Warning: XPSP3 Cripples Some PCs with endless reboots.

the issue im having is that it has installed antivirus2008 and it kicks off every time i start up my pc, and also reminds me of how many viruses i have every 5min with pop ups. this is infuriating.

i have norton2008, run it regularly, etc, so i dont believe this microsoft report.

how do i get rid of antivirus2008? ive tried the control panel - add/remove programs but it isnt listed.

any help?

Charlie,

Try, Start, Programmes, Startup. It may be in there (disable/delete it if you can).

Alternatively, try the freeware programme, Autoruns (from sysinternlas.com). This shows all files loaded at various times for various operations, and lets you stop or delete them. Antivirus 2008 may be found under the Services or Startup tab. If not, look elsewhere.

Grant.

i think its a scam. i was reading on a microsoft site about a similar program xp antivirus 2008 that installs itself, then after telling you how many viruses you have every 5 mins so you buy the licence.

if i go to properties, the language setting is english(zimbabwe) - dodgy!

i will try to delete it using your program. currently, I have found the file, but cant delete the .exe. I get a message saying check my disk is not write-protected!

This will almost certainly be a virus itself of some sort. In one similar case for a friend of mine I had to reinstall the whole OS to get rid of it.

Paul

well, since removing the file, and moving the .exe to another location (desktop) the app hasn't started up. I couldn't find the app grantx mentioned - some similar ones, but not the precise one.

i will google and see what comes up - someone else must have had this as well....

I'm still hearing scare stories about XP SP3.

Anyone downloaded SP3 yet ? and if so is it causing any probs ?

dd

i would steer clear of it for the time being. I've installed it on a dozen or so systems so far, and ended up uninstalling within days, due to random problems - shutdown issues, outlook issues - all manner of weird problems that weren't there pre-SP3.

So, just the usual M$ **** up then.

i would steer clear of it for the time being. I've installed it on a dozen or so systems so far, and ended up uninstalling within days, due to random problems - shutdown issues, outlook issues - all manner of weird problems that weren't there pre-SP3.

So, just the usual M$ **** up then.

Cheers rossored.

Yes, the usual from MS it would seem.

I've turned off Automatic updates for the time being.

dd

rossored

Do you know if MS have sorted SP3 yet ?

Is it ok to switch Auto updates back on do you think ?

dd