Were all going to hell !!!

One last thing; I think there should be a State Bank. bere minimum of interest rate, if any. No overdrafts. No credit cards. Just basic banking facilities. You cant gat by without a bank account nowadays, they are as important as schools and hospitals, so the state should provide one and run it with the taxes I pay. So, of you want somehwhere safe to put your savings, do it there.

Then, anyone who wanted better conditions (interest, credt cards etc) can go to a commercial bank, where they have to accept the risk that it can all go tits up.

Also, a neat solution to the stagflation problem will be to introduce mugh higher minimum payments of credit cards or finance schemes. Watch how spending falls is minimum payments are increased to 30% of face value - inflation problem solved w/out having to lower rates, and vice versa.

Just think about the 100's of people who as a young choir boys were sexually abused by catholic priests.

How can religious institutions preach anything?

One last thing; I think there should be a State Bank. bere minimum of interest rate, if any. No overdrafts. No credit cards. Just basic banking facilities. You cant gat by without a bank account nowadays, they are as important as schools and hospitals, so the state should provide one and run it with the taxes I pay. So, of you want somehwhere safe to put your savings, do it there.

Then, anyone who wanted better conditions (interest, credt cards etc) can go to a commercial bank, where they have to accept the risk that it can all go tits up.

Also, a neat solution to the stagflation problem will be to introduce mugh higher minimum payments of credit cards or finance schemes. Watch how spending falls is minimum payments are increased to 30% of face value - inflation problem solved w/out having to lower rates, and vice versa.

Problem solved in one go. (Can't rep you again).

Only thing is it will never happen because credit card companies DEPEND on people paying the least amount of re payments each month. It SHOULD happen. But it won't.

Totally agree with everything Mr Gecko says.

The buy it now generation are in for a rude awakening. Unfortunately it's everyone that will have to pay as this generation find they can no longer afford to spend and the country goes into recession.

Slightly off topic..

Ian Hislop made a brilliant quote on Question Time the other day

"Gordon brown announced years ago that there'd be no more boom and bust. Well he succeeded! There's no more boom."

I ask myself - recession/depression - from a personal viewpoint, and as a trader, do i actually care?

As a trader, the answer is no. I can still make £/$/€.

As a person, the answer yes. Because it affects all my family & friends & the society as a whole.

Didn't we have one of those in UK years ago? Wasn't it called"GiroBank"and wasn't it "improved" by the politicians by adding all the things we think it doesn't need? Then it got sold to the Alliance & Leicester >>>>>Santander ........

Excellent, are the bars open all day there ?

Reserve me a seat will you.

Far rather spend my time there with some decent people than with some religious hypocrites spending their time in heaven salivating about guns, Bush's wars, the death penalty, cruelty to animals, and I'm-on-a-mission-from-God-Sarah Palin, lol.

jesusland.jpg

palin-doctrine.jpg

bush_jesusad.jpg

2008-01_Hypocrites.jpg

Yep.

Definitely reserve me a place in that bar down below mate.

general hypocrisy and lack of knowledge by the masses.

I have never known anybody complain when their property has doubled in value.
Have you ever known anyone to go the Financial Ombudsman when their shares have tripled in value, complaining thet they have been given too much dividends?

What kind of a moron buys property at 125% value?
(I have £100 in notes here on the table. You can buy this £100 in notes for just £125 of your banknotes. Any takers?)

Sympathy has to go to those who have no influence on decisions, especially about jobs, since these events (losing jobs) are outside of their control. Also, most could not have anticipated the massive increase in repayments on their mortgages. But, as per MrGecko, some rudimentary knowledge is required.

Going to hell? I am LONG on hand-carts.

Didn't we have one of those in UK years ago? Wasn't it called"GiroBank"and wasn't it "improved" by the politicians by adding all the things we think it doesn't need? Then it got sold to the Alliance & Leicester >>>>>Santander ........

Dont know about Girobank, before my time - But, Northern Rock is a much more pertinant example.

Incidentally, Santander are f*cked. The spanish property market is going to collapse in on itself, and they are still paying for a bank that will now be worth a fraction of what they paid for it.

After Irish banks, spanish ones will be the next to go IMO.

Archbishops Pot & Kettle

I see the Church has £5bn of investments etc. I bet none of their brokers ever shorted any of that!

Now waiting to see if Sentamu and Williams recommend the Church divests itself of these wicked capitalist investments. Could be a long wait ........

Reactions: BSD
Excellent, are the bars open all day there ?

The real hell is where there is plenty of beer and horny beurtiful young women, the beer glasses haveing extra holes where the beer runs out of and the chicks having no holes....

Principles of Ethical Investing

I see the Church has £5bn of investments etc. I bet none of their brokers ever shorted any of that!

Now waiting to see if Sentamu and Williams recommend the Church divests itself of these wicked capitalist investments. Could be a long wait ........

Surely being long is a form of being short though....because if your money is in...say...Intel, then that money is not in....IBM. And if IBM then goes down in price and Intel doesn't then surely you are profiting from IBM's demise. Clearly to go to Heaven you must put all of your cash into the stocks that go down in order to prop them up - and pay their outgoing CEO's their golden parachute payments.... send the unemployed off with a nice little nest-egg, what what?

And when you short-sell, what about the b*gger that buys your shares at the lower price? Shouldn't they hold out for a higher price? Wouldn't that mean that going long is ungodly if you buy at low levels? Hence you must also pay over the odds for stuff to go to heaven. 'I won't accept your Lloyds shares at £1.47 - I INSIST on paying £4.50 for them!'

No wonder religion is no longer the financial powerhouse it once was...

A far more serious threat to the tier 1 ratios of the ecclesiastical powerhouse is the problem of thieving gits taking all the copper off their roofs and lead out of their windows; commodity prices, eh?

Is it true that churches, or acknowledged religions, dont pay TAX?

A far more serious threat to the tier 1 ratios of the ecclesiastical powerhouse is the problem of thieving gits taking all the copper off their roofs and lead out of their windows; commodity prices, eh?

Yeah - they would lose their gilt-edged rating! :LOL:

I believe that is true Trendie - at least in the US. I remember seeing a documentary about that nutjob Phelps' business getting tax-free status for operating out of his church.

Church of England assets are managed by the Church Commissioners - annual report here: http://www.churchcommissionersannualreport.org/2007/Financialstatements.pdf - page 26 shows their portfolio. No mention of tax but presumably they pay some through fund management etc? Or, do they spreadbet? Or was Socratese their insider? Or is this where Spanish now trades?

Church commissioners seem to be a wide mix of society covering all views ;) -

Extract from: The Church Commissioners | Church of England
Who are the Church Commissioners?

The 33 Church Commissioners are:

* the two archbishops;
* three Church Estates Commissioners, who represent the Church Commissioners in General Synod and (Second Commissioner) in Parliament;
* eleven people elected from General Synod: four bishops, three clergy, four lay people;
* two deans or provosts;
* nine people who are appointed by the Crown and the archbishops;
* six ex officio members: the Prime Minister, the Lord Chancellor, the Lord President of the Council, the Home Secretary, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, and the Speaker of the House of Commons.