Whiplash candlesticks

tomorton

Guest Author
Whiplashes are usually tightly defined - a whiplash long signal would be given by a gap down at the open below the previous low, then a strong rally through the day to give a close higher than the open and above the 50% point of the day's range. The signal works well in reverse for shorts.

According to Raschke & Connors (in 'Street Smarts') etc. this can be a strong reversal signal as the day's contrary price action is often continued over the following several days. But it is possible to see weaker forms of the whiplash: seeking long signals only, these conveniently print on candlestick charts like Sharescope as having hollow red bodies, showing they had higher closes than opens but price was down on the previous close. Sometimes these form other candlestick patterns like inverted hammers.

It is striking to note how many good upward swing moves start from a weak whiplash. The first useful feature is that, unlike a day which opens on the high and closes on the low, price action through the signal day telegraphs the subsequent days' action. Either may be followed by a bullish reversal but the whiplash day sends a signal this is imminent.

The second nice thing about these patterns may be more important - it is that they sometimes mark a very significant reversal point, taking price into double digits of % gain. I don't mind a marginal entry signal if it brings me a regular crop of outperforming winners and alows a tight stop on the losers.

I will be tracking these patterns and occasionally put stuff here. Feel free to throw in your own.

Whiplashes are usually tightly defined - a whiplash long signal would be given by a gap down at the open below the previous low, then a strong rally through the day to give a close higher than the open and above the 50% point of the day's range. The signal works well in reverse for shorts.

According to Raschke & Connors (in 'Street Smarts') etc. this can be a strong reversal signal as the day's contrary price action is often continued over the following several days. But it is possible to see weaker forms of the whiplash: seeking long signals only, these conveniently print on candlestick charts like Sharescope as having hollow red bodies, showing they had higher closes than opens but price was down on the previous close. Sometimes these form other candlestick patterns like inverted hammers.

It is striking to note how many good upward swing moves start from a weak whiplash. The first useful feature is that, unlike a day which opens on the high and closes on the low, price action through the signal day telegraphs the subsequent days' action. Either may be followed by a bullish reversal but the whiplash day sends a signal this is imminent.

The second nice thing about these patterns may be more important - it is that they sometimes mark a very significant reversal point, taking price into double digits of % gain. I don't mind a marginal entry signal if it brings me a regular crop of outperforming winners and alows a tight stop on the losers.

I will be tracking these patterns and occasionally put stuff here. Feel free to throw in your own.

Very interesting post Tom.

Just so I can be clear, because I don't get hollow candle sticks on my platform, is a long,weak whiplash when you get the whiplash but the price on the previous close was down?

Just to add something, I've also found that buying/selling pullbacks after a good outside day is, at times, a very good trade.

Last edited:
Well, not exactly. A true whiplash, though it might sound counter-intuitive is irrespective of previous close. Its just better than current open, which is lower than previous close, and better than 50% of today's range.

What I introduce is this hierarchy of whiplashes - all MUST gap down from yesterday's close, and MUST be better than today's open, but after that -
MAY gap down from yesterday's close
MAY close better than yesterday's close
MAY close better than 50% of today's range.

For example, have a look at Associated British Foods ABF 14/04 - not a true whiplash as closed below 50% of day's range - buit immediately followed by 20% price rise in 20 days. Also Aviva AV. 15/04 - not true whiplash as no gap below previous low - but followed by 505 price rise in 16 days.

Also known as thrusting candles, if I am not mistaken. (50% point of the previous day's range, correct?)

Another very, very powerful signal (and very rare) are kickers. Stephen Bigelow defines kickers as either a long black candle at the bottom of a trend followed by a long white candle that opens ABOVE the open of the previous day, or a tall white candle after an extended advance followed by a long black candle that opens below the open of the previous day. Somewhat similar to a gap, the next day's open erases all of the previous day's loss/gain respectively, and continues in that direction. Very rare to see these though.

How is a bullish whiplash different from a bullish piercing line candlestick (japanese candlesticks)?
They sound similar