Worldspreads; WorldSpreads shares down after loss warning

As most of the traders I agree that WS had to get the basics right before expanding... I think 100k competition was good for them but since their trading platform is one of the worst I don't see them retaining many newly acquired customers... I'm definitely not coming back...

Well I spoke to WS about my constant referrals and I was told this:
'Everyone gets referred on their first trade of the day, and if you are the first person to trade a particular stock that also results in a refferal. There is nothing on your account suggesting you should be referred on every trade'.
So it looks like I'm betting on stocks that no-one else is touching with a barge pole!

Well I spoke to WS about my constant referrals and I was told this:
'Everyone gets referred on their first trade of the day, and if you are the first person to trade a particular stock that also results in a refferal. There is nothing on your account suggesting you should be referred on every trade'.
So it looks like I'm betting on stocks that no-one else is touching with a barge pole!

WTF?!! Did they tell you that you need to kiss the blarney stone, whilst clutching your lucky shamrock, otherwise the pikey gypsy curse wouldn't be removed?

Shouldn't be surprised, have you seen their offices?

pikey%2520mansion.JPG

Wouldnt it be great if you get direct futures prices but wrapped up as a spread bet? For less comm than prospreads?! that'd be great ;)

I'm kicking myself for not having shorted LCG a year ago at 120p - I just don't believe in the economics of white labels.

Hi geewcee, did you speak to WS? Being referred for £1 pp sounds a little harsh!

Once CMC get the full range of LSE markets launched on their next gen platform I'm going there anyway. I'll give Worldspreads a buzz on Monday and ask why I'm getting referrals everytime. I wouldn't mind but I'm hardly a big player, most of my trades are £1 per point.

I'm kicking myself for not having shorted LCG a year ago at 120p - I just don't believe in the economics of white labels.

although RBS is a white label, and Barclays too iirc..but yep for white labels, that rely on SB as their sole income, it's a slow death IMHO.

although RBS is a white label, and Barclays too iirc..but yep for white labels, that rely on SB as their sole income, it's a slow death IMHO.

This is what it says on RBS spread-betting:
Financial Spread Betting services are provided by CMC Spreadbet Plc (trading as RBS Spread Trading) to whom you have been introduced by NatWest Stockbrokers Limited.
[...]
So their spread-betting is a white label of CMC.

For Barclays, it says:
Barclays Stockbrokers CFDs and Barclays Stockbrokers Financial Spread Trading services are trading names of City Index Limited (CI) whose registered office is Park House, Finsbury Circus, London EC2M 7EB.
So they are a white label of City Index.

I just mention that in case anyone got the impression that they were white labels of LCG. (I'm not saying that that is what you said, Black Swan, but people sometimes get the wrong end of the stick, especially where white labels are concerned, or so it seems).

However, when you say ....
but yep for white labels, that rely on SB as their sole income, it's a slow death IMHO.

....I wonder why? For a start, none of them relies on SB as their sole income. That is to say, it might be that the spread-betting is isolated from their core business, and run as a separate business, but most of them seem to be spun off a much larger business, as is the case with the two above.

But even if it were, I don't see that it's a bad business model at all.

The business that is taking most of the risk, as I see it, is the company running the trading platform. If it makes a profit, it has to pay a commission to the company "owning" the white label (i.e. RBS or Barclays in the above cases), which they get for doing very little. If it makes a loss, then presumably it just has to stand that loss (unless their agreement states otherwise). The platform-running customer benefits from getting more customers to its trading platform (recruited by the white label, although it may be a fairly passive form of recruitment....existing customers who feel like branching out), so it's pretty much a win-win, provided the trading platform company (i.e. CMC and City Index in the above cases), know what it is doing.

Hi geewcee, did you speak to WS? Being referred for £1 pp sounds a little harsh!
I did speak to them and they basically told me they were going to carry on doing it so last week I closed down my account and moved elsewhere.

The economics of white labelling doesn't work? I don't understand the logic. I agree with montmorencyt2w - it's a win-win isn't it? They get a commission and the SB firm get the benefit of the white label's brand.

I reckon a lot of white labels will disappear, and some of the weaker independent players will too. Perhaps if we had excellence, from 3-4 sources all competing on innovation and service, then we'd be doing OK.

They should be safe so far as the white labels clients don't use their brains too much and continue paying extra for nothing.

Sort of 'no extensive brain usage' business model;)