Very low volume on Binexx?

apples10 said:
as if they've got the wrong price, so what (unless you are arbing) - if you get the direction wrong, you still lose.

I’m not sure if that is true. If you consistently spot ‘value’ then you will, over a longer period of time, make consistent profits. The key is money management. If you only risk say 0.5% to 1% on any given trade then you can be sure that you’ll make a profit over time. This is because you’ll always be starting the bet from a position of advantage. Think about it carefully and you’ll understand what I mean. Sure, arbing locks the profit but you don’t need to think that way.

I really would like to make a study on, as you put it, ‘quiet’ days and also ‘noise’ days.

Any ideas?

Steve.

stevespray said:
I’m not sure if that is true. If you consistently spot ‘value’ then you will, over a longer period of time, make consistent profits. The key is money management. If you only risk say 0.5% to 1% on any given trade then you can be sure that you’ll make a profit over time. This is because you’ll always be starting the bet from a position of advantage. Think about it carefully and you’ll understand what I mean. Sure, arbing locks the profit but you don’t need to think that way.

I really would like to make a study on, as you put it, ‘quiet’ days and also ‘noise’ days.

Any ideas?

Steve.

Sorry, but don't agree with you - and now is a prime example. So they have the wrong vol in their model (they have actually gone down to 5%, wheras the realised 30-minute annualised is at 10%) - so they are bidding 85 on the 13:30 hourly, when it should be 81 - so you sell, but hey, the market stays up and settles at 100 (which it will!!)- you lose,so what if you sold an expensive wrong price!!

It would be hard to do a study on quiet days and 'noise' over figures as every day is different and things like weather,sport, are all factors that enter the mix - for instance was this mornings fall overdone as most traders were watching the cricket score on their Bloomberg screens?. In fact quiet days can be the worst, as there can be manipulation near the expiry.

But defo, the Dow is an enormous factor in the pm, and makes it hard to get the edge on binary trades as it is more volatile and doesn't follow the same technical patterns of the European markets.

That should be easy to get around.

apples10 said:
hi Steve,

Unfortunately our firewall stops the ig/binary tradescreen from working, so I'm stuck with using Binexx, which is why I only deal as a hobby! Keep thinking about getting a vodafone 3g card for a laptop to trade IG, I should do it really!

apples10 said:
Sorry, but don't agree with you - and now is a prime example. So they have the wrong vol in their model (they have actually gone down to 5%, wheras the realised 30-minute annualised is at 10%) - so they are bidding 85 on the 13:30 hourly, when it should be 81 - so you sell, but hey, the market stays up and settles at 100 (which it will!!)- you lose,so what if you sold an expensive wrong price!!

It would be hard to do a study on quiet days and 'noise' over figures as every day is different and things like weather,sport, are all factors that enter the mix - for instance was this mornings fall overdone as most traders were watching the cricket score on their Bloomberg screens?. In fact quiet days can be the worst, as there can be manipulation near the expiry.

But defo, the Dow is an enormous factor in the pm, and makes it hard to get the edge on binary trades as it is more volatile and doesn't follow the same technical patterns of the European markets.

Apples…

But surely in your example you are ignoring the probability factor on which the example is based. If you say that it should be 81 (lets ignore the spread at this point for simplicity) then you are saying that in 81 cases out of 100 the market will settle at 100 given all the information which is available at the current moment in time. The company however were effectively suggesting that they felt that in 84 cases out of 100 the market would settle at 100. Only one of you can be correct. If you system has the edge and you are right then it equates to the following…..

You place 100 trades over a period of time…(lets say for £20 per point)…

So you lose 81 of the trades as your system predicts…

81 x 16 x £20 = £30,780 in total losses over the course of 100 bets. (The 16 comes from the fact that the company has its market at 84 hence you can only lose 16)

However, your winners will be as follows….

19 x 84 x £20 = £31,920.

Net profit from your edge is therefore £1,140 over the course of 100 bets.

I feel that my point is therefore valid. If every time you see an ‘over valuation’ you sell it and every time you see an ‘under valuation’ you buy it then you will, over a long period of time, make money as you will slowly be extracting ‘value’ from the markets. In your example the difference is 3 times out of 100 (the difference between 81 and 84). This means that in the example give, if your model is correct, you will win 3 time per 100 more than the company are predicting in their ‘valuation’ of their instrument.

As for the ‘quiet’ and ‘noise’ times. I am certainly looking to develop some strategies to take advantage of potential anomalies which occur in pricing around certain times. You must always believe that you are cleverer than the market maker. He has many prices to make whilst you can focus you efforts on just one. Obviously from your comments I can see that you have a very keen interest in the hourly bets – I can see the potential that you’ve pointed out in those. Personally I’ve always been drawn to the daily bets as I feel that they are harder for the companies to price and also more likely to priced by a non flexible pricing model. For example, imagine its 4.35pm (GMT) on an evening of a Fed announcement – how do the company price that potential volatility into their model for the daily FTSE’s. If we place bets at that moment in time can we detect potential value in opening certain bets, for example…are the odds of FTSE being +30 or -30 higher or lower for the next day if tonight has an FOMC announcement?

