Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

counter_violent said:
Historically October is crash month, with the 18th being the low point on average ...followed by a rally up to year end.....This year may be no different .....then again it may deviate from the well worn path .....but on average, this is what you will get.......who says trading is difficult !!

There you go Socco, the low coming on the 13th, incidentally Three sessions away from the 18th, but seeing as we are talking about averages I'd say this is near enough for anybody .....

Hope you learned something !

TTFN

CV

Last edited:
It's about now that it usually makes a dash the other way, just when I have nodded off or gone off to do something else !!
I shall fool it by staying awake today.

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 14, 2005--American International Group, Inc. (AIG) announced today that it has filed its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the period ended September 30, 2005 with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Information from prior periods included in the Form 10-Q has been restated.

Third quarter 2005 net income was $1.72 billion or $0.65 per diluted share, compared to $2.69 billion or $1.02 per diluted share in the third quarter of 2004. These results include after tax net catastrophe related losses of $1.57 billion or $0.60 per diluted share in third quarter 2005 compared to $512 million or $0.19 per diluted share last year.

Net income for the first nine months of 2005 was $10.02 billion or $3.82 per diluted share, compared to $8.29 billion or $3.14 per diluted share in the first nine months of 2004. These results include after tax net catastrophe related losses per diluted share in 2005 and 2004 of $0.60 and $0.19, respectively.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - American International Group (NYSE:AIG - News) on Monday said its third quarter earnings fell from the year earlier period because of losses from hurricanes and other catastrophes.

Profit for the world's largest insurer by market value was $1.7 billion or 65 cents a share, compared with earnings of $2.69 billion, or $1.02 per share a year ago, which were restated because of accounting errors. The latest quarter earnings were hurt by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, which struck the Gulf Coast during August and September.

AIG intially went up after hours but now turning south, it is a big weight on dow

Pat494 said:
It's about now that it usually makes a dash the other way, just when I have nodded off or gone off to do something else !!
I shall fool it by staying awake today.

Well not much movement yesterday ( could have nodded off after-all ). Could be building up to a big move soon. My indicators say south but with oil dropping I'm not so sure.
Any ideas ??

Going in cycles or round the bend ?

Have you ever had the feeling that one's indicators are not quite up to pace ? Perhaps think of it this way :-
Imagine if you will an athletics track, then pin it to the wall like a dartboard. The 2 longest sides are up and down.
Now say our man is galloping on behind the other competitor which just happens to be the Dow index. The Dow has rounded the bottom bend and is 1/4 way up. Our man ( indicator ) is 1/4 lap behind and is still on the way down the backstraight. Therefore our man ( indicator ) is showing down when it should be showing up. Our man then rounds the bottom bend and is showing up. Just great unless the Dow starts going into the top bend ( oscillates ) and is about to come down in the next cycle ( wrong again ). This particular track is elastic so that the straights ( trends ) are sometimes shorter than usual or longer.
Hopefully all is clear so far.
The object of the excercise is obviously to predict the direction of the Dow. As it is virtually impossible to be so very close behind the Dow, then why not be half a lap behind, rather than straining to be a 1/4 lap behind and DO the opposite.
Just a thought which might be useful to mechanical system trader's ?

A counter trend system?

May work today imo
Play list for today "Rock you like a huricane "

Although I guess "dont try to stop me dont try to stop me " might be more apt

Last edited:
dc2000 said:
A counter trend system?

May work today imo
Play list for today "Rock you like a huricane "

Although I guess "dont try to stop me dont try to stop me " might be more apt
"Rock you like a hurricane" !! Who recorded that ??

Are you sure you don't mean "Like a Hurricane" by Neil Young

Hmm that may signify upside and we dont want non of that now do we

I think me keyboards on it way out keeps missing letters

dc2000 said:
Scorpions

"Like a hurricane" is a bit gentle for today

I regret you have way ahead of me with modern music. Abba was about the last group that I took any note of.
60s music was the heyday and been going downhill ever since imho
What was that Jonny Cash song about not trusting the man who spread the burning sand with water ?
Sounds apt to some of the gurus around

You have me at a disadvantage there the only Jonny Cash I can vaguely remember is Ring of fire, The devil went back to georgia and Ghost riders but I think he did that with someone else

I would agree on the 60s a bit before my time but would have loved to have been there.

To change the subject a little bit - there should be a great day's cricket tomorrow
England have 174 runs to get and 9 wickets to go.

I am still expecting a rollover of the Dow - maybe today !!