Vince stanzione workbook

As far as courses go, make sure they're clear about what they're trying to teach you. If they're offering you a 'trading system' and it's promoted in the 'get rich quickly' way, then ask to see contract notes and statements from the promoter's own long term use of that trading system to prove it works. I doubt you'd get any, which probably says it all about such systems.

Even if you could find someone offering a trading system with cast iron proof of its effectiveness, there's still no guarantee that you will be able to trade it successfully. A trading system has to suit you and the best way to make sure of that is to develop it yourself.

If you really want a 'course', make sure it's clear about what it's going to teach you from the outset. You might find, for example, an excellent course about Gann Charting and if that's what you want then it will be fine. If, however, it promises to 'make you a successful trader' then it should be treated with caution.

Books are probably the best place to start. Opinion will always be divided about what constitutes a good book; I quite liked 'Trading Systems and Money Management' by Thomas Stridsman, but there are plenty of good books out there.

The sorts of things you need to be clear about at the outset are money management, position sizing, exit strategies and risk/reward. Without these in place, you simply won't be trading long enough to give any 'system' a decent go.

Once you have all those written down and you're happy you could trade within the framework you've established, pick a couple of securities, indexes, commodities or whatever and have a look at the charts. Apply a few technical indicators to them (but only ever apply indicators you fully understand) and see what they tell you. Can you see correlations between the indicators and the rise and fall in price? If so, paper trade them for a while and see what would have happened. Run some 'what if' situations to see how much you'd be down if, say, the first 10 investments you made ran against you. Would you still be in the game? Experiment with indicators until you're happy that maths works in your favour.

The next thing you might want to do is see if those same indicators work across a broader spectrum of instruments. You don't have to use the same indicators (although that's the aim of an all-encompassing mechanical trading system), you might find that different indicators are appropriate and that's fine too if you're happy with that; some successful traders I've met only trade a handful of instruments with a different set of indicators on each. The consistent discipline they apply to all of those instruments is in the money management and exit side of things.

Perhaps most importantly though, you need to be psychologically 'tuned in' to what you're doing. There is nothing wrong with changing a system to improve it, but it should never be a knee-jerk type of change. If you have a system, try to trade it with as little emotion as possible and rely on the system to tell you when to enter and exit - never second guess it. You're going to need to give any system a fair run before dismissing it and that might cost you. Your money management discipline should ensure that it doesn't cost you too much. You will need to be able to cope with drawdowns and you need to have a system that you're confident enough in to be able to trade through those drawdowns without abandoning the system.

But don't necessarily listen to me! I'm not a millionaire and I've lost a lot of money trading in the past. I do primarily make my money from trading now but, although it makes a 'comfortable' living, I'm by no means 'rich'. I can't afford a Ferrari, I can only afford one holiday a year and I'm not much better off financially than I was when I had a 'real' job. I'm still learning too and I've got a long way to go. Maybe someone who can afford the Ferrari and manages to holiday 3 times a year would like to add to my post and correct any glaring errors I've made.

No Time

Satori said:
But don't necessarily listen to me! I'm not a millionaire and I've lost a lot of money trading in the past. I do primarily make my money from trading now but, although it makes a 'comfortable' living, I'm by no means 'rich'. I can't afford a Ferrari, I can only afford one holiday a year and I'm not much better off financially than I was when I had a 'real' job. I'm still learning too and I've got a long way to go. Maybe someone who can afford the Ferrari and manages to holiday 3 times a year would like to add to my post and correct any glaring errors I've made.

I havn't got time at the moment ;)

DITD said:
Are any of you grizzled tradersaware of a course which you "approve of"? I know I am asking the "lazy man's way to riches question" but surely there has to be one at least over here or across the water which produces a positive result on a regular basis.

Goldline, Stanzione, 2clickinvestor, Mike Parness etc - any good or tosh?

Total Tosh - I'm sure the members on the board can add many more to this list
;)

Zenda and others- feel free to please.

Satori - thanks your your written thoughts.

I would have thought there would have been at least one worthy course in the world. Zenda thinks not but if anyone thinks there is then please let me know. I would happily sign up and act as a guinea pig and report back my results.

Fools and their money...

DITD said:
Zenda and others- feel free to please.

Satori - thanks your your written thoughts.

