Wizard's rules

All this psycho stuff is beyond my tiny mind.

All I know is that for too many people:
Perception is all
You see what you wish to see.
You do not see what you choose not to see.
Your pre-conceptions control what you see.
The rest is semantics.

But then you move on to see what there is to see and enlightenment comes. And strangely peace and contentment. And tolerance.

Getting from the first set of "seeings" to truly seeing is what many never bother to do and fear to do because it is too threatening to their awareness and "beliefs". They do not wish to destabilise their own worlds. And sometimes they have a vague, inchoate sense of potential alienation from their existences and their existing connections with the world - they think their sanity is at stake.

Only when they reach the state of seeing only what there is to see, do they actually reach the state of existence in which they might be content.

But hey, what do I know, I just trade.
Richard

Last edited:
An example of how the truth can fool us.

I cross the same street at the same place, at the same time of day, every day for the last 40 years.
The truth is, this is a safe practice.

On the 1st day of the 41st year, a truck comes out of nowhere and runs over and hurts / kills me.

Was I not fooled by the truth?

Not until that last day did it become an unsafe practice.

No, you simply failed to take probability into account. In your example, 14599 out of 14600 times you cross the road without incident. This breeds complacency. The other 0.00684% of the time you are hurt or die. A Black Swan event perhaps, but it was always likely to happen eventually, unless you bothered to look left and right before crossing. :)

An example of how the truth can fool us.

I cross the same street at the same place, at the same time of day, every day for the last 40 years.
The truth is, this is a safe practice.

On the 1st day of the 41st year, a truck comes out of nowhere and runs over and hurts / kills me.

Was I not fooled by the truth?

Not until that last day did it become an unsafe practice.

In your above example the actual truth was that you could always have been killed and what allowed you to be killed was your "Perception" of what the truth of the situation was and not the actual truth.

In the world in which we live truth is a changing thing and we have learned to make it relative especially in the Western world. Real truth is unchanging but searching for it and understanding it has been the lifelong search of millions of people in the past and will continue to be into the future all in my view of course.

Paul

Mr. Charts said:
All this psycho stuff is beyond my tiny mind.

Yes, me too.
The thing is, when I seen this quote framed as a "rule", I thought what a great way to take a complex subject and reduce it down to the bare essentials.

Trying to follow all the branches that lead off from this statement can be very confusing, and in the end, for me, lead back to the beginning.

In the world in which we live truth is a changing thing and we have learned to make it relative especially in the Western world. Real truth is unchanging but searching for it and understanding it has been the lifelong search of millions of people in the past and will continue to be into the future all in my view of course.

In the case of morality, for instance, we can never be sure whether right and wrong are relative or absolute values and thus are unlikely, at least from our subjective perspective, to ever know what the "real" truth is, if indeed such a thing exists at all. This does not mean of course that the "real" truth does not exist, but for our purposes it is futile, though often very stimulating, to try and prove one way or t'other. Good succinct post as ever Paul.

Anyway a discussion of ethics is unwelcome at this juncture, so I will leave it. :)

Some of the responses on this thread are very insightful and thought provoking. Thank you all for replying.

After I started this thread I got to thinking about looking up the source of these “wizard rules” on the internet. What do you know, I found it.
The source is from the “Sword of Truth” series by Terry Goodkind. I’ve only read 4 of the 9 books so far. But as I said, I was impressed with the way complex subjects were reduced to simple rules.
Below is a list of all the wizard rules I found.
I guess I’ll have to wait till I read the 9th book before I understand how to interpret the last rule. So far, that one has me stumped.

Wizard's First Rule. People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to be true or fear to be true.

Wizard's Second Rule. The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.

Wizard's Third Rule. Passion rules reason.

Wizard's Fourth Rule. There is magic in forgiveness -the magic to heal! In the forgiveness you grant, and more so in the forgiveness you receive.

Wizard's Fifth Rule. Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.

Wizard's Sixth Rule. The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason.

Wizard's Seventh Rule. Life is the future, not the past

Wizard's Eighth Rule. Deserve victory.

Wizard's Ninth Rule. Contradictions don't exist, in whole or in part.

Ahem, I suspect this is a little bit off topic, but I was intrigued by this question because I recently looked up some root words associated with this theme.

Joules MM1 said:
...arent Wizards of magic and sorcery? Is this in touch with an earth bound reality?.....

