• 100-250%

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • 250-500%

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • 1000%+

Votes: 32 25.0%

• Total voters
rougue ,

absolutely , that's the point I'm getting at - lies , damn lies and statistics.

blades,

well , of course 15k profit is better than any LOSS , that's for sure.

Wisestguy,

I disagree very slightly with your post (no. 61) about holding losing shares in a portfolio. If one has a £100,000 portfolio of shares and at the end of the year the realisable value is £60,000, then there is a paper loss of £40,000 or 40% even though the loss has not been realised. If one had been unfortunate enough to buy Japanese shares at their peak 20 years ago, one would be carrying losses forward every year and your portfolio would reflect this at the end of each accounting period.

To take it further, if you had also made £50,000 trading alongside your portfolio, your net gain for that year would be £50,000 - 40,000 (unrealised losses) = £10,000. If you were registered as a trader with the Inland Revenue, that is the way they would prefer to treat your situation for tax purposes. Also, if you were managing funds for other parties, you would reveal all the information.

Nevertheless, we are all agreed that one can manipulate data and figures to suit one's purposes and this is why long term investors have to check carefully before buying shares.

anley said:
The owners of Trade2Win should be very proud because they've got as members not only some of the greatest traders of today but of ALL TIME..........

People who think nothing of making 50% before the cornflakes have even got soggy.....
<snip>

LOL. This guy KNOWS what he's talking about!. It's always the beginners that want double (or triple digit ) monthly returns. Remember, there are bold traders and there are old traders. There are no bold, old traders. I take particular relish in scalping newbies that come to the market with their eyes wide shut. Expecting to make a killing overnight. I am absolutely relentless in seeking them out and squeezing them till the pips squeak. The best times to do this is during market panics (rallies or selloffs), when their fear or greed paralyses their little brains. As you probably guessed I am mostly contrarian. Remeber, the big money is ALWAYS on the SUPRISE side.

I look forward to welcoming these newbies into my world of options trading (IThe FTSE100 is one of my favourite stomping grounds - I am still licking my licks from the last breakout we had in late september --- Hmmm, delicious!)

lion,

you have just repeated what I said . I don't see anything in post that contradicts me . you have just added more tax jargon . in my book lees jargin = more sense.

note : yes the options game is BS for most people . stick to regular stuff , exotics are for people who want to prove how clever they are not win.

Yeah wisest and lion and...............

The funny thing is everybody says more or less the same, only in other words.....
And its because of those other words that suddenly I`m on post 68. :cheesy: