Best Thread The Options edge (Writing Vs Buying)

Profitaker said:
Welcome to the thread benticat

Precisely. Anyone that doesn't understand this fundamental point shouldn't go anywhere near an option.

FRIENDS,
Thats what you learn in the first month in options. Then comes the rest below:

If you dont know how to deal with BLACK SWANS and a STEAM ROLLER!! YOU SHOULD NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR OPTIONS!!

also if your NOT approved by your broker!!?? You should take his advice to keep away from TRADED OPTIONS!!

ALSO IF YOU DONT KNOW THE MALTESE BULL METHOD OF TRADING OPTIONS YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR MONEY SAFE IN THE BANK OR IN PREMIUM BONDS!!!! or kept safe under your mattress!!

FINALLY IF YOUR NOT AT THE ADVANCED STAGE IN OPTIONS??? YOU SHOULDN'T GO ANY WHERE NEAR OPTIONS NOT EVEN GO ONTO THE OPTIONS THREADS.!! Why? cause the sharks will take it off you and you WILL LEARN BAD HABITS THAT ARE HARD TO SHAKE OFF!!! AND AS A RESULT YOU WILL BECOME ONE MORE IN THE MAJORITY THAT LOSE IN OPTIONS!! :LOL:
Thats just a few tips for free my friends!!! :cool: .

And lastly you will need the right broker!! IB will NOT be suitable for those that are in the MINORITY!! [their rules are NOT suitable for advanced traders] They are OK if you want to remain in the majority.

Paddy

Last edited:
No advanced option trader will accept these trading rules from IB. These rules are HUGELY to your disadvantage! Plz find a broker with better rules than these before you start trading Options.

IB Margin Overview .

IB calculates initial margin requirements at the time of each trade, maintenance margin requirements on a real-time basis, and Reg T margin at the end of each day, and will LIQUIDATE POSITIONS on a real-time basis if there is a MARGIN DEFICIENCY. Real-time margining allows IB to maintain low commissions because IB does not have to spread the cost of credit losses to customers like other non-automated brokers.

All of the calculations below as well as other real-time account statistics can be found in the TWS account window. For a detailed description of the account window and its underlying calculations, see the TWS User's Guide.

It should be noted that all liquidation are subject to the normal commission schedule. Advisor clients will not be subject to advisor fees for any liquidating transaction.

New Position Margin Calculations

Upon submission of an order request, a check is made against real-time available funds. If available funds including the order request >=0 the order is submitted, if it is negative the order is rejected. The following calculations are used to determine available funds:

Securities available funds = Securities equity with loan value - Securities initial margin requirement.

Commodities available funds = Commodities net liquidation value - Commodities initial margin requirement

In addition, you are required to have a minimum of $2,000 or USD equivalent of securities equity with loan value or commodities net liquidation value to open a new position.

Maintenance Margin Calculations

On a real-time basis, excess liquidity is checked to ensure that it's >=0, if it is negative the account is subject to liquidation on a real-time basis. The following calculations are used to determine excess liquidity:

Securities excess liquidity = Securities equity with loan value - Securities maintenance margin requirements

Commodities excess liquidity = Commodities net liquidation value - Commodities maintenance margin requirements

Reg T End of Day Margin Calculations

At the end of each US trading day (15:50-16:00 ET), a Special Memorandum Account (SMA) is checked to ensure that it's > =0, if it is negative the account is subject to liquidation. In addition, no cash withdrawal will be allowed that causes SMA to go negative on a real-time basis. SMA is calculated for all securities (stocks and options) regardless of country of trading as follows:

Special Memorandum Account=Maximum ((Equity with Loan Value - initial margin requirements), (Prior Day SMA +/- change in day's cash +/- initial margin requirements*))

* Calculated at the end of the day under US margin rules. ** Calculated at the time of the trade under US margin rules. Margin Models

Margin requirements are calculated either on a rules basis or a risk basis.

For rule based margin systems, predefined, static calculations are applied to each position or predefined groups of positions (“strategies”). The following instruments are margined using rule based margins:

US stocks, index options, and stock options

Canadian stocks, index options, and stock options

Dutch index and stock options The calculations for each of these products are described under the Trading/Margin pulldown menu.

For risk based margin systems, exchanges consider the maximum one day risk on all the positions in a complete portfolio, or subportfolio together (for example, a future and all the options delivering that future). The general calculation method is as follows:

Exchange assigns scanning ranges for price movements, volatility shifts, and other risk directions. The ranges are based on observations of historical performance of the underlying instrument.

Every instrument (stock/option/future) is valued over the ranges of price, volatility, etc. The resultant value matrix is distributed to Interactive Brokers on a daily basis.

