Women who trade

dobbor

Hi
I'm a journalist interested in talking to women who trade in groups. Ideally, they would meet as a group at one person's home and discuss spread betting etc over a bottle of wine....
I understand these groups have great success than the fellas!
Please get in touch if you would like to feature in a glossy women's weekly title and are happy to be photographed and interviewed.
Thanks for your help,
Best
Rachel
[email protected]

Rachel, good luck with your research, but I'd be surprised (and interested) if you locate any such group.

Women tend to be in a minority still in the retail trading world. While the 'chatting about spread-betting over a bottle of wine' scenario sounds cosy (count me in) - it also seems a little alien - even for women!

It's a largely solitary pursuit and doesn't in my experience lend itself well to group activity. Discussion possibly - but not actually trading.

It's a biological fact that women can process verbal and non-verbal thought streams in parallel (find me a woman who can't listen to more than one conversation at a time) so in theory, group trading would likely be more possible and certainly more attractive to the socially oriented gender than it would be for us guys, but even with a group (on t2w) of around 30,000, I think you might be disappointed.

From your website you seem to be looking for the one-in-a-million angle so just finding a successful spread-better (female or otherwise) would be a coup.

Kidding - just kidding....! :cool:

Rachel
Over the years I have only ever heard that women make better investors than men, not traders.
If there is some evidence that they are better traders then I have never seen it.
The reason that they make better investors is that they are more careful and less inclined to leap in and out of investments and by so doing allow the slow rise in the overall markets to do the work for them over time.

Glenn

Come along to the Taunton meeting (see T2W home page) and find out how many women there are in the SW who trade.. rather a high percentage ;)

It isn't a women only group though, but the meetings have been well attended every month since Nov 1999 without fail!

Last edited:
Racer said:
And I wonder how many groups would still be running after all these years.. e.g. the SW one, if a man was in charge!

Hmmmm.... well you should see the accounts of my shareclub!

Backs up your theory, unfortunately! :cry:

UTB

Hello Rachel, So many men posting their "opinions" about us women here! LOL!!
Anyway, I am a woman, i look after my 2 babies,I try and look after hubby,i work part time as a lending advisor, i sometimes present on radio/TV and guess what! I do trade too!!!(Spreadbetting)
Woman! who'd have em hey! they should be tied to the kitchen sink....with the computer!LOL;-)
bakula

come on guys - the ice is getting thin :)

(or am I just miffed that my wife outperforms me most years with her intuitive pick and holds) :rolleyes:

TheBramble said:
Does she trade too?

Well, she just breezes in from time to time and says "buy xyz for me would you". It's really galling when I've spent hours with my pretty pictures, drawing all those clever lines and she beats me to the punch on the same stock.

Mine likes time in the sales and always knows what the dumb girls will be wearing when the next bar opens.

By the time it does, she's already marked up the price and sold the lot to them, in every size.

To all the ladies who complained about my joke posts on this thread ( subsequently edited out ), I stand before you with head bowed and deeply shamed.

I am willing to travel to the towns in which you each live and offer myself up for public floggings with an instrument of your choice. Simply PM me to inform me of the town and exact location, date and time in which this penance will take place.

I will never be able to live with the shame and will forever walk in public places with my head covered so nobody can recognise me.

I will even trade with my head covered in sack cloth and ashes in order to symbolically demonstrate my shame to the electronic trading community.

Woe is me, arggh the shame of it all.

Last edited:
By the way, I am visiting Leeds today so if any of you live in Leeds, I will be outside Leeds Town Hall at noon wearing both a red rose and a deeply penitent look.

ok, ok everyone's said their piece and made their feelings plain. Can we draw a line by saying, on the one hand, that the jokes were never intended to offend and, on the other, that some jokes do cause offence to those who are the butt of them.

I'm about to delete tonights exchanges - because they are entirely off the topic of the thread as started by Rachel. Hope she doesn't get ideas for a different sort of story in her glossy mag :LOL:

good trading all

jon

If the thread were to be continued in " Joke of the Day " would it then be considered as off topic, O venerable Barjon, master of all moderators ?