EFX Group

wasp

Legendary member
In my ever ensuing pursuit of my dream broker, I think I am coming very close...

I'm no big fan of Oanda or IB, after trying them for a month now I think they are both over rated and I want more!

Personally I require...

Comprehensive charting facilities
Reliable feeds
Competitive spreads
ECN / non dealing desk
Instant execution
All currency pairs going
Spot not futures
Easy deposit and withdrawal
Secure holding of capital

http://www.efxgroup.com/default.asp

I think this is going to fit the bill but does anyone have any experience with them at all? Can anyone answer any of the above?

The only gripe I can see at the moment is the costs ($5 per $100,000) but, unlike every other one i have tried the pro's majorly outweigh the con's (especially as that is the only one so far!).

http://www.efxgroup.com/spreads.asp > spreads
http://www.efxgroup.com/commissions.asp > comm's

About EFX Group, LLC

EFX Group is an affiliated introducing firm for MB Trading Futures (MBTF) that receives a volume based referral fee for our services. MB Trading Futures is registered with the CFTC and a member of National Futures Association (NFA) as a Futures Commission Merchant (FCM).

As one of the fastest growing currency trading firms, MBTF provides individuals, hedge funds and corporate clients with access to real-time streaming quotes, advanced trading software, fast trade executions, tight spreads, low commissions, and superior customer service.

Safety of Funds
MBTF is insured with a Fidelity Bond 14 from a member company of American International Group, Inc (AIG), which protects the assets of MBTF against loss resulting from fraudulent acts committed by the management of employees of MBTF. In the unlikely case from various types of fraud, theft, or embezzlement the Bond offers the protection up to $1,000,000 per occurrence.

Another feature of the fidelity bond is the 'Forgery or Alteration Agreement' covers loss resulting from forgery of a signature or alteration involving most types of negotiable instruments. Also, losses resulting from written instructions directed towards the insured that have been altered, or bear a false signature, are covered.

However, please be noted that the bond does not insure against risk exposure on market loss.

any opinions?

Attachments

• efx.jpg
    efx.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
You can read a little more about them on here:

http://nondealingdesk.com/

It's always comforting to obtain some feedback from others regards personal experiences etc, but eventually I guess you maybe have to bite the bullet & dip your own toe in the pool?

As long as you research a firm adequately regards protective measures, & they fit your profile/requirements, you've done your damndest to cover yourself.

Folks will always step up & carp about something or other, + everyone's style & management are different. The perfect execution model doesn't exist, long as you can tick off the primary markers, that's the best you can do?

Hotspot would no doubt fit the bill too, but they have a $7.5k minimum input, so that might deter most small end retailers.

Non-Deal Desk is surely the way to step if you're engaging across multi-session trades, & looking for fair & value execution.

Thanks ampro,

Thats great stuff and just what I was hoping for.

NDD is definately the best way to go and everything I have seen and read about them so far does certainly fit the bill except the costs. Experience is the only way forward although, it is nice to read others opions, thoughts and experiences too.

As you say, personal requirements take precedence and the more criteria met the better and I shall proceed and see how they perform.

Thanks again

wasp said:
In my ever ensuing pursuit of my dream broker, I think I am coming very close...

I'm no big fan of Oanda or IB, after trying them for a month now I think they are both over rated and I want more!

Personally I require...

Comprehensive charting facilities
Reliable feeds
Competitive spreads
ECN / non dealing desk
Instant execution
All currency pairs going
Spot not futures
Easy deposit and withdrawal
Secure holding of capital

http://www.efxgroup.com/default.asp

I think this is going to fit the bill but does anyone have any experience with them at all? Can anyone answer any of the above?

The only gripe I can see at the moment is the costs ($5 per $100,000) but, unlike every other one i have tried the pro's majorly outweigh the con's (especially as that is the only one so far!).

http://www.efxgroup.com/spreads.asp > spreads
http://www.efxgroup.com/commissions.asp > comm's

About EFX Group, LLC

EFX Group is an affiliated introducing firm for MB Trading Futures (MBTF) that receives a volume based referral fee for our services. MB Trading Futures is registered with the CFTC and a member of National Futures Association (NFA) as a Futures Commission Merchant (FCM).

As one of the fastest growing currency trading firms, MBTF provides individuals, hedge funds and corporate clients with access to real-time streaming quotes, advanced trading software, fast trade executions, tight spreads, low commissions, and superior customer service.

Safety of Funds
MBTF is insured with a Fidelity Bond 14 from a member company of American International Group, Inc (AIG), which protects the assets of MBTF against loss resulting from fraudulent acts committed by the management of employees of MBTF. In the unlikely case from various types of fraud, theft, or embezzlement the Bond offers the protection up to $1,000,000 per occurrence.

Another feature of the fidelity bond is the 'Forgery or Alteration Agreement' covers loss resulting from forgery of a signature or alteration involving most types of negotiable instruments. Also, losses resulting from written instructions directed towards the insured that have been altered, or bear a false signature, are covered.

However, please be noted that the bond does not insure against risk exposure on market loss.

any opinions?

I have just opened an account with IB to trade the Spot Forex Market but might be regretting this now...

After weeks of searching, I came across EFX/MB Trading and liked what I saw; ECN/Non Dealing Desk, technology driven platform with advanced order types, small lot trading, decent leverage, apparent responsive customer service, the list goes on...

I only steered away from MB after viewing their Residency Requirements page on their website. Viewing the list, I noticed the UK was not listed as a country in which they can accept clients from. FSA regulations, perhaps?

I contacted MB by email to clarify this, and they have just responded stating that "Clients in the UK can open FX accounts with MB Trading". A member of their support team also stated "FSA approval is not required for FX trading". Not sure about that one, perhaps someone could clarify?

Wasp... Have you any experience executing orders with IB on IDEAL during news events? I trade predominantly on fundamentals during high volatility and have heard slippage can be a problem with them but I guess that's par for the course and would probably be the same for MB. Still, anything must be an improvement on my Spreadbet firm.

http://www.efxgroup.com/newaccount.asp

EFX is the FX arm of MB trading and according to the above list, UK residents are accepted.

I am not a fundamental trader and I am usually in trades during news so I am afraid I can't really comment. Alot of complaints reign from slippage and bad fills during news announcements for various brokers and you can't argue too much as that is the nature of the beast from a retail point of view IMO.

wasp said:
Anyone here tried EFX at all?

No e-minies with this firm from what I can see so you will need a few grand to start trading.

LII fx

this is a screenshot from the LII of EFX Navigatior.

Each varying colour going down is relevant to the tier of the bank (green being tier1). According to a webinar I listened to yesterday by Justin at EFX they are networked with 11 international banks and thus you are trading not only with other traders but also the banks.

Ignorant as I am in LII this can surely only be a good thing and a further understanding of LII is required but again, another notch on the scale for EFX IMO.

Attachments

• LII screenshot.gif
    LII screenshot.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 291
EFX Group quotes on eSignal

Hi folks;

If you have eSignal, then you can get EFX group quotes.
See attached

Regards VSATrader

Attachments

• EFXgroup esignal symbols.gif
    EFXgroup esignal symbols.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 305
Interesting stuff, Wasp.

Do you know how many banks are market-making on the ECN? For IB I get the impression that there are 3 but in good size (e.g. $5m up). How do spreads and sizes compare with IB?

Also, how do stops work compared with IB where you require two prints for a stop to be triggered.

Let us know how you get on if you start actually to trade with them.

according to the webinar I listened to there is eleven. Not sure which ones or what size they are, the LII screen shows all tiers but no more.

I'm going to start trading (after so long with capitalspreads it is so nice to actually be 'trading' instead of betting against a bookies) this week, nicely lined up pre NFP and rate announcements so I can see what they are like during figure announcements too.

I'll get back next week and do some sort of comparison.

In response to a_gnome's query, can you enlighten us further on the banks through EFX?

wasp said:
In response to a_gnome's query, can you enlighten us further on the banks through EFX?

Unlike other STP ECN platforms that provide one or two bank feeds to their customers, EFX utilizes tight liquidity spreads from over a dozen of the largest banks in the world.

What does this mean for you the trader? More size available at any price. Tighter quotes. Minimal impact if one bank’s feed goes down. Spreads as tight as 1/10th of PIP.

You see everything on the EFX platform, right down to the number of mini contracts available at every pip or sub-pip increment. If one customer is selling 1 mini on the most obscure forex pair out there, you’ll know about. This provides true market pricing right at your fingertips and right in front of your eyes.

Justin LeBlang
www.efxgroup.com

How does a NDD actually work; Thought everyone might find this interesting

This is from a previous post I made on another forum.

There are many keys to understanding the Forex markets, and there are many parallels between the Forex markets today and the stock market back in 1995 and 1996 when ECN technology like ISLD and ARCA were coming about. The non-deal-desk system is the really the beginning step of the process of making the Forex markets a truly “transparent” market with “best pricing” available electronically straight to the customer. In order for there to ultimately be a true market for Forex (such as exists for stocks and futures); companies will need to take several steps to move away from the traditional (and rigged) deal desk systems. I’d like to discuss many of those steps now.

I do want to say up front that I work for a non-deal-desk platform (EFX GROUP / MBTF). I don’t want there to be any confusion about that. If someone thinks that any of my points are biased because I work for a NDD platform and not a traditional deal desk platform, I’d be happy to discuss it with them here or in private, and I will respond to any comments/questions.
These are the things that I think separate a true NDD platform, such as ours, from other platforms, and then I have some comments about the Forex market and the average Forex trader beyond that.

1) Direct access to the biggest piece of the market possible. This is really the key to it all. A deal desk is basically a trader trading against a professional on a desk who can decide when and when not to sell to them. An NDD platform, before everything else, has no one working for the platform whose job and income are based on making money against the clients of the firm. When we execute a trade, it is executed purely electronically, without bias, without human intervention, and at the best price that our system could find at the time. I think this little fact is something that people overlook. We are paid on the commission on the trade, just like in the stock, futures, and options markets. Our incentive is therefore to get the best price possible to keep the customers happy. Deal desk platforms operate in an entirely different manner. They only make money when the clients lose money. Playing with a deal desk is like gambling in Vegas. It always favors the house because of the spread. They control if and when you get executed. We have interest in the spreads being tight and the executions being the best that they can be. In fact, the better that we do for our clients, the better that we do overall.

2) Execution should be no different whether you are closing or opening a trade. Many of the traditional deal desk platforms separate positions as “open” versus “closing,” which is what leads to something like “hedging.” The reason that they do this is because they believe that the average Forex client loses 6.7% per month in Forex (NOTE: that is the average based on their system, which means some people make and some people lose). Therefore, when someone is closing a position, they usually just accept the other side. When someone is entering a position, they might not. Why should this be the case? Why should someone who is long the EURUSD and selling it get a better fill than someone who is shorting the EURUSD at the same moment? They shouldn’t. I’ll talk about hedging in a moment.

3) A related point here is therefore anonymity. The system should not care where the trade is coming from. It should not care whether that person is starting a new position or closing an existing one in the same direction. Try opening an account with a deal desk platform and trading for six months. If you are making money, then open a second account under a different name. Try to buy in both accounts at the same time. The new account will get filled, while the account that is making money might get slipped or requoted at the same moment. Why is this the case? Because the platforms (all of them) profile their clients, trade against them, and make sure that the clients who are making money start to get worse fills. Remember that if you were the guy on the desk and you took the opposite side of every trade, you would want to slow down the people that were making money too because they are making money against you by default. A true NDD platform shouldn’t care who the trade is coming from when it executes. I can tell you right now that when it comes to the EFX GROUP / MBTF system, a sell order to close a long position and a short order that are put in simultaneously on the EURUSD will be filled at the prevailing market price together, period.

4) No requoting. Deal desks mark certain accounts as “A list” clients. This means that the clients are good traders that are showing signs of being successful. “B list” clients are the rest of the client base. “B list” clients are set to auto-execute against the platform because they lose on average. “A list” clients are not. In fact, "A list" clients in a fast market are often shown pop-up windows that say “The price is no longer here, would you prefer to pay this price.” NDD platforms never requote. Either the order is marketable, or it isn’t.

5) A non-deal-desk system lets you know everything that they are making off of you. Would I rather trade on a deal desk, where I spend 3 pips to buy the EURUSD, and then later, 3 pips to sell the EURUSD, or would I rather trade on a system that lets me get executed by the true market, which includes customers and banks, with the narrowest spreads possible, and get charged a fee. The answer is the latter.

