Uk shares for a living

the terp (theoretical ex-rights price) is 348 so they are not off much

guys what is the best website or software for uk shares screening ( top gainers , ... , unusual volume , most volitale ... etc )

websites: advfn.com or moneyam.com, free access to limited delayed info.

software: sharescope

Reactions: tar
Hi all again,

I'm still struggling with this selling short thing. Does anyone know a broker that will do it or do i need to look into the Spread Bet / CFD route? I think it is all much of a muchness if i control my stops effectively. Although it does bring another player into the chain that could cause me not to get the price i wanted.

How do you guys do the short selling thing? I'm guessing via Spread betting? Correct?

My charts are throwing up all sorts of sell signals lately which doesn't help me increase the funds in my ISA now does it!

thanks to all who reply

Coopster

Hi all again,

I'm still struggling with this selling short thing. Does anyone know a broker that will do it or do i need to look into the Spread Bet / CFD route? I think it is all much of a muchness if i control my stops effectively. Although it does bring another player into the chain that could cause me not to get the price i wanted.

How do you guys do the short selling thing? I'm guessing via Spread betting? Correct?

My charts are throwing up all sorts of sell signals lately which doesn't help me increase the funds in my ISA now does it!

thanks to all who reply

Coopster
I don't think tou will get many brokers who will let you go short. For them it is the same comm. as going long and the extra monitoring/compliance/capital adequacy is just not worth the hassle. A lot of brokers clear through Pershing and I know they don't like it/allow it.
Easiest way is through CFD (even through the broker who won't touch it in the ordinary way!) or SB. SB might be better because you can put on a guaranteed stop loss. Other ways are options ( a lot of brokers will not let you write options) or short covered warrants (see SG warrants)

Hi Everyone, please forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question that has already been answered elsewhere.

How do you guys find the shares you are going to trade? I scan the FTSE 350 looking for chart patterns - continuation patterns such as consolidations, triangles and flags, so that I can trade with the trend but take advantage of pull backs and pauses. BUT even after cutting the 350 down to only those with average daily volume over 500k, which leaves about 225 shares, I still find this too boring and time consuming to do every day - after about the first 50 my mind wanders and I lose concentration, especially with so few shares actually trending at the moment. Do I just need to stick at it until I get used to the task, or is there a better way of identifying shares exhibiting tradeable patterns?

Consider relative strength between stocks, do not overlook the power of this analysis. You should focus on technicals for entry and exit. It appears that you are wasting a lot of precious time.

Consider relative strength between stocks, do not overlook the power of this analysis. You should focus on technicals for entry and exit. It appears that you are wasting a lot of precious time.

Hi williadb, thanks for your reply. I agree with you about wasting precious time, but I don't understand your comment about relative strength between stocks, would you explain please, and what technicals would you use for entry and exit? I use ShareScope so I think I should be able to data mine for these.

very good query.
thats alot of work to do everyday.
I think people just look at gainers lists everday, and look at whats moving
the most that day. then they choose certain stocks which they decide to follow,
regardless of patterns or chart characteristics. this is what you should also do, pick
specific stocks and stick with them.
Or pick a market or sector or industry and focus on that maybe.

williadb = relative strength index? or relative strength?

Brogden - relative strength will indicate which stocks are professionally being bought and sold. On the event of a major market swing you will want to know which of these stocks to enter. Fundamentals are important, however personally knowing the insides of each company is impossible. Let someone else do that work for you. I am interested in how you trade.

very good query.
thats alot of work to do everyday.
I think people just look at gainers lists everday, and look at whats moving
the most that day. then they choose certain stocks which they decide to follow,
regardless of patterns or chart characteristics. this is what you should also do, pick
specific stocks and stick with them.
Or pick a market or sector or industry and focus on that maybe.

williadb = relative strength index? or relative strength?

Hey Jonboy, i am willing to discuss this further. Nope not relative strength index. Relative strength. For example on 01 July i could have sold sold Forest Oil or Oge Energy. Which one would have produced the greatest profit and why?

you mean short sell? or you were holding already and then SOLD?

forest oil = berlin or usa?
i dont know dude. ...

you mean short sell? or you were holding already and then SOLD?

forest oil = berlin or usa?
i dont know dude. ...

Short sell on CFDs. Forest Oil and Oge Energy are US stocks. Both of these stocks from 1 june - 12 june showed different characteristics. Oge went sideways and Forest Oil collpased. Im expecting another market turn around 10 - 15 July on heavy volume. Again, i look at relative strength between the two, showing Oge energy has the strongest price action of the two stocks, therefore on a turn in teh market i would buy this stock. What i do is scan stocks between certain dates for their relative strength. FOr a long position i choose stocks that have decreased less than the others and for a short position vice versa. FYI i actually short sold BHP on 01 June at 36.39 on the ASX, not because of relative strength just because its a stock i trade all teh time and i understand the way it moves.

i cant see those american stocks and their relative strength.
But i have seen "relative strength comparison" on my charts.
It draws lines on the same chart comparing stocks. this is really interesting. thankyou.
"Oge went sideways and Forest Oil collpased"...you mean the share price, or the relative strength?

how do you tell if one stock has a stronger price action compared to another?

good info, thankyou.

i cant see those american stocks and their relative strength.
But i have seen "relative strength comparison" on my charts.
It draws lines on the same chart comparing stocks. this is really interesting. thankyou.
"Oge went sideways and Forest Oil collpased"...you mean the share price, or the relative strength?

how do you tell if one stock has a stronger price action compared to another?

good info, thankyou.

Jon this probably best describes what i am talking about.

how do you tell if one stock has a stronger price action compared to another? - Simple work out %change in price between 2 dates for each stock then compare them. The stock that increased most/decreased least is the strongest stock.

Attachments

• Oge.jpg
    Oge.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 243
Jon this probably best describes what i am talking about.

how do you tell if one stock has a stronger price action compared to another? - Simple work out %change in price between 2 dates for each stock then compare them. The stock that increased most/decreased least is the strongest stock.

Price and volume, most under utilised indicators there are. Falling volume from 5 to 12 June also confirmed stock weakness.