Where can I find OBV data?

CarterUSM1962

Hi

I’m a relative novice to technical investing, and having read a few articles on the subject, it would seem that one of the best leading indicators would appear to be on balance volume. However, although most of the (free) technical analysis sites I’ve come across show the OBV graph, they do not appear to hold the OBV data upon which the graph is based.

Does anyone know if there are any sites out there – free or otherwise – which has easily accessible OBV data for any given share?

Otherwise – I might have to try converting the graphs to data somehow – again, can anyone recommend any conversion tools for this?

Generally speaking, do people agree that OBV is one of the best leading indicators? If not, does anyone have views as to any leading indicators they consider to be more reliable than OBV?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi

I’m a relative novice to technical investing, and having read a few articles on the subject, it would seem that one of the best leading indicators would appear to be on balance volume. However, although most of the (free) technical analysis sites I’ve come across show the OBV graph, they do not appear to hold the OBV data upon which the graph is based.

Does anyone know if there are any sites out there – free or otherwise – which has easily accessible OBV data for any given share?

Otherwise – I might have to try converting the graphs to data somehow – again, can anyone recommend any conversion tools for this?

Generally speaking, do people agree that OBV is one of the best leading indicators? If not, does anyone have views as to any leading indicators they consider to be more reliable than OBV?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Have a look at this link which explains it simply:

http://www.marketvolume.com/stocks/obv.asp?s=IBM&t=intl-business-machine

You need the closing price for each bar (in this case daily) and the volume for the bar.

Taking the last few days the values are:

Date Last Price Vol OBV
4/20/2016 146.12 6,324 K 29,485 K
4/19/2016 143.98 12,636 K 23,161 K
4/18/2016 152.53 5,521 K 35,796 K
4/15/2016 151.74 2,967 K 30,275 K

So 18th Apr was higher close than 15th Apr - so add volume for current day 18th to cumulative volume (OBV) from previous day = 30275 + 5521 = 35796.

The close for 19th was lower than the 18th - so deduct volume for current day from previous OBV = 35796 - 12636 = 23160 (rounded).

The close for 20th was higher than 19th - so add volume for current day to previous OBV = 6324 + 23161 = 29485