VPS, virtual desktops etc

fws

Can anyone recommend a VPS or virtual desktop provider for me to put all my software on an run my systems?

Can anyone recommend a VPS or virtual desktop provider for me to put all my software on an run my systems?

This a virtual desktop provider Oracle's Virtualbox it was mentioned on another thread. I'm not entirely sure if this is what your after as I have no experience with this kind of stuff, but it might be worth a look.

I used triple8.net for windows vm to run TS systems and it worked great. There was an outage over a year ago, but since then I haven't had any major problems. They use the Citrix viewer client. It hangs on startup occasionally but once logged in is very stable and responsive.

I use a mac so this was a great way to run Tradeststion. I like TS but I'm looking at other options since any serious system should probably run on a more stable OS, IMHO.

888.net had a special that bumped up the ram to 2gb for TS to run was @$49 a month.

I have someone I use for my stuff and I use Tradestation as well. I don't know how much he is charging now, but I think around $200 a month. It is up basically 100% of the time, and when it is down for maintenance it is on Sunday's. PM me if you want his email and information.

I use Daily.co.uk. For TS, whether it be v8.8 or higher, you really do need 4gb as a package to run it quickly and efficiently in a VPS environment. I would not say I am entirely happy with them as I have had some spontaneous outages in the past 6months but having said that, I have autoback up running weekly on TS so its not a major loss in work/coding I personally incur should i be subject to an outage. Cost is c£40 per month for 4gb from what I recall

Sometimes its easier to ask than google it and read lots of different sites. Questions for you SanMiguel:
> How much does Virtualbox cost?....for say 4gb?
> Is it just like VPS in that i can switch off my PC and still log on and see my TS Platform in a virtual server?

Sometimes its easier to ask than google it and read lots of different sites. Questions for you SanMiguel:
> How much does Virtualbox cost?....for say 4gb?
> Is it just like VPS in that i can switch off my PC and still log on and see my TS Platform in a virtual server?

How much memory do you have on the host PC?
VirtualBox is free as far as I am aware. I think it can make use of as much memory as you have on your host but you need to leave some for the host to run.
eg Your have Windows XP on the host with 4Gb, you install VirtualBox also with a Windows Guest but it effectively runs as its own system and you can allocate 3Gb to it.
Just try it out for a bit...

You cannot switch off your PC as it is the host but you can turn off the guest OS (Virtual Box) whenever you want.

ok thanks. I have alot of free memory on the host PC as I save everything to an external drive so the memory is freed up to run applications.

The catch for me is that to leave the host PC on if I am away from home for a lengthy period of time will damage the hard drive/fan of the host PC over a period of time

So I need a switch off host PC option which really only leaves VPS i think. I guess my solution is to find a VPS that doesn't have downage issues like i have experienced because one of the key objectives of using a VPS is to have virtually no downage

Thanks for your feedback

Regards

ok thanks. I have alot of free memory on the host PC as I save everything to an external drive so the memory is freed up to run applications.

The catch for me is that to leave the host PC on if I am away from home for a lengthy period of time will damage the hard drive/fan of the host PC over a period of time

So I need a switch off host PC option which really only leaves VPS i think. I guess my solution is to find a VPS that doesn't have downage issues like i have experienced because one of the key objectives of using a VPS is to have virtually no downage

Thanks for your feedback

Regards

The point of virtual is that it has to run on a host, that's why it's called virtual...there is no hardware. I don;t see how you could turn off the host PC in that situation?!
PCs, particularly servers are designed to be left on 24/7, it actually causes more damage turning them on and off but you likely won't see any issues in the lifetime of the computer.

VirtualBox doesn't turn off unless you tell it to, what are the downtime problems you have had? Your alternative is to get a virtual system rented from a server farm but it's gonna cost you.

I probably didn't explain myself very well:

1. Option 1 is virtualbox from my understanding. If I have this I install it/download it/save it or do whatever is required to get it onto my personal PCs harddrive so I can access this and see this virtual server from my home pc or any other PC. HOWEVER, from my understanding my home PC which is the host is the one I have to always leave on. This i do not want to do

2. Option 2 is a 3rd party paid for as you say VPS. Its 24/7, I can access it from any PC and it uses someone elses hardware and not mine. I have this and have had this for many a year running zillions of strategies on TS. I don't have to leave my personal PC on to access or run this as I am not the host

So Option 1 is cheaper but I have to leave my PC on and Option 2 is more expensive but I can switch my personal PC off

If I have misunderstood then let me know.

I probably didn't explain myself very well:

1. Option 1 is virtualbox from my understanding. If I have this I install it/download it/save it or do whatever is required to get it onto my personal PCs harddrive so I can access this and see this virtual server from my home pc or any other PC. HOWEVER, from my understanding my home PC which is the host is the one I have to always leave on. This i do not want to do

2. Option 2 is a 3rd party paid for as you say VPS. Its 24/7, I can access it from any PC and it uses someone elses hardware and not mine. I have this and have had this for many a year running zillions of strategies on TS. I don't have to leave my personal PC on to access or run this as I am not the host

So Option 1 is cheaper but I have to leave my PC on and Option 2 is more expensive but I can switch my personal PC off

If I have misunderstood then let me know.

Aha, I see.
Well, I wouldn;t worry about the hard disks and fan, but you should worry about electricity costs so you'll have to compare that to renting virtual space at a host farm.
For 4Gb, you're looking at £50-£60pm though.

http://www.google.com/search?client...gc.r_pw.&fp=3e67cd2feba15e18&biw=1440&bih=675

thanks. As i mentioned initially, I already have a VPS provider for 4gb and it costs me around £45 pcm. As always though I am seeking a cheaper solution without compromising my requirements.

VPSs overall however are great as I can even access my private server and view it through my phone.

I am new to forex trading but I'm glad that I was able to do my trading activities smoothly with a VPS provided by traderscolo.com..works well for me (y)

lol you could have just advertised for yourself instead of making up a line :LOL: Also I don't even see a physical address for the company and where the servers are located. That could make a huge difference in execution time for automated trading. The ping rate or latency is affected by where the brokers server farm actually is instead of the exchange. That would be important to find out for each different trader. But for me, I would like to know where your servers are located :) Price is good at least.

Anyway, the VPS I use, the guy has it for $150 a month and it hasn't ever had any problems. Also has a 0ms ping to TradeStation servers because it is actually in the same building as theirs! I don't mind paying him the $150 a month for the simple fact that I know what I am getting. I think you definitely need a fast VPS if you are daytrading, or especially if automated trading.

Definitely saved my ass a few times with power outages and internet disconnections.

FYI....Do NOT use daily.co.uk. I have had at least 10-15 outages this year over and above scheduled maintenance that they do (which seems to fix nothing as problems keep recurring)

They are an absolute shambles when it comes to VPS as a provider. They admit themselves to having no service levels in place for VPS and in several instances, have been unable to rectify issues at their end which have caused subsequent issues in VPS.

Just save your money and utilise it instead with a company that has customers as part of its service level focus.

Appauling provider is all I can say and I have umpteen emails and exchanges with them saved that prove this and their continuous number of outages

sorry to cover old ground on this but just a re-iteration of what I said before due to another bad experience with Daily.co.uk (whom I shall be migrating from as soon as my term expires with them).

I have (along with many other VPS subscribers) had 5 full days of VPS outage. This is shambolic and if I had an FX EA or any strategies running live, it would cause me mayhem. Really do not use them. Outage for a few hours and unforseen outage is bad enough as this happens regularly. To have 5 consecutive full days of outage is a very poor performance and demonstrates their third rate approach to customer service (Outage from 23rd to 27th Dec inclusive)