where can I "sell Russia"?

Options with what underlying might be a goer? March expiry would be too soon. The election (which may not happen) is scheduled for 4 March; I don't think collapse will take as long as a month after that, but it's possible. An indicator that things are going as expected is if candidates start pulling out.

I am thinking of buying RUSS. Very newbie question - but how do I find out what UK-accessible broker offers this? Couldn't find any mention of it at the IB UK website. Would like a bit more leverage though. 10% fall in the index, 30% return...should be able to capitalise a bit more?? :)

If I understand right, RUSS follows (at minus 3 times the % movement) the Daxglobal Russia+ index, which is very weighted (51%) towards energy, i.e. oil and gas. So maybe deadbroke's idea of just trading crude oil (e.g. using CFDs?) is also a goer, even if the relevance of my take on Russia (and not the world oil market) would get a bit diluted...

Many thanks to everyone who's posted to this thread!

Edit: apparently on 19 March the benchmark index will change to the Market Vectors Russia index, of which only 40% is energy.

Last edited:
You will have to go to the etf providers website to find out the detail of russ. As well as being 3 x leveraged you may be able to buy it on margin as well.

I am thinking of buying RUSS. Very newbie question - but how do I find out what UK-accessible broker offers this? Couldn't find any mention of it at the IB UK website. Would like a bit more leverage though. 10% fall in the index, 30% return...should be able to capitalise a bit more?? :)

you could ask IB support about this i am pretty sure they have it . Regarding to the tracking mechanism , it tracks the relevant index in a daily basis , which doesn't necessarily means if the index dropped 10% over a period of time the etf would have gained 30% no not necessarily , these etfs performs very well in a trending market only ...