What Some Big Boys Think

do not listen to free fundamental (mis)information......why would any organisation with any insight into any of these markets make the information freely available in the public domain?

My old shop used to publish stuff to the wires at about 9.30. It gave those who paid for it two-and-a-half hours to make use of it, while increasing the profile of the bank -I think part of the idea was that punters thought it was of higher value if it was later in the public domain. Although I agree - it's all in the price, so you don't need the fundamentals...

What do these 'BIG BOYS' know? I love the way the banks almost always get FX wrong :cheesy: . What a load of bo****ks!

Jack o'Clubs said:
Which 'big boy' is that from CYOF, out of interest?

Hi JOC,

I was doing some advanced searching today, which I often do from time to time :cool: , and I found this report that is issued to brokerage firms from a major futures clearing house - it clearly states that it is not to be released to the public, so I will not post the full article as it might get T2W in trouble.

I am not sure if it will be posted daily, but I will check. I must say it makes interesting reading, just to see what information the the Big Boys are getting on a daily basis. Very good commentary on all the commodities.

I will send you a link to download later by PM -but as I said, this may be a once off report if the site does not put it up daily, and I have no interest in reading it on a daily basis anyway.

At the moment, it will be interesting to see if their current opinion on the Stocks has any merit. If their analysis is such that it covers some variables that we, the public, seem to ignore, then the dow should be staging a rally up in the start of a downtrend -in other words the market should rise today and then start to head down again - lets see what happens!

Market Summary 29Nov06

I will try and get todays summary up early - if I can find it :cheesy:

Lets see if these guys know something we don't :rolleyes:

Here are some interesting monthly reports that may assist with understanding how some of the big boys trade and what they are watching.

All free to the public, so no worries here.

http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/smr/smrback.htm

What makes these reports so interesting, is that they are comprised of FA & TA Charts, with a clear explanation of how each is used.

I think that this is good educational material - a lot better than most of the free rubbish out there.

Opinions?

I receive daily reports from a number of the big IB's and most of the time it is not what they think so much as what works for their book. Following these boys blindly is a definite recipe for disaster.
For example Barcap are always bullish everything
Goldman have been so wrong on crude spreads this year anybody following them would finished long ago
DB have no idea at all most of the time when it comes to base metals
JPM have screwed up so badly on carbon emissions this year it is no secret
ML , well they just send out reports about spreads and options nobody in their right mind would actually want to put on.

In conclusion. Take anything the "big boys" say with a pinch of salt. It is more about knowing what people in your market read every day than what is right.

Amen!!

Big boys

Boll0cks

I reckon that rhymes. :cheesy:
TWI said:
I receive daily reports from a number of the big IB's and most of the time it is not what they think so much as what works for their book. Following these boys blindly is a definite recipe for disaster.
For example Barcap are always bullish everything
Goldman have been so wrong on crude spreads this year anybody following them would finished long ago
DB have no idea at all most of the time when it comes to base metals
JPM have screwed up so badly on carbon emissions this year it is no secret
ML , well they just send out reports about spreads and options nobody in their right mind would actually want to put on.

In conclusion. Take anything the "big boys" say with a pinch of salt. It is more about knowing what people in your market read every day than what is right.

Market Summary 30Nov06

I tend to agree with most that they get it wrong nmost of the time - but lets actually see them get it wrong :cheesy:

Have to say, I like the concise nature of this report. Would be better if some of the others could take a lesson from it and cut down on the inane waffle.
If you want to ascertain the value of this you should include buy/sell for each product also with levels so we can see if these fundamentals can lead to real trades.

Ok, will pull out some Buy / Sell recommendations - but some days will be neutral of course.

Any market preferences to check availability?

Well how about metals/grains/softs and energy. these are the ones i know pretty well.

CYOF, TWI et al.

That report you keep posting up is 'The Hightower Report on Commodities' by David Hightower.

It's published to the net every day by RJ Brien & Associates.

I read this report EVERY DAY, and find it useful to read BUT I don't (and would never) follow their comments blindly. Take it from me, they are often wrong, like every other commentary out there.

It seems to me they change their fundamental reasoning according to what the particular market has JUST done in the last day or two.

If the market has jumped, out comes a barrage of bullish fundamentals. If it has dropped, the bearish ones are stated.

Anyone who has searched google for 'Dec coffee' or 'Nov soybeans' etc, will have come accorss the link before, surely.

The report is updated daily and is freely available to ANYONE at the following link:

http://www.tradersnetwork.com/Research/NewYorkCommodities.pdf

Hi DaveT,

Thanks for the info.

The reason I did not post the details is that it clearly states on the last page that it is not for public use!

This might get T2W into trouble?

And thanks for posting the link - as I havn't got the time to keep posting snippets.

Anyway, you are right, the details mean nothing most of the time.

Myself, I am currently testing some live trading on the YM - lost about 60 points today, but I did learn a little - always trade with the trend, not against it :!:

For some reason, some of us tend to look to trade in the opposite direction, which just will not work :idea:

I thought I had got over this with daytrading stocks, but some old bad habits are just hard to shake off :eek:

Regards,