6) ECN vs. STP vs. Deal Desk. It needs to be made clear that there are really more than two types of platforms. A deal desk is a fixed spread platform where the desk makes their money in the spread trading against all of their customers. This rigs the market against the retail trader because they aren’t seeing true market quotes. The platform can move their quote wherever they need if they want to fill the client. STP (Straight Through Processing) platforms execute directly from the retail client to the banks. The more banks and liquidity in the system, the better the fills for the customer. ECN (Electronic Communications Network) platforms let customer orders interact with other customer orders. Non-deal-desk (NDD) platforms are either the second or third type of platform. EFX GROUP / MBTF are both. We have over a dozen banks in our network which customers execute against directly (STP), but we now also allow customers to hit other customers (ECN) inside of the standard pip increments of the banks. We do not shave anything against customer executions.

Having said all of that, I’d like to make a few additional points about the Forex markets, execution, and our platform. In reality, the retail Forex world is made up largely of unsophisticated traders who have not traded anything before. You can usually recognize these people because they are looking to trade at higher margin levels and expect executions that the market cannot provide. The Forex markets are more highly leveraged than the futures market. We offer 100 to 1 leverage. Professionals rarely use 20 to 1 leverage. Retail traders with no experience are constantly looking for higher leverage, up to 400 to 1, which shows their lack of experience. Few of these traders last long in the Forex markets. In addition, there are many people who think that they are “entitled” to fills because they want to buy at certain prices. This happens most commonly on “news spikes” due to economic data. People try to place market orders on the news and then are surprised if their fills arrive within a split second, but 30 or 40 or 50 pips away from where the market was before the news. Few of these people actually understand what they are trading. Let’s consider a few points.

In exchange rate terms, $0.01 of movement between the Euro and USD is 100 pips. That means that if news comes out and the EURUSD moves 30 pips in a second, that’s $0.003. In other words, it is not measurable in real terms. However, a trader trading at 100 to 1 margin may expect that they should be filled at a price that existed before the news hit. When I ask traders if they would be willing to sell the EURUSD at the price it was trading at before news hit that caused a 30 pip spike, they say no. But they expect that banks will make those prices available. In other words, they aren’t willing to accept the consequences of a “market.” Trading on economic news in the Forex world is the most dangerous type of trading that one can do. Having said that, let’s consider what the various platforms offer to protect the trader.
Traditional deal desk platforms offer very little in this regard. The trader is either buying or selling or doing nothing. Orders are largely market and stop (market) orders. However, STP and ECN platforms (which are both NDD platforms, and EFX handles BOTH of these types of orders) execute any marketable orders instantaneously. That means if you are a buyer at the market and there is a seller at a price and no one has bought from him/her ahead of you, you are filled at that price. It is a true market. There is nothing that says that you deserved to get filled 20 pips back because that would have made you money.

The Forex market has come a long way in the last two years. Traders should look for platforms that offer the following:
1) Fraud protection in the form of Fidelity bonds.
2) Segregation of client money.
3) True executions.
4) Lots of liquidity.
5) A good variety of order types, which professional traders should use to control their risk. No one should EVER place a market order when they can limit themselves to fills 5 or 10 pips above the market.

On a true STP/ECN Forex platform, no trader that understands executions should ever have issues with getting extremely bad fills (slippage). Everything should be in-line.

I have spent a lot of time watching thousands of people trade the Forex markets. Forex is a very exciting market with massive liquidity. With platforms like EFX GROUP / MBTF, which offer true STP and ECN technology, it should be a true “trader’s market,” as long as that doesn’t suggest to traders that they are entitled to fills that don’t exist in fast markets or that reckless use of market orders should always be rewarded.

When the exchange rate between the Euro and the US Dollar moves $0.01 in a day, that’s 100 pips. This is a microscopic move that is only remotely tradable because of the leverage used in the Forex markets. I think a lot of people have expectations that go well beyond reason when it comes to the Forex markets. I think that things are moving closer to a centralized market place with good regulation about the limits to which a seller or buyer can price themselves away from the market but still fill a retail client. I think within a year or two, platforms like EFX GROUP / MBTF will have completely altered the landscape of Forex just like ISLD and ARCA did in the US stock market back in 1995-7. In the meantime, stick to the platform that safeguards your money, gives you the most options, and provides you with direct, unhindered access to the liquidity that is out there. Make sure that your funds are secure from fraud and protected from co-mingling with your platform. Make sure that your funds are held on-shore, not off-shore. With all of that, it’s just about your trading skills.

Justin LeBlang
www.efxgroup.com

Is there any further news on the development of intergrating metatrader?