URGENT: If you had £1mn, where would you invest?

beatallica

I have an extremley important interview in the next few hours, would appreciate if anyone can give me some ideas here.

Thanks so much!

Not nearly enough information.

What's the objective? What's the investment time horizon? What's the risk tolerance of the investor? What about the tax situation of the accout in question?

If this is an interview, ask the questions and show that you can approach the problem systematically, not just start throwing out investment ideas based on a random assumption.

Lets say, short term (1 year) horizon? I am sure they'll be happy with names of a few stocks which are expected to do well, given the current market.

Buy DB mean reversion commodity index. Made 45% in 2007 vs. GSCI 24% pretty good idea if you ask me.

Lets say, short term (1 year) horizon? I am sure they'll be happy with names of a few stocks which are expected to do well, given the current market.

GOLD, CORN, GOLD, WHEAT, GOLD, OIL, GOLD, GOLD, GOLD,GOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLD,GOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLD,GOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLD,GOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLD,GOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLD,GOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLDGOLD, GOLD, GOLD

Do you get my drift ?

I have an extremley important interview in the next few hours, would appreciate if anyone can give me some ideas here.

Thanks so much!

ARSENAL

At the moment, I would invest in Arsenal football club... Invincible and when they achieve the quadrouple they'll be worth double in six months time...

In a high interest bank account. I can live a life of luxury on £50k interest returns per year, without ever needing to touch the £1 million.

I can live a life of luxury on £50k interest returns per year

:eek: we obviously have different ideas of 'luxury'! :cheesy:

you're a young guy, yes?! So what's that £50k (or £1m) going to buy you in 20 years time...?

...and seriously: a guy on a trading website saying that if he had £1m he'd quit and stick it in the bank...! Shame on you !!

Me, I'd take it round the buy-side saying, hey I've come up with a million, now give me yours to run...

In a high interest bank account. I can live a life of luxury on £50k interest returns per year, without ever needing to touch the £1 million.
Err... where exactly in the UK will you live in luxury? Moss Side? Additionally, have you taken inflation into account? In 10 years time that £50k will be looking rather measly... :(

Thanks so much!

Surely they are not going to ask in an interview where you would invest £1million. That would be a pretty uesless quation, I reckon.

Having said that, if someone added 1million to my net worth, I would not do a single thing differently. I would count it as part of my trading capital, and continue to day trade forex. It is by far the best and safest investment for me.

The Xmas edition of Fortune is always worth a read.They have had a great run over the last few years. They have a list of US and Eupopean shares and lots of motivation which
should keep the fellow asking the interview questions happy.
At least your opinions will be in good company.

Thanks so much!

So what was your answer?

Not having had much time lately to visit T2W, but I would've suggested you answered something totally different instead of the suggestions been giving.

I think these kind of questions have little to do with your knowledge of stocks or bonds, but more with the ability to think out of the box and provide a surprising answer.

If you haven't already, you might be interested in reading this book:
How Would You Move Mount Fuji

So what was your answer?

I would've suggested you answered something totally different instead of the suggestions been giving.

I think these kind of questions have little to do with your knowledge of stocks or bonds, but more with the ability to think out of the box and provide a surprising answer.

I'm now curious to know what your answer would be if not the ones below... :rolleyes:

I hope you are not a stamp collector...:cheesy::clap::cheesy:

I'm now curious to know what your answer would be if not the ones below... :rolleyes:

I hope you are not a stamp collector...:cheesy::clap::cheesy:

no stamps :LOL:

After giving it some thought I'd say I would invest it in my personal "development" :smart:

But as this question resides in the US Shares subforum, I guess that's not what the interviewer will be wanting to hear :p

On the other hand - when I was still an employee - my best job interviews were those where I gave the least predictable answer :whistling

no stamps :LOL:

After giving it some thought I'd say I would invest it in my personal "development" :smart:

But as this question resides in the US Shares subforum, I guess that's not what the interviewer will be wanting to hear :p

On the other hand - when I was still an employee - my best job interviews were those where I gave the least predictable answer :whistling

You are right in that the question is searching for the diversity and genuine interest and enthusiasm of the reply given.

Basically, to recognise there is life outside of stocks and shares like antiques, good wine, stamps or paintings. How about vintage sports cars? If one did state the obvious and pick stock, bonds or FX they'd want to hear sound justification for the investment.

Essentially the class of the candidate and how well read he is. As you say diversity is a key ingredient.