Would you be happy with 15% a year?

I'd like to know how the traders across this forum would react to a 15% annual return, would you be happy with that return?

Today, I think it's an excellent return... but 3 years ago, when I read you could make 5-10% a week across the retail trading spectrum, I would of thought it wasn't worth getting out of bed for in relation to what I others were saying was possible.

Trading capital is a very important factor when considering return as it's directly relative to your trading capital e.g. 15% of £10,000 (£1,500) isn't going to change your life... but 15% of £500,000 (£75,000) is a respectable sum and would put you in a top 5 percent of salaries across the UK.

When you look at compounding 15% annually, it becomes even more impressive. See the following balance growing at 15% a year:

Start Balance
£10,000

Year Balance
1 £11,500.00
2 £13,225.00
3 £15,208.75
4 £17,490.06
5 £20,113.57

That's over 100% return in 5 years.

So... do you think 15% a year is worth getting out of bed for? I'm interested to see the opinions on this.

NO !

Lets face it 15% wont cut it for us , you need 300k account size to start feel the outcome = 45K annually = 3.75K monthly .

Life is short and painful 15% annually isnt for me ...

I would not be happy with 15% a year.

Unless the account is very large its a pretty poor return, certainly not enough to live off.

You can achieve far higher returns than that with a good strategy and proper implementation.

15% a year, risking 2% with a 10-20SL is only 150-300 pips a year. Not exactly hard.
My current openpositions are up 15.3% and thats trading off 4HR charts for about 2 hours a day. higher % and more consistent returns are possible trading intra day with tighter SL's and a larger amount of trades. Its just a numbers game after all, you never know when your losers or winners come along, just execute your trading plan consistently and if you are using a proftable strategy you will make over time.
With daily or 4HR you might be profitable on average each month to each quarter. With 1HR, most months but some weeks will be down. With intra day you can expect to be profitable most weeks/months.

Its good to be realistic and keep realistic expectations, however you do need to be somewhat ambicious about it too.

Don't shoot to be a millionaire overnight, but work on a reasonable return and be patient, consistent, not put off by the odd drawdown and compound your account slowly while managing risk.

If a strategy gives you 15 percent a year then employ it and move on. There is nothing stopping you from having a basket of strategies that collectively contribute. To state that you wouldn't be happy with that is nonsensical.

If a strategy gives you 15 percent a year then employ it and move on. There is nothing stopping you from having a basket of strategies that collectively contribute. To state that you wouldn't be happy with that is nonsensical.

It doesn't work that way . You cant trade multi strategies with the same amount of money and expect to have the same max drawdown and the same margin requirements . Yes it may work and your annual return will increase but ...

It doesn't work that way . You cant trade multi strategies with the same amount of money and expect to have the same max drawdown and the same margin requirements . Yes it may work and your annual return will increase but ...
I have been trading that way for years through different accounts

I have been trading that way for years through different accounts

So why not trade 100 strategies each producing 15% annually ? Result = 1500% annual return .

Get the point now ?

Who do you think I am, superman? There is a limit to what I can do so I really don't see your point

I understood the question as would you be happy with 15% return a year.
Not would you be happy to execute one strategy that returns 15%, however your overall return can be much higher...

Of course you can employ multiple strategies as long as you seperate the accounts so the drawdown is acceptable etc.

Reactions: tar
What you are suggesting here is nonsensical ...
Don't assume I am trading a method that returns 15 percent. All my methods return much more than that,however, if I had the bandwidth, i would happily take on a method that returns 15 percent. It's obviously not feasible as a living but as a long term growth it makes perfect sense.

I understood the question as would you be happy with 15% return a year.
Not would you be happy to execute one strategy that returns 15%, however your overall return can be much higher...

Of course you can employ multiple strategies as long as you seperate the accounts so the drawdown is acceptable etc.

+1 Exactly ...

According to this suggestion one could buy all governments bonds to get much higher returns = 5% + 3% + 7% + .. etc = 200% annual return from bonds investing !

Today i am going to buy all dow stocks cfds , if the dow rises 1% then i am going to make 1% average return per stock times 30 stocks thats 30% whopping return on me capital in a single day (y)

okay Tar it seems like you are trying to take the p!ss out of me. You are the only one here suggesting (assuming) that i am coming from an angle whereby trading 10% here, 15% there all adds up to a huge percentage gain. Exactly where did i suggest this? you seem to be one of those people that either can't read or half reads then assumes something else. Please highlight where i have suggested logic along the lines of "5% + 3% + 7% + .. etc = 200%". As far as i can see i have only suggested that having 15% a year is perfectly fine for me using a method in a dedicated account. where in that have you extrapolated this bull5hit