Value For Money? Arcades?

Halo

Morning.
I've been at one of the London Futures shops for a while now... I'm not particularly unhappy with the set-up, location or facilities but at the same time I don't think that any of those things are 'top of the range'. I'm an intraday position trader in Indices/Bonds and relatively small in volume terms.

Now, to the point. London Arcades seem to be around £2000/month (at least this is what I pay)This gives me 2xTT terminals and view only News with a single Charting screen. There's also the office squawk and Tech sheets etc. The connectivity/service is good but for my style the whole thing is perhaps overkill - I can see why the big scalpers/spreaders need it but I'm a minnow and the odd tenth of a second doesn't matter to me.

Are there any shops out there offering a more flexible 'pick and mix' package where the prices come down? As I'm not high volume I'm not so sensitive to r/turns aslong as they are in the ballpark. I know the Traderpedia has a list of Arcades but am more interested in other peoples experience of smaller arcades that may not be on the radar...

Cheers boys and girls

the Trading Arcade Index is compiled in part, from the list of registered TT partners. I'd imagine that almost all the futures shops worth trading with use TT, so I dont think you will hear of many small shops that are "off the radar" unless they are so small that they dont use TT and instead use something else.

So the index is probably a good place as any to start, if its just a low desk fee you're after trawling for.

Marex had pick n mix desk fee... base desk was £750 and then you add what else you want, Reuters £200, Bloomberg £250, internet PC & streaming TV £100, phone £30, TT, Screens, etc, add as required. fee's were extremely competitive too.

Last I heard though, Marex were full up and had a waiting list to join.

not quite half... its the bit of the floor where the grads were sitting has been commandeered for Marathon Asset side of the business. About a third reduction in floorspace - busy in the rest of the floor now though

Halo said:
Morning.
Are there any shops out there offering a more flexible 'pick and mix' package where the prices come down? As I'm not high volume I'm not so sensitive to r/turns aslong as they are in the ballpark. I know the Traderpedia has a list of Arcades but am more interested in other peoples experience of smaller arcades that may not be on the radar...

Cheers boys and girls

I thought most Arcades work on a Pick and Mix, most of the guys here pay less than £ 2K but they certainly only pay for what they want/use. Its a surprise that there are arcades that dont.

EurexTechy - I'd rather not say where I am at the mo' as the people there are fine but for me personally my trading style would allow me a different and likely cheaper set-up... I don't want to give the impression where I am is at fault - everyone's got to make a livin'

Arb - Ta' for the figures. I'll get round to the Index over the next few days.... I like TT but am not tied to it Pats or one of the others is fine. On your (Marex) figures I'd likely be hammering down my costs depending on TT costs.

Parky - Thanks for the comments. For clarification the set up includes Internet PC, TT (4 Exchanges), View Only News and a CQG (single screen).

I've been thinking more In terms of what I actually 'need'. Trading Access to LIFFE/Eurex (any vendor). Internet PC. Charting Package with Mkt Profile (I heard e-signal offer this a fair bit cheaper than CQG). Thanks for all your comments! I'll start the arcade trawling this week....

There is nothing special about trading arcades.

You can have the same setup at home with similiar margins.

Regards

Baldur

Last edited by a moderator:
off topic but over a year ago now got a pm from someone moving to my area and asking if there were any arcades around, I said sure there is Sega World in town centre. Only recently realised what he meant :LOL:

off topic but over a year ago now got a pm from someone moving to my area and asking if there were any arcades around, I said sure there is Sega World in town centre. Only recently realised what he meant :LOL:

haha, that is funny :LOL:

The one on westover road?? Is that still there??

cryten that made me laugh so loud! im only new to this game to and can see that mistake happening more! lol

can't believe anyone would want to join any of these outfits.

Why?

I could never trade from home, would get so bored.

So quite happy to rent a desk, have IT people on hand who are far better at techy stuff than me, and sit with other traders.

Exactly JP1966, its horses for courses, not everyone can trade from home in isolation, sat alone the temptation is to overtrade. Some of our guys have the best of both worlds, they can trade from home when the markets are quite or there are no figures and trade from the office when it is busier. We have traders trading from all over the south east, from Spain, Italy and one from Florida. Some have set up their own little local offices to negate the commute but still be able to "go to work".
Like any job, it is what you want to make of it