Four Types of Officer

TheBramble

Legendary member
Not sure why I thought this might be of interest, and I have a sneaking suspicion another member (possibly China White [where RU Man?] posted this), but anyway...

"There are only four types of officer.

First, there are the lazy, stupid ones. Leave them alone, they do no harm.

Second, there are the hard-working intelligent ones. They make excellent
staff officers, ensuring that every detail is properly considered.

Third, there are the hard-working, stupid ones. These people are a menace
and must be fired at once. They create irrelevant work for everybody.

Finally, there are the intelligent lazy ones.
They are suited for the highest office."

-General Von Manstein

Hi TheBramble,

Richard Koch, the author of "The 80/20 Principle: the secret of achieving more with less" (and several other related titles) refers to von Manstein's words thus:

Lazy and Stupid = leave alone
Hard working and stupid = fire immediately
Hard working and intelligent = Excellent staff officers
Lazy and intelligent = the "Stars"

Koch states: "...the key to becoming a star is to simulate, manufacture and deploy lazy intelligence".

Food for thought?

Not sure why I thought this might be of interest, and I have a sneaking suspicion another member (possibly China White [where RU Man?] posted this), but anyway...

-General Von Manstein

Interesting stuff and quite true - often quoted in military circles where, fortunately, there are sufficient Type 4 to compensate for all the others. However, the Uk public sector seems to be critically short of Type 4 (mainly composed of types 1 & 2)

In general I think our politicians are type 3. My vote on Traders is type 2 - I find every time I get lazy my performance suffers.

Didn't Manstein write the manual for (WW1)tank warfare which was the principal work of reference for the WW2 Panzer divisions? I think they lost.

Grant.

Thank you for the reference. It is actually availble in my local "cheap" book shopfor about £3-£4. I keep picking it up, and putting it down. It certainly looks an interesting read - the German Army prior to the Nazis. Unfortunately, I've so many books still unread i'll Iwait till I have the room.

There's an autobiography by Marshall Zhukov which I reckon will be a good read.

Grant.

Unfortunately, I've so many books still unread i'll Iwait till I have the room.
Grant.

Grant

I know what you mean. I've got loads of unread books many of which I've spent most time reading in the shop before buying! (Bit like historic data - always there if you need it)

-General Von Manstein

Lovely :)

Think that classification applies all the time and in all walks of life.

I've always believed that the harder you try, the less you achieve.

Or, more precisely, the harder you try / the more you fiddle around, the less the outcome is going to resemble what you had originally envisioned.

A major hurdle on the path to greater success and happiness is that most societies value empty activism as a legitimate end in itself, as opposed to what it really is, no more than a means that is only to be employed with great circumspection and very sparingly.

Unfortunately, being seen as doing something, no matter how nonsensical, ineffective or counterproductive the result may be, tends to be viewed far more favorably than doing nothing most of the time.

And that in spite of the fact that it's always the "leastest" input that generates the "mostest" desired output, as per our old friend Pareto and his 20 / 80 Rule, unfortunately for us most humans just aren't wired to be able to sit back, let events unfold, and reap the eventual rewards.

There was a time however when Pareto or effectivity were in far greater favor, I'm simplifying slightly here for the sake of argument, but effectively you British built an Empire where you didn't actually have to do anything much, you didn't send armies across the globe to conquer through battles and carnage, nope, you did most of it through treaties and consensus, without almost any bloodshed.

Most amazing bit of Empire building in history, I believe.

In the same vein, your ruling classes had a very commendable work ethic based on results, not processes, one where it was considered bad form to show up in offices long before noon, or overstay ones welcome there as afternoon turned into evening.

Can't imagine them in todays world where people actually feel important or God knows what if they can boast of the endless hours they've wasted in meetings or unproductively doodling around in their offices, forever reacting, always extinguishing the latest fire, never proactively formulating clear objectives / stretch goals without worrying about how to achieve them.

That's all you really need, though, isn't it. Clear cut objectives. Once you have those down pat, tactics and the means to your end will sort themselves out as you approach your objective.