your most memerable trade?

Making nearly 2200pt YM/Dow in a day when the markets were yo-yoing up and down last year was a highlight. Leaving a Nikkei position overnight in the early days of spreadbetting and finding it had gapped about 500pt the wrong way was the lowlight.

Making nearly 2200pt YM/Dow in a day when the markets were yo-yoing up and down last year was a highlight. Leaving a Nikkei position overnight in the early days of spreadbetting and finding it had gapped about 500pt the wrong way was the lowlight.

what was the stakes?

mine personally was trading at a prop firm few years ago and decided to go wild, trading 33 contracts on ES and made 287 points on them, that was a+ £473k pre tax gain, the next day i made 130 k, day after that i made 2k lol.

Thursday I stupidly placed 3 trades on a down day forgetting that unemployment rate was coming out on Friday and I even managed to go on margin with one of the trades accidently. Next day, I'm up 10% and I close out my positions which were down 10% the day before. 9.4, I love that number.

Memorable operations...

QM (mini Sweet Oil).
I open a long position. It came against me :(
Close and open short. It went up.
Close quickly and open long again. It reverses :(
I reversed the position. It went against me again.
I enter long once more time. It hit me again :mad:
Result: 2k$ loss in about 15 minutes.... but one lesson learned :eek:

Now one with happy ending:
I open a short position (at least I thought I click in SELL). Price went up against me. 30 minutes later I couldn't bear the pain and decided to close.
Surprise!!!!! The position was long!!!!! :eek:
Probably I click the wrong button, I can't find other explanation.

My mate who had just been fired (for being crap) sent me a picture message of the warehouse on fire at the Olympic site, probably a couple of years back now.

I lifted a load of schatz and the news had yet to be released on the wires. Schatz started ticking lower, I started twitching then it came out as breaking news on Sky....the rest is history.

I once left a working offer in the Stoxx one morning, which got filled at the high (to the tick) of a spike on a figure, I forget which. Anyway, I'm trading away when I see my P & L going all funny, look at my ladders, see that I'm 48 ticks onside in a trade I had no idea about. Hey ho.

I have 3 memorable NFP trades. First was back in spreadbetting days with Deal4free (became cmc) I thought I was clever and placed what seemed like a sensible straddle on Eurusd cash and futures and Usdchf cash and futures. Straddling all 4 instruments with 2 opposing buy/sell orders 50pips from market a few mins before NFP release. What seemed like a simple trade saw my brain turn to trifle as price reacted to NFP triggering one order on each instrument, before it began to whipsaw around. Needless to say I closed out for a loss.

The 2nd was another straddle when I had envisaged 3 reaction scenarios to the release, the worse of the 3 being a 'middling' number, market confusion and whipsawing, needless to say just seconds before the release price whipsawed up to put me in the market, then moved violently down to put me in the other way as well, before settling in the middle for a while, ....I had to sit it out and close the opposing order when price returned to one of the levels, holding the other order open to recover the opposing loss. I eventually came out at B/e net.

The 3rd and the only profitable one of the 3 was when a few minutes before the release the newsfeeds started to trail that the then U.s Treasury Sec John Snow would appear on the business channels after the release and I figured that he was being whelled out to 'talk up' a bad number...this proved to be the case and I went long eurusd seconds before the release for a nice gain.

These days I am more often than not flat ahead of it and will play the first retrace/pullback and re-entery if they set-up well.

Interesting that the only one where you showed a profit was the only one where I'd say you were actually trading BB.....

Wowsa haha you were in on that eh.

What a ride, hope it made you one heck of a bundle.

Now for a serious response from me. I don't really have any really memorable trades, it's a bit lame and uninteresting to me. But where better to start than trade #1. I was in university, i'd always been a bit risk averse but I had always some interest from being around stock market/talking with dad about it since a young age.

I had some savings/student loan lying around. I looked for a ftse100 stock that seemed to be volatile (as volatility was good I considered, and it probably still is.) Off I went, I bought KAZ - some mining company. Few days later, I closed for 14% profit, I thought I was a genius and that was the start of it all....

Few days later, I closed for 14% profit, I thought I was a genius and that was the start of it all....

My very first trade with money, no papertrading, I made 8% buying shares of ACS (spanish market) in a couple of days. I thought it was so easy...
it was the start of the end :LOL:

My very first trade with money, no papertrading, I made 8% buying shares of ACS (spanish market) in a couple of days. I thought it was so easy...
it was the start of the end :LOL:

It's clearly a mm trick:

step 1: Identify new traders
step 2:let them get a good profit on trade 1
step 3:new trader thinks they're a genius
step 4: deposit more money so they can trade bigger size
step 5: oh noes! Suddenly i'm losing?!? :LOL:

(some steps may apply to me especially #4 :p)

Thats true enough.

Never an easy person apparently, highly complicated and somewhat depression prone all his life.

Tragic and entirely unnecessary ending for what was a guy who started with very little and turned that into so much.

Back when the bund fat finger happened, i was heavily long the bund went from a healthy profit to printing down a 7 figure sum, ended up buying a fraction more near the bottom only to get them cancelled, but in the end still managed to turn a profit