Got to nip out now. Will be back later with a few more ideas. Hope none of the companies are reading all this!

Steve.

yes can see your point, but of course the spreads quoted take nearly all of the the advantage anyway.

better just to play with instinct, knowing how their model is working (for instance they have increased the implied vol through today), and choose the trades given all the info (especially important to know where the FTSE cash is trading in relation to the FTSE Future and its fair value).

just wish that ig/binary worked over our firwall, as the markets available on Binexx are limited and they are in no rush to introduce new ones.

Apples see my reply above

apples10 said:
just wish that ig/binary worked over our firwall, as the markets available on Binexx are limited and they are in no rush to introduce new ones.

Okay, I presume you have Broadband and a machine at home. Just allow the terminal server port through your firewall (at home) and enable Remote Desktop in My Computer/Properties /Remote. Then initiate a remote Desktop connection from work (Programs/Acc.../Comms/remote...

jules101 said:
yeah it was a very helpful post by you :p

Bintrader said:
Okay, I presume you have Broadband and a machine at home. Just allow the terminal server port through your firewall (at home) and enable Remote Desktop in My Computer/Properties /Remote. Then initiate a remote Desktop connection from work (Programs/Acc.../Comms/remote...

hi Bintrader. That sounds easy .. . . .but not being fully IT literate can you tell me how i gain the remote access from the office? I guess i need the ip address (where do i find this?) rgds.

try and answer tonight and I'll do the work at home tonight and try tomorrow. many thanks.

Apples..

I agree, the costs of trading (effectively 2 points on each trade) negate the benefit of the edge. This was my question earlier this morning….Is you edge sufficient to return a net profit over a series of trades.

I’m looking for a far bigger edge than the 3 or 4 points which we’ve been discussing. Call me greedy but I’m looking for 20 or 30 plus! The calculations on that FTSE bet I outlined earlier on must be up above 30 I would have thought. That’s the kind I’m interested in. That way dealing costs and money management, not to mention basic psychology, become far easier. The problem is that those bigger wins will always draw attention from the bookies. Because of that you really need more than just one or two strategies otherwise they can easily work out the system you are playing. The more you vary your game plan the harder it is for them to figure out the individual strategies. One of the larger spreadbetting firms told me that they rely on certain punters to spot potential problems in their system.

I’d love to get my hands on the algorithms which these companies are using. I’ve compared a few prices and generally they seem very much in line. That suggests to me that they are more than likely to be using purely mathematical method to calculate their prices as apposed to a differing price matrix system dependant on what type of day it is.

Steve.

stevespray said:
Apples..

I’d love to get my hands on the algorithms which these companies are using. I’ve compared a few prices and generally they seem very much in line. That suggests to me that they are more than likely to be using purely mathematical method to calculate their prices as apposed to a differing price matrix system dependant on what type of day it is.

Steve.

They use the same model through the day, just shift the implied volatility as they see the market progressing. The IG logarithm seems more sophisticated that the binexx one in that you get small shifts in price on the FTSE even when there is no move on the FTSE Future and when there is still a long time to expiry (thus its not time decay). I think they link in Dow,Dax,Cac prices into it.

when binary get unsure on their prices (like today on the <-12.5pts at 16:26) they just show no prices!! No algorithm needed for that !! :eek: :eek:

rgds

Hi Sorry, yes you need the ip of your home machine. You can find this using a dos box and typing ipconfig. Properties on the network connection also does it in XP I believe.

apples10 said:
hi Bintrader. That sounds easy .. . . .but not being fully IT literate can you tell me how i gain the remote access from the office? I guess i need the ip address (where do i find this?) rgds.

try and answer tonight and I'll do the work at home tonight and try tomorrow. many thanks.

Bintrader said:
Hi Sorry, yes you need the ip of your home machine. You can find this using a dos box and typing ipconfig. Properties on the network connection also does it in XP I believe.

thought so, what do I do in the office to get the remote access? I'm guessing I'll need admin rights on my pc, which I don't have, but await details . . . . . .
oh, by the way, I'm on XP at home - your instructions y'day didn't tally with what happened . . . .

rgds

jules101 said:
I've been watching the FTSE and DJIA hourlies on Binexx.com for a couple of days now, and there are hardly any trades whatsoever, are there any other betting exchanges which do binary betting?

Just to go back to the original post for a second . .. .. ..

I dealt on the hourly expiring at 12:30 at 12:04, that was the last trade on the product . . .. . .

You can do hourlies on IG/Binary (settle to cash) and I think on Finspreads now as well.

rgds

Apples

You should have access to the remote desktop or terminal server client from any user. If not download it from MS. Did you not find the option to enable Remote Desktop in the My Computer Properties on your home machine/

apples10 said:
Just to go back to the original post for a second . .. .. ..

I dealt on the hourly expiring at 12:30 at 12:04, that was the last trade on the product . . .. . .

You can do hourlies on IG/Binary (settle to cash) and I think on Finspreads now as well.

rgds