Which Stocks to buy for 5-10 yrs hold?

read warren buffet and benjamin graham,

I think the value investing approach is the best method to adopt for such a long holding period.

you need to have the mentality that if you buy a security which the market has undervalued on balance, 'good things might come of it' its just a waiting game.

noone knows what a particular instrument will do a day, week or a month from now, and the same is true over 5-10 years.

Dear Traders,

I will look at the following stocks (From US):
- AIG (Insurer)
- ABK (Insurer)
- EBAY (Online)
- LCC (Airlines)
- XLF (Financial ETF)
- QQQQ (Tech ETF) To be played for short to Medium term
etc

Remember that VIX is at all time high!!

Good Luck in your trading!!

Regards,
PalaceKid

Good call palacekid .. personally I think the VIX is well worth a look at

Here is a link to the WIKI entry

VIX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Damn I was going to start a thread like this!!

I've spent the last two or so hours going through the share price list in the FT. :p

Here's an idea of my shopping list on a thematic basis for long term money only.

Global Utilities and Infrastructure
Fund Managers (or Manglers!)
Companies valued below conservatively estimated liquidation value.
Index Tracking Funds.
REITs with low debt.
ITs with discounts of >25%.

I personally would steer clear from the majority of banks as they will be issuing preferred capital to govts, significantly reducing divi's and making significant loan writedowns.

I do wish that people stop telling us that Warren Buffet did this and that. They are usually perverting rational investment management into support of a mindless long-term-buy-and-hold strategy (or non-strategy) which is not what he has been doing.

Can there be any rational reason to hold a stock, once the major reasons for buying it have disappeared? After all, if you wouldn't buy more at the current price, why would you expect the market to buy?

I do wish that people stop telling us that Warren Buffet did this and that. They are usually perverting rational investment management into support of a mindless long-term-buy-and-hold strategy (or non-strategy) which is not what he has been doing.

Can there be any rational reason to hold a stock, once the major reasons for buying it have disappeared? After all, if you wouldn't buy more at the current price, why would you expect the market to buy?

To understand that you need to remove your Trading hat and put on an Investing cap.
His strategy IS buy and hold essentially. That actually is just a small point. The biggest
factor is the reason/analysis of his stock picking. Currently going through some books
(Graham/ Buffet) and checking things out. Very interesting indeed (y)

Ah! one more thing.. in investing there is no "price" - there is only "value"
{where's that smug symbol :))}

To understand that you need to remove your Trading hat and put on an Investing cap.
His strategy IS buy and hold essentially. That actually is just a small point. The biggest
factor is the reason/analysis of his stock picking. Currently going through some books
(Graham/ Buffet) and checking things out. Very interesting indeed (y)

Ah! one more thing.. in investing there is no "price" - there is only "value"
{where's that smug symbol :))}

You are right but it isn't just a case of buy and hold. You need to look at an individual company's books.

Well I think I will take HBOS of my list.... oh no wait it wasnt on there!! What a jolly old mess...

Couldn't resist this gem

Excellent Market Tips

Normally I avoid discussing any advice regarding buying or selling of stocks, but I felt this is important enough to share and warn you since this explosive situation might prove to be yet another ENRON. Please review any holdings you might have in the following stocks: American Can, Interstate Water, National Gas Company, Northern Tissue Company.

Due to uncertain market conditions, I advise you to sit tight on your American Can, hold your Water, and let go of your Gas. You may be interested to know that Northern Tissue touched a new bottom today, and millions were wiped clean.

It's a tough market out there. Be careful!

Hi,

I know this is a Trading website , however looking at the current "once in a lifetime"
market scenario, wanted to compile a list of good value US/UK exchange based Stocks to buy with the view of long term hold.

So... if you had a kitty of 50,000 GBP which stocks would you buy and what size?

If you could also give a good reason that will help :)

Thank You

chilltrader,
i know you wanted a list of US/UK listed shares but maybe you have just picked what might be two of the worst performing markets over the next five years. Gold shares/ Mining shares still look like they have more upside than these two markets. If you are willing to invest in Australia you might want to look at Felix Resources (FLX). The are a coal mining company selling mainly to Japan/Korea.

In the UK i would look at Tesco (takes £1in every £8 spent), United Utilities (defensive, always need water) ,Bae Systems (government spending around the world) , BG (defensive,always need gas/oil and has had some big finds of late),ICAP (makes plenty of money when volatility is high),National Grid (defensive always need Electricity) ,Reckitt Benkiser (sells all sorts for £1 to £6 a bottle probably makes then for 50p) ,Scottish and Southern Energy,Severn Trent (both defensive will always need electric and water).

Last edited:
Most excellent Breadman!

(y)

chilltrader,
i know you wanted a list of US/UK listed shares but maybe you have just picked what might be two of the worst performing markets over the next five years. Gold shares/ Mining shares still look like they have more upside than these two markets. If you are willing to invest in Australia you might want to look at Felix Resources (FLX). The are a coal mining company selling mainly to Japan/Korea.

In the UK i would look at Tesco (takes £1in every £8 spent), United Utilities (defensive, always need water) ,Bae Systems (government spending around the world) , BG (defensive,always need gas/oil and has had some big finds of late),ICAP (makes plenty of money when volatility is high),National Grid (defensive always need Electricity) ,Reckitt Benkiser (sells all sorts for £1 to £6 a bottle probably makes then for 50p) ,Scottish and Southern Energy,Severn Trent (both defensive will always need electric and water).