Will you be cold and hungry if you don’t make money trading?

Will you be cold and hungry if you don’t make money trading?

• Total voters
That means I have to make £24,000 per year trading just to breakeven.

And to pay myself a measly £21,000 per year salary I would have to make £66,000 trading.

Reminds of the joke..

Two agents at the theatre. One says to the other

"See that fat bloke standing right stage. He's taking 80% of my fee..."

Considered working for real charity? Trade at home and give 50% of your profits to charity instead....

....or have six months off a year and keep the lot.

No, absolutely no. Surgery isn't the same thing at all, and you are looking at it from the wrong angle. Have you ever taken your car to a dodgy mechanic? Ever heard of a builder or plumber who does a bodge job? These are people who work full time in their profession. I wouldn't trust my house or car to these people. I know many others who would rather do their own decorating, renovating and car repairs and do a much more professional job.

How many people have wanted their money back after buying a ‘professional’ trading system?

So? I'd rather have a dodgy mechanic fix my car than, say, my neighbour, and not just because she's a girl.

I'm not disputing that a part time trader can be better than a full time trader, nor claiming that a part time mechanic has to be worse than a full time mechanic. But you have to look at the average case.

But you have to look at the average case.

Maybe you do, but I don't. The average trader loses money don't they? If you stand in a tub of boiling water with your head in the freezer you should feel pretty good on average :LOL:

How would you determine if someone posting here is a full time or part time trader if they didn't tell you?

To be perfectly honest I have better things to do, like looking at redtube.

I'm glad you have better things to do than to tell me you have better things to do :rolleyes::rolleyes:

How about posting another link to Spanish89's journal? Or do you have better things to do?

People...sheesh!

A no vote - for now

I voted no simply because I have a job that pays very well. Although I used to call trading a hobby, it is now rather more than that - I am beginning to show a bit of a profit (although this week has been really rather ugly).

I would like to be in a position to pack the job in at some point in the future and trade full time for a few years before retirement. I'll see how it goes.

How would you determine if someone posting here is a full time or part time trader if they didn't tell you?

Didn't read all the posts so I may have got this out of context but does it matter? Part time traders can be better traders than full time ones. I certainly think I was a better trader before I became a "professional" where I picked up a lot of bad habits. All that matters in this game is whether you make money. You see? Not who you trade for or what size stops you use. Just how much money you make from trading.

Just how much money you make from trading.

...and thats the bottom line!

Its amazingly ironic that, for one who follows Socrates so blindly, and he (even more ironically) kept on about the abandonment of ego, yet you are the 2nd worst for just that problem on this site. (new_trader not you Tom!)

...and thats the bottom line!

Its amazingly ironic that, for one who follows Socrates so blindly, and he (even more ironically) kept on about the abandonment of ego, yet you are the 2nd worst for just that problem on this site. (new_trader not you Tom!)

Oh great...now we can do the EGO v SUPREMELY CONFIDENT debate all over again :LOL:

I think whoever derives his entire income from trading should answer the poll "yes"
It is irrelevant whether they are "good", "bad" or "brilliant" traders. Dodgy car mechanic still a full time car mechanic as long as he can support himself financially doing his job. On the other hand; it seems to me real aim of the poll was the question their (full timers)competence as a trader. I would say in general they are competent. They must be. Or they won't be "full time" trader for long.

What do you hope to determine from the answers to your question??

You make the implication that deriving your income from trading => you don't have any money to support yourself if you have a rough patch - ergo anyone who can support themself through difficult conditions isn't really a trader... "then for some idiotic reason only then are their opinions afforded a higher degree of credibility over those" who grasp the concepts of capital management and contingency planning...

I voted No.

Mr Gecko brings up a good point though. Whats the point of this? And how does one classify trading/investing? I could have easily voted yes as well.

I see many people boasting about the fact that they are a full time trader. I also notice that many of those also mention ‘the wife’ or ‘the girlfriend’ they are living with has a job. I suppose it would be much easier making the transition to full time trading if people had a cushion to land on if for one reason or another, they didn’t make a success of full time trading.

It will be interesting to see who votes.

I'm very happy to boast that I have the support of a good woman!

But, If my BUSINESS fails can her measly income cover us?
Hell No!

What do you hope to determine from the answers to your question??

You make the implication that deriving your income from trading => you don't have any money to support yourself if you have a rough patch - ergo anyone who can support themself through difficult conditions isn't really a trader... "then for some idiotic reason only then are their opinions afforded a higher degree of credibility over those" who grasp the concepts of capital management and contingency planning...

Bump

Unfortunately I don't have the support of a female partner, but I do have my parents!

I'm living with them for now until I make enough to leave, they are very understanding and supportive for now :)

I voted No.

R.O.B

I answered 'no'. I can say boldly I am a part time trader. I can't keep trading is as my life. There are lot of things to do in life. I know earning is must to lead life.

I voted No as I have a full time job.

However, I agree with others..........the whole question is pretty silly really as I would say everyone on these boards would be capable of going out and getting a job if they needed to. For those that are not capable there is welfare and even charity so there really shouldn't be any need to be "cold and hungry".

Cheers,
PKFFW
P.S: It took me a while to vote because I was out enjoying my weekend. I don't have anything to hide and I'm sure those others that have chosen not to vote haven't anything to hide either.