Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

senyorqueso said:
Racer - don't know if I'm understanding your numbers properly - is that 166 trades?

Kriesau - I was originally trying larger stops of ~50pts, but decided against this as it seems hard to justify from a risk/reward point of view for an intra day trade. Does this work ok for you? You must need pretty big wins to overcome the losses, which must be hard to achieve in one session. Are you managing to get consistent profits this way with spreadbets?

The Dow is very volatile and can rise or fall by 20/30 points in minutes within a contrary direction to its daily trend. I have occasionally used 20 pts + the spread on a day trade but I generally find that this is too tight unless you have a very specific short term target of say 20 to 30 pts and you close out as soon as this has been reached. With a 50 pt stop you have more leeway on the trade and you can always close it earlier if the market is clearly moving against you.

It's all down to the strategy or strategies that you employ. On swing trades I'll use a 100 pts and on day trades anything from 40 to 60 pts with a trailing stop up and down.

"Do you make consistent profits" On Day Trades - does anyone ? My experience is that I have good and bad runs. The key is to make the most of your good runs and be prepared to close out trades quickly when you are having a poor run. You are more likely to make consistent profits on swing trades than day trades.

In the end it's all down to your own style, strategies and objectives. It's a numbers game and you should be making considerably more money on you winning trades than you lose on your losing trades. On this basis you should very be profitable with a 40% success rate and extremely profitable on a 50% success rate or above.

I'm sure that there are others here who would both agree and disagree with me. That's what spread trading is all about - there is no magic formula - you have to evolve strategies that work for you.

10,365 is my bail out point.. though it might squeak its way to 10410 with a big nudge..

depends how big a gap we get on open..

have a feeling the current gap might be closed pre-market, may even poke back to 10,260 before a move up..

fc

Racer said:
Oh surprise surprise.. out of hours Dow soaring... yet again after a big drop.

Rumours about China and currency doing the rounds.

And now they're back down to last nights cash closing price again !

LION63 said:
Big spike in S&P and DOW futures; European markets recoup losses and head higher. It seems that the bears are scurrying to close positions.

Dax initially dropped 19 now it's up 6. FTSE is down 8. Dow futures went back up to 10300 earlier this morning and are now back down to 10274.
It's very volatile and the markets don't seem to know where they are going at the moment.

Originally Posted by senyorqueso
Racer - don't know if I'm understanding your numbers properly - is that 166 trades?

166 contracts.. total 38 trades

I like the number of trades (for a full day?).Maybe you've got something.If it works for real,congratulations.

mu 1 3Chelsea

Monsieur Cantona possible new head coach?

ps you are going to be pleasently suprised by chelsea's new shopping cart . respect

jonnyy40 said:
I like the number of trades (for a full day?).Maybe you've got something.If it works for real,congratulations.

no, total trading time was about 2 to 3 hours

(ttime from first trade to last tradel was 4 hours but I stopped for quite a large chunk at least a couple of times)

Last edited:
Crude Oil prices down by 1.1% this morning after the IEA forecasted that Chinese and US demand would be lower than previously expected in the second half of this year.
With oil down, March trade balance due on before the market opens, Crude oil inventories at 10.30 and the April Treasury budget at 2.00pm it could be an eventful day !

ah yes.. the oil at 3.30.. had forgotten about that..

i think that might be attributed to be the cause of today's afternoon bounce.

still, the charts themselves look bearish on a more intermediate term. just wonder if we do still stand a chance of 10750 this month..

might need to dig out the calculator again..

FC

Interesting article from the bullish camp.

Can the market be wrong?

By Mark Hulbert, MarketWatch
Last Update: 12:01 AM ET May 11, 2005

ANNANDALE, Va. (MarketWatch) -- Normally I have little patience for those who rationalize incorrect forecasts by arguing that it was the market that was wrong.

After all, an adviser's job is to forecast where the market is going. It's too easy simply to excuse an incorrect prediction by arguing that the market was irrational.

I am nonetheless inclined to make an exception for some predictions I wrote about at the beginning of April. Though they turned out to be wrong, at least for the stock market's direction during the month of April, the government's jobs report last Friday in some ways vindicates those predictions. (Read related column from early April.)

The forecasts came from Madeline Schnapp, a senior research analyst at TrimTabs Investment Research and editor of two of that firm's newsletters, TrimTabs Personal Income and TrimTabs U.S. Employment Update. On the basis of data TrimTabs had collected from any of a number of sources, she argued at the time that the economy was producing far more jobs than the government had reported during the first three months of the year.

