Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

kriesau said:
.......................................................................................................................................................................

March expired last night !

I think you'll find most futures and options expire today by right of this being the last trading day

destiny said:
alot of users have mentioned something about expiry of options? how does that affect the market, on which dates do they occur? thanks in advance :)

Most stock and index options expire on the third Friday of every month, Index and commodity future on the third Friday of every third month. From a trading perspective often makes the market very choppy and prone to sudden swings. I rarely trade on expiration day

kriesau- spreadbetting companies are merely saying that you can no longer trade them after 9.15 pm last night. you do have 15 hours or so when you are exposed if you have an options position.The actually unwinding and rolling happens today. The results will be subject to a 'special opening price' i.e on the indices which will decide where the contract settles. So for instance what is happening at 3.00 pm today will have no effect because it is calculated when every stock opens today. yet if a bomb had gone off late last night it would have affected your option without you being able to do anything!

roguetrader said:
I think you'll find most futures and options expire today by right of this being the last trading day
.......................................................................................................................................................................
MARCH CONTRACTS:
Dow expired at 9.15pm last night
Nasdaq 100 expired last Friday
FTSE SB & Options expired at 10.30am this morning
Dax expired at midday today.

Dow has tested 10650 twice today and fallen.
Now its testing 10600 and the first attempt bounced.
WWhere will it end up today ????
I'm short !

lemput said:
kriesau- spreadbetting companies are merely saying that you can no longer trade them after 9.15 pm last night. you do have 15 hours or so when you are exposed if you have an options position.The actually unwinding and rolling happens today. The results will be subject to a 'special opening price' i.e on the indices which will decide where the contract settles. So for instance what is happening at 3.00 pm today will have no effect because it is calculated when every stock opens today. yet if a bomb had gone off late last night it would have affected your option without you being able to do anything!
............................................................................................................................................................................
You're correct on SB IF you let existing contracts expire rather than roll them over into June or close them prior to the deadline. Clearly this does not apply to Future Options - the FTSE expired at 10.30am this morning and if a bomb had gone off last night then they would have been underwater this morning. Happily that didn't happen this month and it closed around 45 pts above my Puts.

Four types of March futures and options contracts expire or settle on Friday. The so-called witching hours for stock options, index options, index futures and single-stock futures occur four times a year on the third Friday of March, June, September and December.

That could increase swings in the market as investors adjust or exercise their derivative positions at the last minute.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/breaking/breakingnewsarticle.asp?feed=OBR&Date=20050318&ID=4314674

BTW I am not referring to how spreadbetting firms do whatever it is they do since I know nothing about them

Last edited:
My undertstanding on expiry on the dow and s&p index options, on a quarterly option it is based on opening prices of the 3rd friday, for every other month it is based on prices at the close of business on the 3rd friday.
Mj

Hi all, can anyone see a pattern in the close price of the Dow since Tuesday 8th March 05
8th= 10912 - 10805 - 10851 - 10774 - 10804 - 10745 - 10633 - 10626 - with a possible close tonight below 10600 as a Friday 18th number ?
regards to all
Twiglet

Enroute to 10200 anyone?

Attachments

• Daily DOW - 18 Mar 05.JPG
    Daily DOW - 18 Mar 05.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Daily DOW PF - 18 Mar 05.gif
    Daily DOW PF - 18 Mar 05.gif
    47.5 KB · Views: 182
Hi Chow,
interesting p/f chart , I have 10540 then 10430 then 10375 as the next possible consolidation stops on the way down after the Dow breaks from it's current consolidation at 10633 ( IF it breaks down )
I am still short the April contract from an 10805 s/b entry
I posted the pattern Q to see if others can see the pattern and so help any newbys who want to trade the Dow I also use it for the Dow contest entry each week, as I find that a bit of fun
this is not trading advice for anybody just my view
Thanks again for the P/F chart
regards

Hi Chow, lets see if we can get some more interest on this first , as it may help some of the newbys to look at the daily close of the Dow in a new way.
drop me an e mail with your e mail address and I will reply to you off this site
this is very simple, but it may stop some who are still long from clutching at straws
regards

A bounce on the Dow can be expected this week, I'm not sure if it'll happen though.

Last week showed weakness on the Dow but Friday was a good day in terms of 10600 support level. I went long Friday after the close at 10603. I don't think we will get any intraday moves lower then 10600 today. We shall see.

It can obviously get more of a decline and then 10500 should not really stand as next stop would be 10400.

Personally I don't think we'll make a move to 10400 this time around as the lows of the year should not be touched yet. A move towards 10800 region seems more likely.

Good Luck.

user said:
A bounce on the Dow can be expected this week, I'm not sure if it'll happen though.

Last week showed weakness on the Dow but Friday was a good day in terms of 10600 support level. I went long Friday after the close at 10603. I don't think we will get any intraday moves lower then 10600 today. We shall see.

It can obviously get more of a decline and then 10500 should not really stand as next stop would be 10400.

Personally I don't think we'll make a move to 10400 this time around as the lows of the year should not be touched yet. A move towards 10800 region seems more likely.

Good Luck.
..........................................................................................................................................................................
User, which Dow market are you trading - daily or June ?

Currently on a daily as its hard to say which way the market will travel, normally I trade contracts most of the time.

Where is it going today ?
Daily Dow futures currently just under cash close as are S & P. No material economic data due out today but oil up to $56.84 and pump gas price has just reached a record high of $2.13. Could trade uppishly sideways for a while but I'm still bearish on the days close.