I would have thought there would have been at least one worthy course in the world. Zenda thinks not but if anyone thinks there is then please let me know. I would happily sign up and act as a guinea pig and report back my results.

Face facts. No course will make you a successful trader. Who is going to part with his/her Golden Goose for your benefit? You could learn approaches to the market via Mr Charts or Naz on the homepage (There are threads discussing both persons and you are wise to ask about such courses but forget the "we will show you how to make £400 a day blah", at least read the beginner sections on this site but I promise you there is no course to make you successful. For that you have to get off your butt and read widely, practice on simulators or small stakes and then you may be ready for Mr. Charts or Naz and their ilk if you so choose, but at the moment you sound as though you want to be given a holy grail of trading: you will not find it (The biggest obstacle to success is you - psychology - methods of trading are a small part of the mix) it's hard work and takes time. But it's your money and there are many snake oil vendors about willing to lighten your wallet. :|

"Who is going to part with his/her Golden Goose for your benefit? "

Well you and other members give advice for free here. Surely someone somewhere has a system that works more times than not and are prepared to market it.

Last edited:
Talkin' to a brick wall

DITD said:

Well you and other members give advice for free here. Surely someone somewhere has a system that works more times than not and are prepared to market it.

Jeez - I'll get me coat :eek:

Neil.

As I have time on my hands today I have trawled through discussions on ADVFN and here. Seems as though I am in the minority because countless people who have tested such systems have been negative, particularly about the Vince Stanzione course!

I still believe there is a course out there for me and if any of those "snake oil" salesmen want to convince me then I am an easy target.

Thanks for your time.

Mark.

DITD said:

There is no Golden Goose. The very (false) idea that there is such a thing is what the snake oil peddlars use to sell their courses.

Spend a few weeks reading about the common technical indicators, play with them on the FTSE 100 chart until you've got a system that wins more than it loses. Apply strict money management techniques along the way. Fund yourself for a few years worth of mistakes whilst you learn along the way, don't give up and you'll eventually have a system that works for you.

There's your Golden Goose and it's as Golden as anyone else's Goose. Other people's 'systems' are, in essense, no different. They may use different technicals or the latest Grunting Dog Gobbler Fractal Indicator or whatever, but it's just another Goose from the gaggle.

DITD......STOP......STOP IT RIGHT NOW! Start thinking for yourself, matey. Do you realise you sound crazy (not to be offensive). MAKE AN EFFORT, come on. There is nothing wrong in looking into 'theories' or 'methods' and all that. That is your experience! But, in the end, you must be thinking for yourself. Rude

neil said:
Face facts. No course will make you a successful trader. Who is going to part with his/her Golden Goose for your benefit? You could learn approaches to the market via Mr Charts or Naz on the homepage (There are threads discussing both persons and you are wise to ask about such courses but forget the "we will show you how to make £400 a day blah", at least read the beginner sections on this site but I promise you there is no course to make you successful. For that you have to get off your butt and read widely, practice on simulators or small stakes and then you may be ready for Mr. Charts or Naz and their ilk if you so choose, but at the moment you sound as though you want to be given a holy grail of trading: you will not find it (The biggest obstacle to success is you - psychology - methods of trading are a small part of the mix) it's hard work and takes time. But it's your money and there are many snake oil vendors about willing to lighten your wallet. :|

I know this will be immediatly removed as unwarented blatent advertising but I ran a course for beginners last Thuursday and this was the feedback from every attendee - (this will last 30 seconds no doubt and I will get an e mail warning from the moderator - bur read - they are uncolocited, Zenda

Feedback & Comments from the Beginners Forex Workshop held Yesterday 14th July 2005

“ Prior to attending the course I knew nothing about trading. I know feel equipped to pursue this as a possible business venture. I also love the idea of being able to practice trading using the demo sites provided.
The course was clear and concise. There were ample information provided to enable a first timer like myself to get off the ground without feeling confused by all the info on the market” – Ms C W 14/07/05

“Surprised to find that almost anyone can do this, I have now decided that this is for me after this one day course. I will not pay a penny for some of these so called trading systems.
Wonderful way of presenting the course, and so easy to understand. GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY” Peter G 14/07/05

“Excellent course to start learning a complex subject. Logically explained on words of one syllable” Phil S 14/7/05