This was one of the main reasons why she was bullish on the stock market.

As fate would have it, of course, the stock market fell during April. The Dow Jones Wilshire 5000 index (DWC: news, chart, profile) shed 2.3% for the month.

But in some ways Schnapp is now enjoying the last laugh.

The government reported last Friday that the economy created 274,000 jobs during April, which is a lot higher than most economists were expecting.

Furthermore, when reporting this better-than-expected number for April, the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) also revised upwards what it had originally reported for the months of February and March, adding an additional 93,000 to the estimate of how many jobs were created in those months.

To which factors does Schnapp attribute the superiority of her forecasts over BLS's? One of the most important is the way in which the government seasonally adjusts the raw data. She points out that "the BLS applies massive seasonal adjustments to its employment data from January through March, which makes it difficult to calculate employment growth accurately."

April is the first month of the calendar year in which BLS applies very little seasonal adjustment, which is why -- in Schnapp's opinion -- the agency finally reported decent job growth.

Another major reason why the government under-reported job growth earlier this year, in Schnapp's opinion: The BLS's estimate is based on surveys of only the largest companies. "Corporations employing less than 1,000 people ... are rarely counted," she points out.

This wouldn't have to cause the BLS's estimates to be biased, if job growth were equally fast at both small and large companies. But that assumption is wrong currently, according to Schnapp's research. "Based on our analysis of income tax withholdings, online job demand, and growth in commercial and industrial loans, we believe most job growth is occurring at small and medium-sized corporations rather than large corporations."

What does this all mean for the investor? For starters, Schnapp recommends that we "ignore the BLS."

In addition, in part because of the encouraging jobs data, Schnapp's firm is very bullish on the stock market right now. In fact, it is recommending that clients be 200% long, which would require that they buy $2 of stocks for each $1 of portfolio net worth.

With as aggressive a bet as that, the firm cannot afford for the market to be wrong again...

Predictions are for mugs.I only mentioned back to 11thousand to get joules talking and admit he's Bonsai

roguetrader said:
Interesting article from the bullish camp.

Can the market be wrong?

What does this all mean for the investor? For starters, Schnapp recommends that we "ignore the BLS."

In addition, in part because of the encouraging jobs data, Schnapp's firm is very bullish on the stock market right now. In fact, it is recommending that clients be 200% long, which would require that they buy $2 of stocks for each $1 of portfolio net worth.

With as aggressive a bet as that, the firm cannot afford for the market to be wrong again...

Well this is a good example to illustrate how 'experts' can come up with entirely contrary market views. This view is of course based on a Fundamental - i.e. job creation - which is a pretty relevant statistic but it is interesting to see how this factor is now being used to explain why she got it wrong last month !

There are other Fundanmentalists who currently focus on the higher price of oil, increasing inflation and interest rates plus the unsustainable trade and budget deficits to form a bearish view of the market. If they get it wrong then they will probably refer to the retro revised job stats as being the reason.

On the technicals Charlie says today
"EWA says that downward pressures are consolidating....We have formed the left shoulders and heads on Necklines for the Dow and the COMPX respectively. We have also formed the initial half of the right shoulder for each index. The rollovers are ominous. We are in the completion stage of one of the more reliable predictors of a major turn......we need to complete the right shoulders and break downward through the Necklines. There is no way to judge how rapidly this completion might proceed until the market sets a slope that we might then extrapolate. A pullback to the Necklines would have a strong, additional negative pschological influence. Should we break through and valdate the H & S top formations and particularly if some amazing, astute TV Guru should discover what is happening, and let the cat out of the bag, then the downside move could be disasterous..............................Another possibility is that we would bounce and head back upward toward the ceiling of our E and F channels"

Quite bearish but a bit of hedging in that last comment !

As always, ask four 'experts' and get four different opinions, all usually with some qualification thrown in to hedge their views. They all have a great line in 20/20 hindsight too :LOL:

Considering the fact that the Chinese may loosen the peg and trade data is due out in 45 minutes or so, we are in for a very volatile trading session this afternoon. There is a possibility that the numbers will be the highest ever.

Some people seem to think that a rise in the Chinese currency will solve the US problems but everything has its drawbacks and in this case it simply means - Larger Deficits and Imported Inflation.

mm strategy?

nope.. stick it all on black..

reckon today is a buy day on the pattern. we didnt quite hit the half week range at 10,240 yesterday, so there is a fair chance that we could hit it today, and then bounce..

as always, depends on what the big chaps have done.. i suspect they may have been buying into the fall yesterday..