Two way bands

rnicoll

Established member
Continuing the theme of letting you guys have random stuff I come up with, here's an early draft of a strategy designed for non-trending and trending markets. Yes, both, really. Tested with a bucket of currencies on minute bands since start of this year, and seems to work fairly well, given I wrote it in about an hour.

It was going to be Horace and the Spiders, but I figured the lines are a bit too regular for a spider. And you'd need to count price as a line to make it 8. So it's just two-way bands.

As always, the theory may not match what I've coded, but it's meant to try a trend reversal on the inner Bollinger band. If it hits the outer band, it flips the trade around, and closes on an even further out band. NinjaTrader script attached.

Attachments

• TwoWayBands.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 447
Continuing the theme of letting you guys have random stuff I come up with, here's an early draft of a strategy designed for non-trending and trending markets. Yes, both, really. Tested with a bucket of currencies on minute bands since start of this year, and seems to work fairly well, given I wrote it in about an hour.

It was going to be Horace and the Spiders, but I figured the lines are a bit too regular for a spider. And you'd need to count price as a line to make it 8. So it's just two-way bands.

As always, the theory may not match what I've coded, but it's meant to try a trend reversal on the inner Bollinger band. If it hits the outer band, it flips the trade around, and closes on an even further out band. NinjaTrader script attached.

Hi rnicoll,

Is there any chance of an english explanation, as I don't use NinjaTrader....?

Thanks....

Two sets of Bollinger Bands, one at about 2 standard deviations out, one at about 3 (going from memory). If it hits the inner band, it takes a guess that the market is non-trending, and trades against the market. If it then hits the outer band, it reverses the trade, on the assumption the market is trending. Close trade when price hits SMA.

This isn't a strategy I ever really tried making work with real trades, so not sure how well it works outside of historical testing. Do tell me if you have any luck with it though :-D

Two sets of Bollinger Bands, one at about 2 standard deviations out, one at about 3 (going from memory). If it hits the inner band, it takes a guess that the market is non-trending, and trades against the market. If it then hits the outer band, it reverses the trade, on the assumption the market is trending. Close trade when price hits SMA.

This isn't a strategy I ever really tried making work with real trades, so not sure how well it works outside of historical testing. Do tell me if you have any luck with it though :-D

Hi RNicoll,

Thanks for the explanation....