What Is Your Favourite Trading Strategy ..??

FetteredChinos said:
no problem.

the way i trade is usually without stops. (well apart from catastrophe stops 500 points away)

since i go counter trend, accumulating positions, i just have to wait for an exit.

eg i wait for exit criteria to be met based on a simple daily pattern. if this exit comes when in profit, then bingo bango, if it occurs when the move has gone further than expected against me, and yet i still get an exit signal, then ive got to take it.

since i have multiple postions on at the same time, the move against me is sometimes lessened by an opposing position being closed for a profit.

its all a bit confusing, and requires a fair bit of excel to monitor all the trades i have entered, and this is just on the FTSE. not sure i could cope with several intsruments, unless i go automated, i guess.

FC

An Interesting method FC.
In my view if you can perfect the strat, its probably the best way of trading.
Im currently working on a method which involves accumulating and dumping lots working against the trend. Its in the testing phase now.

Faris

agreed Faris. i just dont like the way that when trading conventionally, you enter one stake, say long, put in your stops, and put in a target order, or pick a point at which to enter at a profit.

it seems that you are assuming that your original call would be reasonably accurate and your total wins outnumber your losses etc... it strkes me that this is akin to putting all your eggs in one basket.

if instead you had a couple of intruments that move indentically (i spreadbet, and use either 2 providers, or use the Cash market for shorts, and the near future for longs - they approximate each other near enough) you can then exit half your positions at a profit and allow for the mean reversion to bring the other side of things back in line.

eg, on thursday i was net short the FTSE. so the sell off this morning was a pleasant thing to wake up to.
will almost certainly be adding a long later in the day to bring me back to all-square position wise, but still holding 2 shorts and 2 longs.

it all gets a tad complicated, but i can make it work, and thats all that matters.

FC

Flavour of my month is a Trader's Trick Entry on the potential #3 point of a 1-2-3 reversal that follows a decent trend ending in a volume climax. Please don't ask me to define "decent" as it's a matter of context and subjectivity as ever. :)
Dump 3/4 of the position for 5 points profit, let the other 1/4 run.
Also I wait for a Ross Hook following a 1-2-3 breakout and then try and enter in the direction of the BO, again using the TTE on up to 3 pullback bars. Exit procedure much the same as before.

Testing still very much in progress at the refinery, but the principle seems sound enough. Well, if it's good enough for Joe Ross ...

I use a 4 min chart for entry/exit and trade the mini-Dow future.

Chinos I hope you enjoyed your 96 hour bender! :)

I prefer to long and short different things at the same time, not the same one at all.
E.g. Say short the Dow, go long some UK shares.
Or have shorts and longs on different UK shares

Trend identification through reconstruction of time series components by choice of eigenvalues is always a popular favourite.
Incidentally if anybody know something about this please pm me.

FC,
re: mean reversion

Isnt that what Bollinger bands do, what with their standard deviations and all ?

trendie, basically yes..

i did some analysis on BB's actually. if you buy every close below the lower BB and sell every close above the upper BB and close all positions 3-4 days later, hey presto, a simple strat that works.

some indices are more prone to these reversals - FTSE and the Dow are pretty good. CAC is ok, DAX is just plain crap.

anyones favourite trading strategy should be the one they can make work.

anything else is likely to be flavour of the month...

twalker said:
Trend identification through reconstruction of time series components by choice of eigenvalues is always a popular favourite.
Incidentally if anybody know something about this please pm me.

and me too while you're at it. :eek:

sounds impressive though. ideal dinner party conversation :)

I think I understand the idea of mean-reversion.
I tend to think of it as "windfall" profits, and to bag these situations.
But, whenever I do, they tend to be the beginning of a severe rise or fall, and I end up missing out.

re: favourites: I have yet to wean myself of MAs.
Nearly all my ideas are variations of, or functions thereof.
(although, having read Alan Farleys Master Swing Trader, I am beginning to use trend-lines more)
major issues tend to be ranging markets, but these can be accounted for.

i agree the trend is the action indicator .. but the time frame catches me re ;;daily looks great .. weekly looks not as good ..then monthly chart shows me the opposite direction of the daily chart re;direction .. ..so ..i try to get a overall direction on monthly chart before i go too far into shorter time frame charts ....but if i can find a uptrending montly chart .. and daily is in reversal ..ill study intraday to find a entry 4 a uptrend pullback ..i really enjot these types of trades ..:) sally :)

Spreads

I like to build up a large winning position over a period of six to eight weeks, at a time. While I am at the beach.
spunkyblonde said:
i would be very intersted in what other traders see as there favourite type of trade ... cheers .. :D sally .. :D

-oo0(GoldTrader) said:
I like to build up a large winning position over a period of six to eight weeks, at a time. While I am at the beach.

thanks goldtrader 4 the reply .. if u find out how to build up a large winning position over a period of six to eight weeks, at a time. While your at the beach. ...can you let me know ..lol cheers :D sally :D

(Sorry this response is so long) ;)

When the market is going up, like the Dow was over the last few weeks, I try to stay mostly long. For long plays, I start by finding the best performing sectors using Prophet.net. Stocks in hot sectors have the support of their peers to fall back on. Then within those sectors I scroll through the charts and find the ones with consistent upward trends, and the less overhead resistance the better. Stocks making new highs don't have long term investors who bought at higher prices, and who will create selling pressure. I like stocks that are trending up consistently for days to months. Then I basically jump on board, either on a breakout to a new high, or on a small pullback during a long uptrend.

