Who LOVES trading?

No, I hate trading. I hate making money, I hate money in itself.

Oh wait, didn't I mention I'm a pessimist? Ah!

But is it the gambling or is it the risk/emotions you enjoy?

ie. Would you go play blackjack for chips that represented no value and still enjoy it as much?

its the belief that i can find a way to beat that which is difficult and results in profit.

I do not attach emotions to each trade/hand dealt only the net result over time.

It is only natural that you would want to profit from the things that you are good at (if you are good enough.

So is the message meant to be that if you love trading then you are likely too emotional and will therefore not succeed. I don't see any conflict. You can love the interlectual challenge and the money but still be dispassionate and treat it like a business.

That was not the point of it. Seeing as this isn't going anywhere really.

A few months back I was in a trading chat room and speaking amongst some people. When I said I only did trading for the money and if there was no money in it - I wouldn't bother. I got people hurling abuse at me telling me I wouldn't succeed and that you have to really love it to do well. So I thought. "If they loved it, would they do it without the money?" and "if they love it, why do they need to trade such big size?" - which lead me to conclude they don't love trading, they just love the product you can attain with trading. The trading is just the means to an end. If Mcdonalds paid more than trading there's a good chance they would be down at Mcdonalds asking if you want fries with your meal.

Is trading still an intellectual challenge after you have your system and its just repeat repeat repeat?
I've not been at it that way long enough to know for myself, but it sure seems that once its as straightforward as it will ever be to you, ie the set ups are clear when they arise, the only thing to do is keep your patience and discipline. Of course learning never stops to improve your trading , but on your basic bread and butter first method does the challenge always remain? Many say it becomes unemotional or boring.

That was not the point of it. Seeing as this isn't going anywhere really.

A few months back I was in a trading chat room and speaking amongst some people. When I said I only did trading for the money and if there was no money in it - I wouldn't bother. I got people hurling abuse at me telling me I wouldn't succeed and that you have to really love it to do well. So I thought. "If they loved it, would they do it without the money?" and "if they love it, why do they need to trade such big size?" - which lead me to conclude they don't love trading, they just love the product you can attain with trading. The trading is just the means to an end. If Mcdonalds paid more than trading there's a good chance they would be down at Mcdonalds asking if you want fries with your meal.

Masq, I'm a bit confused, you say you do it only for the money, but you expect the others who say they loved it would be off to MacD's if it paid well....? Wouldn't you be off to MacD's too if you only in it for the money?

Is trading still an intellectual challenge after you have your system and its just repeat repeat repeat?
I've not been at it that way long enough to know for myself, but it sure seems that once its as straightforward as it will ever be to you, ie the set ups are clear when they arise, the only thing to do is keep your patience and discipline. Of course learning never stops to improve your trading , but on your basic bread and butter first method does the challenge always remain? Many say it becomes unemotional or boring.

What really made me realise that I was becoming a half decent trader was exactly that. Not boring but I wasn't emotional about it or stressed every time I was looking at my charts. I could see my setups and I knew what to do whether the trade was working or whether it was not. I think the stress would have killed me if I hadn't reached that point....

I wouldn't say that I love trading but I am probably obsessed with it and enjoy it. However I wouldn't do it if there was no money in it. Making money is the only reason to trade. If you are in it for the excitment you won't be succesful for sure.

I love trading. I gave up my dental practice nearly 10 years ago to trade for a living.
I hate gambling, btw. I must be one of the very few people to have gone to Las Vegas and not been tempted to gamble a single dime.
Fun to lose money gambling? ! Insane.

I love trading. I gave up my dental practice nearly 10 years ago to trade for a living.
I hate gambling, btw. I must be one of the very few people to have gone to Las Vegas and not been tempted to gamble a single dime.

this is similar to how I feel, but havent been a dentist myself

this is similar to how I feel, but havent been a dentist myself
Don't, unless you think you'll enjoy being breathed over at 8am by someone stinking of stale garlic with bits of meat fibres stuck between their teeth, bleeding gums and telling you how well they clean their teeth......

Masq, I'm a bit confused, you say you do it only for the money, but you expect the others who say they loved it would be off to MacD's if it paid well....? Wouldn't you be off to MacD's too if you only in it for the money?

I'm only in it for the money - I don't love it. I'm of a lazy disposition, but nevertheless if there was more money working in Mcdonald's than there was in trading i'd be there first thing flipping burgers.

What is it about the act of trading that you love?

The thing about losing money at gambling is you can only experience the highs once you feel the lows (akin to life) and that's what it's really about. Winning all the time would just get boring. It feels better to lose 1 million, then win 1 million than it does the other way round.

I'm only in it for the money - I don't love it. I'm of a lazy disposition, but nevertheless if there was more money working in Mcdonald's than there was in trading i'd be there first thing flipping burgers.

Cheers, guv.

"Winning all the time would just get boring"

Got to disagree with that.
Anyway, to "work", markets opening in 6 minutes - yipee !

Don't, unless you think you'll enjoy being breathed over at 8am by someone stinking of stale garlic with bits of meat fibres stuck between their teeth, bleeding gums and telling you how well they clean their teeth......

I didn't know you used to be my dentist Richard.

There are two of us, I went to a four day convention in Vegas, not one dime ...