IB values the (sub)portfolio over the matrix and determines the worst case scenario loss using standard models approved by the exchange.

The margin is calculated as the difference between the current portfolio value and the worst case value Margin requirements for each underlying are listed on the appropriate exchange site for the contract. A summary of the requirements for the major futures contract requirements as well as links to the exchange sites is available on our Futures Margin Requirements page.

Restriction on Leverage

There is a real-time check on overall position leverage, as follows: The Gross Position Value cannot be more than 50 times the Adjusted Net Liquidation Value. Alternatively, this can be expressed as:

2% securities gross position value > Net liquidation value - Futures option value Liquidations may occur if the Gross Position Value exceeds more than 50 times the liquidation value.

Universal Account

Although the Universal AccountSM should be viewed as a single account for trading and account monitoring purposes, for regulatory and segregation purposes, there exists a separate securities and commodities account. If there is a margin deficit in either your securities or commodities account, cash will be immediately transferred to protect the margin deficit. At the end of each day, any excess cash in your commodities account will be swept to your securities account.

benticat said:
@Profitaker
Hello :)

Hello my friend Irish,

yeah I joined long ago. Normally I`m not posting, just reading - shame on me!

Thanks for your offer but I do not need your advice how to deal with black swans cause my optionstrading style is designed to profit from these events! AND I never wrote that your trading style is wrong or that mine is better. Doubtless it's possible to make a good livin' by writing options. The follow up strategies are the important thing. Simple buying or writing will give nobody an edge.

Bye and good luck

My friend,

I was NOT trying to be bad/hard to you at all!! I was trying to save you from yourself and simply saying, that you need more time on learning options. And that you need to be an expert to profit from options or you need a good tutor to hold your hand. It also seems that your already brainwashed [by siding with Mr Profitaker] on your understanding/views on options by making those comments especially the last one!

Happy trading and keep watching/learning cause you need more advice!! whether you know it or not!!

I strongly reccommend you start FIRST by learning the options rules set by brokers!! you may be surprised to find little black swans hiden there!! :cool: [if you read carefully]

Just a bit curious my friend, will you be gettin a phone call a week in advance from the professor/broker warning you that the BLACK SWAN IS ON ITS WAY?

Paddy

Last edited:
Bulldozer's (aka 16 year old irishp) previous strategy:

1. Rant about options writers' edge.
2. Insult everyone
3. Rant about the horrors of trading with IB.
4. Begin Old Testament style religious rants.
5. Request to be banned (as if it wasn't about to happen anyway!)

We're true to form on 1, 2, and 3, must we wait for 4 and 5 or can we just end this torturous thread now? When did banned members returning under another nick become ok anyway?

I see your forum at http://www.citybulls.com/ has had 20 posts in the last month...18 from you and 2 from irishpaddy. I can see that talking to yourself must become a little boring but is it really necessary to come here and post all your nonsense for the second time?

irishpaddypc said:
Mr Pro,

I did make a selection of a trade on this thread which came to over £9,000 income! do you want me to show you another wiv higher takings?? :cool:

If you want to talk about Options strategies? here below is a thread that can be used for that purpose:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=17561

Paddy blue boy

Irishpaddypc I have given you every chance to calm down, be civil and actually add some useful content to the site but - though for a second it actually looked like you might - your recent posts sadly consist of the same old repetitive drivel and talking down to other members. You are once again destroying yet another thread with your posts.

I also gave you the benefit of the doubt as to whether you were in fact bulldozer. However, judging by your post above it would seem that you are indeed one and the same. Bulldozer asked to be banned but would have been banned anyway, due to his last few posts on the site. As you know banned members are not allowed to return under a new nickname unless invited to by admin. You have had more chances than you deserve and now my only option is to ban you, again. It is a pity as I feel that had you been able to control yourself and not pretend to be someone else you actually had something useful to offer. Goodbye.

There's a lot of rubbish talked about options. Even more rubbish talked about hedging, but we're talking about a science and an art- you have to be part rocket scientist part barrow boy. I'm 90% barrow boy 11% rocket scientist! Long may we take money out of the market, and as traders perhaps unite in our quest?

Peto - some good detective work there !!!

Frugi - thank **ck for that !

But make no mistake - he'll be back....

Windlesham1

"Long may we take money out of the market, and as traders perhaps unite in our quest"

Absolutely !

Anone that sold DOTM puts (delta <0.10) in any meaningful quantity would be facing massive margin calls by now. It's almost a shame that Bulldozer isn't here to explain how he managed to miss this most recent steamroller - again !

However, some decent IV in the June ESX.