“Very Good honestly put across – no hype” – B H 14/7/05

“Difficult and complex subject covered with good explanation and tutorial. Good information given with the course.” P H 14/7/05

“With absolutely no prior knowledge of trading. I have been given a great overview of the whole system. Very succinct and enough back up not to panic that I have not taken in enough
Fantastic value course. Great take away and wonderful humour which kept a great atmosphere for all the information handed out.” – Kate G 14/07/05

“Great Venue – Good Food. Packed with loads of info, looking forward to my first trade, very informative. Great delivery. May well need one to one training after a few months of trading.” K G 14/7/05

“Clean and spacious venue, food was excellent and staff were professional and friendly. Well presented and useful points with charts. Would like to cover more on basic financial terms “ A P 14/7/05

“Excellent venue. John is an excellent instructor, explaining Forex in plain English with no BS” – M V 14/7/05

“Great Lunch. The course was delivered in plain English, very clear, made it easy to follow and understand and presented in an amusing manner. Would recommend it ti friends and family” L W 14/7/05

“Very nice venue, clean cool room nice food and drinks. Enjoyed the course very much. Will see if I understand it when I get online. Enjoyed John’s style and delivery”. R S 14/7/05

“Very informative, good pace, clear explanations, food and drinks wonderfully presented” S P 14/7/05

“I came with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. John you are excellent , the course was explained fully, easy to understand, good visual displays. Amazed by the amount of materials we received. This course is well recommended” B P 14/7/05

“ A fun and information packed day with the basics of forex trading explained by a teacher and coach who walks his talk. John’s ability to communicate so many aspects of this fascinating and lucrative subject represents great value for money. A great day” M H 14/7/05

“This is just what I need to extend my portfolio of financial activities. This course kept me awake all day! You have no idea what praise that is!! The only comment was that the introduction could have been headlined a bit more. I look forward to the Tornado system. Cost of the course and the professional approach is exemplary” J W 14/7/05

“I really loved it I’m a real beginner, I would never imagine that I could enter this fantastic world. Thanks John” M T 14/7/05

10, 9 , 8, 7, 6 ....................
;)

Zenda, people get sucked in, if there is a spare buck lying around. What you have posted does not mean anything. Can they do it on thier own? I hope they can.

Rudeboy. We can do most things on our own! However if I can get a leg up then surely that is more of a help than a hinderance?

Four years of wading through total c**p with odd gems that stick. Read , study charts, get depressed , trial and error, lose a little money, lose a little more, learn what does not work, learn what does work, read tons more, bin most of what you read, don't purchase anything unless you know why you want it , including introductory courses, for that is exactly what they are ! they will not turn you into a trader.

In short, do the b****y work yourself !

C V

C_V. Red rag to a bull. I am going to find one which works! I may be a magnificent failure and waste a good deal of time and lose a pot load of money but I have plenty of both so we shall see!

Ps. I do not wish to appear foolish or argumentative. All answers to my questions are appreciated and I am sure completely valid and sensible. I just want to see if the claims from the courses are outrageous and also whether the doubters on this and the numerous other threads I have read are too negative and dismissive. Two sides of the same coin.

Regards,

Mark.

DITD,

What is it you want to learn?

If it's the basics of trading, try the Knowledge Lab or my own site which you can find by clicking the "WWW" button below.

If you want Stanzione's workbook let me know because I have one going spare.

DITD said:
Ps. I do not wish to appear foolish or argumentative. All answers to my questions are appreciated and I am sure completely valid and sensible. I just want to see if the claims from the courses are outrageous and also whether the doubters on this and the numerous other threads I have read are too negative and dismissive. Two sides of the same coin.

Well I'm not sure anyone's denying that there will be trading-related courses out there that are both educational and useful. Of course there are. The particular genre of courses that most people are cautious of are the 'get rich quick' type.

Go onto ebay and type Vince Stanzione in the search section. If you are lucky you should be able to pick up a copy of his books for a few quid (just watch the postage costs)

Don't read other peoples thoughts and ideas about the market. Listen to yourself. Start making a log of your own thoughts, ideas and feelings about the market and your individual trades. When you can look back and say "Ahh, that makes sense now", then you have truly grasped the nettle. And, don't give me any rubbish about "well, how will i know?". To understand your own trading is all you need, and of course some very basic ideas and principles. Good trading, Rude.