What happens when you bet on penny shares?

Bakez

If I go long at £10 per point on a share that is only worth 15p, is the maximum I can possibly lose just 15 x 10 = £150?

Hi Bakez,
An interesting question!
In theory, I think you're right, although the best person to talk to is your SB rep'. I'm not sure what happens to the spread if the price waterfalls down to 1p or so. I imagine that the SB company wouldn't give a quote and/or have a cut off point for all open trades - but I'm only guessing.
Tim.
PS. Generally speaking, the answer to the question in the thread title is that most people lose. On the risk spectrum, penny shares are as risky as a very risky risky thing - unless you know something that others don't.

Yes I realise how risky they are, but I'm trying to actually calculate my risk if I do bet on one. I usually do around £1-2 per point, but I only go for shares in the FTSE 350 usually at 150p+

I think the spread in percentage terms on penny shares tends to be so great that you're unlikely to make a profit.

Any one sure of an answer for this?

"If I go long at £10 per point on a share that is only worth 15p, is the maximum I can possibly lose just 15 x 10 = £150?"

Any one sure of an answer for this?

"If I go long at £10 per point on a share that is only worth 15p, is the maximum I can possibly lose just 15 x 10 = £150?"

I don't understand the OP's question , yes you wont lose more than "150 pounds + rollovers and commissions" ...

I don't understand the OP's question , yes you wont lose more than "150 pounds + rollovers and commissions" ...

Thanks. My colleague is chancing his luck on spread betting penny shares and it just sounded too good to be true. he says that a 10k per point bet on a 0.07p share has a maximum loss of £700 + spread,etc.

yet if by the off-chance the share rises 1p, he'll make 10k!

It just seemed like the SB providers would not allow such upside with such a lowside risk.

Is he correct?

You can bet on UK AIM shares , dont think its available on US penny stocks ...

Thanks. My colleague is chancing his luck on spread betting penny shares and it just sounded too good to be true. he says that a 10k per point bet on a 0.07p share has a maximum loss of £700 + spread,etc.

yet if by the off-chance the share rises 1p, he'll make 10k!

It just seemed like the SB providers would not allow such upside with such a lowside risk.

Is he correct?

What are the chances for a 0.07 stock to rise 15 folds to 1p ? yes it happens but not that often , its ok to bet on such shares with a SB firm , they know what they are doing : they may hedge big bets on such shares , plus they earn from daily rollovers and from Bid/Ask wide spreads , for example at Spreadex Oxus Gold is at 1.81/2.18 but Forte Energy is at 0.32/0.36 and Range Resources is at 1.2/1.25 however Baron Oil is at 1.39/1.61 ...

Last edited:
Ok. So its basically take a punt and pray.
thanks, I'll stick to what I know

I would, especially with SB - prone to go phone only a lot due to
lack of liquidity, that and wide spreads (up to 25% spread in some cases).

Maybe for the odd swing trade punt on something that looks interesting,
otherwise I'd leave them well alone.
Lax rules on AIM reporting and general lack of transparency are other reasons
to steer clear.

with a SB firm , they know what they are doing : they may hedge big bets on such shares , plus they earn from daily rollovers...

Confirmed, they do, you can see those hedge and rollover trades on the tape.
Both usually reported late so print time is out of whack with tape time.

Last edited:
If I go long at £10 per point on a share that is only worth 15p, is the maximum I can possibly lose just 15 x 10 = £150?

It depends on how many ‘ticks’ that spread betting provider considers per point.

If they have it as 15p > 16p > 17p etc then yes, 15 points x £10 = £150 loss.

If they have it as 15.1, 15.2, 15.3p as their increments for example, you would then make or lose £10 for every 0.1p it moves, losing £1,500 if it drops to £0.