The word root of wizard is wize, the word root of witch is wit. The root of magic/mage/magi is the same - wisdom. All of these mean the same thing - someone who observes, studies, and learns, and then uses that knowledge.

Same with the root of the words wicker/wick/wicked which means to spin and/or weave - (to create order out of chaos).
The root of sorcery is same as source - (creative source, power source)

Because these people studied the medicinal quality of plants and minerals, and the placebo effects of spells (a spell is a spoken intent) upon the hearer, they were often sought out as healers and advisors and creator of useful things. If you wanted a blue tunic, you went to the witch for it. If your rheumatism was bothering you, the wizard would make up a concoction of anti-inflamatory herbs. I suspect some of the unbalanced one's were sought out to use their knowledge in ways which were not helpful.

The root word of pagan and heathen simply mean "one who dwells in the country, - not a member of any town or village." And of course much of Europe was wooded and unfenced and lots of people lived in little nomadic tribes and made their living as they always had by hunting/gathering. They would have been very alarmed by and hostile to the prospect of settlement and enclosure.

All this was unacceptable to the power structure of the church during the middle ages, which said that the only knowledge you needed was what you could learn from the priestly hierarchy. Thus ensued one of the largest disinformation PR campaigns of all times. These people who refused to come and join the community were demonized and said to be consorting with evil spirits.

But it seems to me, they were just living an 'earthbound reality,' and wanted no part of this newfangled fantasy "afterlife" if it meant you had to spend your time on earth as a drudge for someone else....

I wonder what those old time wizards would think about sulong's "wizard's rules?"

JO

It would seem that "Passion" is vey unpredictable and a potential very destruct able force.

We see this from time to time in the arguments we witness between members with opposing market / life views.

Wizard's Third Rule. Passion rules reason.

Wizard's Sixth Rule. The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason

Wizard's Ninth Rule. Contradictions don't exist, in whole or in part.

Joules MM1 said:
Is there stupidity in a parent fearing for their childrens welfare? No.

I would think that fearing the unknown isn't all that smart.
But that's just me

Joules MM1 said:
Put down the rhetoric and the praise-be-to-the-wizard books and tell us what YOU think.

I think that these "ancient" ideals are being proved to be just as pertinent today as they'ev ever been. By your own replys no less.

Joules MM1 said:
The odds of being hit increase from the get-go upon repetition of the procedure.

Sorry to be an irksome pedant again.

Assuming a fair coin would you say that the odds of flipping heads next increases with every tail? (As a crude parallel, heads = being struck, tails = safely crossing the road).
No, because the 50% chance of flipping either is not conditional on the past, even if you had seen an astounding run of tails.

Surely the accident in the road scenario follows the same rules?

Hmm ... :confused:

frugi said:
Sorry to be an irksome pedant again.

Assuming a fair coin would you say that the odds of flipping heads next increases with every tail? (As a crude parallel, heads = being struck, tails = safely crossing the road).
No, because the 50% chance of flipping either is not conditional on the past, even if you had seen an astounding run of tails.

Surely the accident in the road scenario follows the same rules?

Hmm ... :confused:
The odds of being hit crossing the road are not 50/50. Unless you're stupid.

And the odds of flipping a head is not dependent on any previous run of tails where each result is viewed as a 'one off 'event.

However...viewed as a continuum of events...the chances on NOT flipping a head after N flips of a tails does decrease when viewed as a series of possibilities.

Much as running back and forth across the northbound carriageway of the M1 as discrete events carries the same possibility of success for each traverse - but over time....

And more importantly ... it does get us away from another tiresome dialogue.....

sulong said:
Wizard's First Rule

"People are stupid. They will believe anything they want to be true or fear to be true."

Can anybody be immune to this?
I don't think so, unless of course if we can eliminate all our "wants" and "fears."

Julius Caesar was spot on when he said "Men willing believe what they wish to believe"

No-one can be immune to this statement., because no-one is omniscient. We can be honest when we say we "don't know" when we don't know any facts, but seeing that everything in life is a matter of perception and when faced with decisions we have to make, we make them with what information is available to us. We hope that any decision we make is closer to the truth than the other choice we could have taken. Everything in life is a distortion of the truth. There is only one truth . You can't have 2 truths when attempting to answer a question.

"There are those who don't know and those who know that they don't know" - can't remember who said that!

Dispassionate said:
There is only one truth . You can't have 2 truths when attempting to answer a question.
In an Aristotelian Universe - true ( :LOL: ), but in A Quantum Universe you can either view reality as an infinite possible set of 'Truths' or no particular Truth, just a fuzzy probability or more/less likely to be true - and more/less useful to you - depending on what it is you want to establish.

Bung in relativity too -- each observer sees a different picture.

But then someone's re-doing the Michelson-Morley experiment in a "once & for all way" to prove or disprove the ether, which will decide whether light speed is absolute or relative, which will validate or nullify that statement.

Doesn't affect quantum physics though - at that level "truth" is still a probability cloud.

How does this affect trading btw?

Bramble said:
The odds of being hit crossing the road are not 50/50. Unless you're stupid.

And the odds of flipping a head is not dependent on any previous run of tails where each result is viewed as a 'one off 'event.

However...viewed as a continuum of events...the chances on NOT flipping a head after N flips of a tails does decrease when viewed as a series of possibilities.

I was wrong to apply a coin flip analogy to the road crossing as we are not dealing with a mathematical model with fixed variables. Just because sulong's hero was hit on the last crossing after 14599 successful ones does not imply a probability of 1/14600 of being hit in the future unless we create a bizarre arbitrary model. I tried doing that and then ran into further problems, such as "Does the model ensure an accident occurs every 14600 crossings, in which case with each crossing the probability of being hit will increase, until it eventually becomes 1if our hero has miraculously survived 14599 crossings, or does it behave like a 14600-sided die in which case the probability will stay the same regardless of the past."

Actually you might disagree with that last statement so let's return to coin flips for simplicity. You say there is a difference between viewing a series of flips as a continuum and viewing the flips as one-off discrete events.

I'm pretty sure I disasgree with that, though I'm finding it hard to explain exactly why because my intuiton almost agrees with you! We have to be very careful with definitions in order to get anywhere useful ...

Let our experiment always consist of ten coin flips and try and see what happens when we view these flips both with hindsight and 'blindly' during the sequence.

If we predetermine exactly what sequence we require then we can determine the exact probability of that happening. For instance, the chance of flipping nine tails then a head is exactly the same a flipping ten tails, or three heads then seven tails, or indeed any fixed predetermined sequence. In each case it is 1/1024.

Assume a run of nine tails. Pretty unlikely. A chance of 1/512 in fact. Now, given this run, is the next flip equally likely to be a head or a tail? Yes, it is. Nine tails then a head has a chance of 1/1024 as does nine tails then a tail.

I don't think we have the luxury of viewing the sequence as a continuum, if that makes any sense. Aaargh I'm going round in circles. :)

This is the same as saying "However ... viewed as a continuum of events ... the chances of flipping a head after N flips of tails does increase when viewed as a series of possibilities."

Granted, the probability of N flips of tails in an unbroken future sequence decreases as N increases, but the crucial point here is that N flips of tails has already happened! It is in the past - you said so by inserting "after". So the chances of then flipping a head given the past sequence of tails does not increase, it stays the same, as does the chance of flipping another tail. "When viewed as a series of possibilites", given a past sequence X, the chance of flipping a head or a tail stays the same.

This post has given me terrible déja vu and I'm still not entirely happy with it :) Strange old thing probability! Anyway, I'll leave it there before I give everyone a headache. I suspect we are arguing semantics more than anything more fundamental.

An aside to this is the matter of coincidence. How often do people say "How amazing! I bumped into someone in the supermarket today with exactly the same name as me, and her daughter goes to my old school and do you know she's even wearing exactly the same dress that I bought last month from a boutique in Nimes! What are the chances of that!"

Well, the chances of someone meeting these predetermined conditions would be minuscule, granted, but of course she didn't predetermine them. It is likely that there would be an immense pool of things the two people might have in common and the three mentioned represent only a fraction. In fact it would be unusual for coincidences like this NOT to happen as there are so many ways in which they can. Put another way, some unlikely event is likely to occur, whereas it's much less likely that a particular one will. If you don't specify a predicted event precisely, there are an indeterminate number of ways for an
event of that general kind to take place. The paradoxical conclusion is that is would be very unlikely for unlikely events not to occur. (with thanks to Paulos for that).

Dispassionate said:
"There are those who don't know and those who know that they don't know" - can't remember who said that!

You misquote me, I stated :

"there are those who don't know and those who don't know that they don't know".