Profitaker said:
Anone that sold DOTM puts (delta <0.10) in any meaningful quantity would be facing massive margin calls by now. It's almost a shame that Bulldozer isn't here to explain how he managed to miss this most recent steamroller - again !

However, some decent IV in the June ESX.
His brokers apparently give him a few days, so I guess he is hoping for the steamroller to find reverse gear. In his website he says he is buying calls, which fits with the above strategy but not with his 'option writers edge' theory!

peto said:
His brokers apparently give him a few days...
Wouldn't that contravene FSA regulations ? I thought margin requirements were there to protect clients as well as brokers.

Having read his bizarre ramblings over the past year, I wouldn't believe anything says.

Profitaker said:
Wouldn't that contravene FSA regulations ? I thought margin requirements were there to protect clients as well as brokers.

Having read his bizarre ramblings over the past year, I wouldn't believe anything says.

Iirc (this is from the late 80's tho'), the brokers margin relationship is with its clearer. As long as the broker is within net margin on all it's postions then everything is ok.

In Bulls*****r's case, he claimed a legal contract existed between him and his broker giving him 3 or 5 days (can't remember which) grace to meet a magin call. If the broker wants to take on this risk then that's their problem.

So, his rants against IB (whose rules seem pretty sensible to me) are based on his use of a broker willing to accept a clients word that they are good for the money with his main option "strategy" being "if you thing the market is going up then sell long dated puts".

Hey, you decide.

I have traded like a twit, selling a few DOTM puts, and not closing them off when I had the chance( I normally have bear put and bull call spreads,which protect the teenies) But I did meet the afoermentioned Bulldozer, who was advocating the sale of such things. The rules are that you should never meet a margin call, adjust or take the hit. Your broker has discretion on margin,but IB is automated and netts off all trades, in the event of margin being exceeded. I've heard many a woeful tale of this with IB. The answer? Don't use them for options trades unless they are all longs/ long spreads. The futures platform works ok- a little cranky,and the trailing stop is not to be trusted,but it's useable. Happy trading one and all

DB

I wouldn’t have thought it was a legal contract giving him 3 or 5 days grace. If that were so surely the broker could go bankrupt ?

But even if it were true (which I very much doubt), being given more time to stump up on margin wouldn’t necessarily help him. On the contrary it could make things worse if the position(s) went further against him.

Windlesham1

That’s the lure of selling DOTM options, calls as well as Puts. They expire worthless far more often than they expire ITM, and I confess I have been sorely tempted on many an occasion. But when they do expire ITM watch out !

Now might be a good time to review the Bulls****rs strategy to see how it would have fared this month;

2 weeks ago, with the index at 6083 the May 5875 Puts had a delta of 0.10 delta, DOTM. 2 weeks ago you could have sold these Puts for 7.5p and laughed at the mug punter that bought them. As Bulls****r often did.

Today, as I type those puts are trading at 231 ask ! Anyone selling those in sufficient volume to generate a reasonable income would be wiped out by now.

The writer has no edge. Neither does the buyer.

Windlesham1 said:
But I did meet the afoermentioned Bulldozer, who was advocating the sale of such things. The rules are that you should never meet a margin call, adjust or take the hit.
Neat trick, how do you do that then? Jump on the first plane back to Malta? Or change your name to IrishPaddy "t'be sure I never sold tem options atallatall"?

Profitaker said:
DB

I wouldn’t have thought it was a legal contract giving him 3 or 5 days grace. If that were so surely the broker could go bankrupt ?

But even if it were true (which I very much doubt), being given more time to stump up on margin wouldn’t necessarily help him. On the contrary it could make things worse if the position(s) went further against him.

If the broker is willing to take that risk in order to keep the business (which I'm sure would involve verty cut down charges) then more fool them imho. When the sh*t hits the fan, it only takes one rougue client to blow a firm out.
Anyone who thinks that exchange margin rules are constant is deluding themselves (vis recent margin hikes in the copper market).

Last edited:
A Dashing Blade said:
When the sh*t hits the fan, it only takes one rougue client to blow a firm out.
Exactly. For that very reason I wouldn't have thought any broker would entertain giving anybody 3 days to put right a margin call. I suspect it's another extension of the truth from the master Bulls***er himself.

Talking of margin;

An option buyer can blow his account up and nobody gives a monkey's. An option writer on the other hand is subject to strict margin rules.

Anyone consider that to be an advantage ?

...who has the edge?

I just want to add the following results of
William R. Gallacher in The Options Edge - Winning the Volatility Game with Options on Futures

regards

benticat

It's an interesting read. Don't know if you've read it, but for other that haven't;

He looks at many options markets, and all of the data he used for analysis actually forms half the book - just in case there is any doubt.