, based on a position size of 5000 shares.

Share Price - Position Value
$10 - $50,000 (my total capital cash holding)
$15 - $75,000 (150% of my cash and 37.5% of my margin)
$20 - $100,000 (twice my cash holding and half my margin)

You get the picture.

Is there some other factor you use when deciding on your position size apart from stop-loss?

Or do you find you (a) normally can only trade one position at a time or (b) use some other function of your total trading capital to cap the position size to other than total risk?

Please look at my reply to your other post.. If by Tuesday after noon you still have any problems , then I will be in the room on wednesday to elaborate on these two issues. ( I will be away on Tuesday )

Quote " I risk a maximum 1% ($500) per trade. "

No you donot. Not after Tuesday .. 1% rule is a general guidline...

regards

Hi Tony ,
Grey went thro this on Friday and quite straightforward.
If u have 50k of cash u have x 4 daytrading margin= 200k

So if you then for example, divide ur cash by say 4 you can diversify into 4 posns of 12.5k each .on margin 50k.
You then would select a stock of say $30 , divide 50k by $30 , this will give u 1666.6 (say 1500) for ur posn.
You can then go and trade 3 others or invest in other instruments.
I think 5000 shares of a $30 stock ,at our stage is a bit too much to get in and out of easily.

Grey then gave us another formula to use to derive a stop loss
dependant upon a volatility multiplier and the spread at the time of taking the posn. (I've left this at the ofice sri)

Hope ive got it right Grey(lol).

Cheers
Richard