I also find stocks breaking out of a range, or breaking to a new high by checking Yahoo Finance each day for stocks rising on high volume, and stocks with the highest daily % gains. I look for high volume to confirm the breakout. I avoid stocks that trade under 100,000 shares per day, because I feel the prices are more easily manipulated. When a stock is moving up I like high short interest which increases the risk of a short squeeze.

Sometimes I write down all my long candidates in the evening before a trading day, along with resistance levels, rationale, my price targets, news, etc., and I rate them in terms of how good a play they are. I find doing that helps immensely because it organizes my thoughts and provides a plan for the next day. I find I really can't research and trade at the same time.

I usually try to avoid a stock if it's one or two days away from an earnings announcement or split because people sometimes "sell the news" and banking on earnings is taking a risk. If a stock is a few points from a recent high, I wait for it to clear the high before I jump in.

I always write down my target and stop loss prior to the trade. Sometimes I hold on longer than my target, buy I'll set tighter and tighter stops to protect my profit. I like to set tight stops, usually right below the low for the day or the day prior when I open a trade but never more than 5%. I look for the most recent "support", but if there isn't any, then I put my stop about 5% below my entry. My rule is never to lose more than 1 or 2% of my capital on any one trade. If it doesn't make money within a few days I get out. and I often get out if it doesn't go up as expected, even before it hits my stop (I really hate to lose money).

Once I'm long, and it's trending up, each day I reset my stops and try to move them up slightly, so I can lock in a profit, even if it's small. If I stop out, I figure thats just the price you pay for "insurance".

I briefly check the fundamentals but I give more weight to technicals. I like using candles sticks on 1 and 3 month charts to try and determine the next move. For longs I prefer companies that recently beat analysts estimates and have high earnings growth, etc.,..

When the market turns bearish, like it did last week, I immediately go to cash and look for short candidates. For me, there are 2 categories: Sectors that are weak (like tech and healthcare right now) and sectors that ran up so fast that they come crashing down (like metals, oil and coal right now, etc.,) I set tight stops on shorts (I won't lose more than 5% on a trade).

I traded on paper for months before starting with real money, and it really paid off. The books that helped me develop my style are Swing Trading, Power Stratagies to Cut Risk and Boost Profits by Jon Markman and Rule the Freakin' Markets by Micheal Parness.

Last edited:
Reactions: ERA
SwingDoctor,

I like your strategy. Have you read the books of Nicolas Darvas? And how do you avoid "pump and dump" stocks?

Baruch said:
SwingDoctor,

I like your strategy. Have you read the books of Nicolas Darvas? And how do you avoid "pump and dump" stocks?

Baruch,

I haven't read his books but I do feel I have a LOT more to learn so I'll take a look.

I guess I don't really do anything spefic to avoid pump and dump, except that I place stops immediately after purchasing shares and I always honor my stops. I prefer stocks with a large percentage of shares held by insiders, like HANS or TIE and I get that information from Yahoo Finance. If there is a high percentage of insider stockholders, it means the insiders have confidence in the future performance of the company.

I've found trading in the recent market atmosphere (the last week or two) very difficult. The market seems very choppy, with no real day to day follow through. Commissions and small losses have been eating away at my prior profits. Stocks drop 5% one day, then gap up 5% the next, just to close down again. My better judgement has told me to go to cash and wait until the market gets back into a good trend, but I have a hard time not trading!

Anyone else having a hard time lately? Any tips?

SwingDoctor said:
Baruch,

I haven't read his books but I do feel I have a LOT more to learn so I'll take a look.

I guess I don't really do anything spefic to avoid pump and dump, except that I place stops immediately after purchasing shares and I always honor my stops. I prefer stocks with a large percentage of shares held by insiders, like HANS or TIE and I get that information from Yahoo Finance. If there is a high percentage of insider stockholders, it means the insiders have confidence in the future performance of the company.

I've found trading in the recent market atmosphere (the last week or two) very difficult. The market seems very choppy, with no real day to day follow through. Commissions and small losses have been eating away at my prior profits. Stocks drop 5% one day, then gap up 5% the next, just to close down again. My better judgement has told me to go to cash and wait until the market gets back into a good trend, but I have a hard time not trading!

Anyone else having a hard time lately? Any tips?

You can read the most famous Darvas book free here:

http://www.nicolasdarvas.org/index.php

It's strange, but your method and rules looks very much like old Darvas. ;)