• Love it

Votes: 121 61.1%
  • Hate it

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • Not too bothered either way really

Votes: 61 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lol Steve - (my first post so hi) - if the old guy gets a trade in his favour it will be a bloody miracle. If he does he will be so excited he probably lose the brokers number. Time he has worked out whether to buy/sell the price will have moved anyway. oh well back to fighting with usd/chf.

Trading is not a zero sum game.
If it was just as simple as that the market would grind to a halt very soon.
Pension fund managers do not sit there waiting for for mugs so they can rob them.
When you invest in shares or bonds you are not robbing someone.You invest money which hopefully grows.
When you trade currencies you might be buying the currency of a country in order to invest in that economy through buying shares or bonds or you might simply be buying that currency because you want to move there.
Large companies might be hedging at a price to ensure the price they pay for raw materials etc are contained.
Anyone who thinks trading is a zero sum game should has a very limited knowledge of the market.

Hi gamma

When you invest in a company, you will often share in the profits through a dividend. When you buy a bond/gilt, you will receive a percentage of the amount of the bond you purchased bianually. So, what you said is true.

However, just to clarify, if you look only at capital gain through price change (i.e. ignore dividends, interest payments, etc), then any gains made will be made at the expense of the party(ies) that traded the opposite side to you. So on a purely transactional basis, trading is a zero sum game (actually, it's negative sum with respect to the leeching from broker comissions, exchange fees, etc). It just depends on what factors you include or remove from the arguement.

Just noticed on the BBC-2 schedule tonight.
9-00pm: The City Uncovered: Banks and How to Break Them.
1 hour program. looks like a series.

The current spate of finance/city/trading programs reminds me of the "smoke detector" syndrome; the ability of people to put off getting something vital to their survival (in finance case, an understanding of the way the markets work), until their house burns down. (when they no longer have any money to invest/trade)

As Gamma says - trading is not a zero sum game until such time as the fat lady sings and the market ceases and there is a final accounting.

In the interim it's all about money flow. If there's a net inflow of funds prices rise and vice versa.

good trading

jon

Hi gamma

When you invest in a company, you will often share in the profits through a dividend. When you buy a bond/gilt, you will receive a percentage of the amount of the bond you purchased bianually. So, what you said is true.

However, just to clarify, if you look only at capital gain through price change (i.e. ignore dividends, interest payments, etc), then any gains made will be made at the expense of the party(ies) that traded the opposite side to you. So on a purely transactional basis, trading is a zero sum game (actually, it's negative sum with respect to the leeching from broker comissions, exchange fees, etc). It just depends on what factors you include or remove from the arguement.

Yes I agree with you I was just too lazy to compartmentalize the different aspects and facets of trading thanks for adding the full explanation that this subject deserves

i bet only one of them, if that, proves to be net profitable by the end of the series.

the 'fund' so to speak will be down, and there goes their 'bonuses'.

2 WEEKS!!! training....give me a break, then they go on and say that noone can teach you how to trade, you have to find your own way, what works for you etc.....

its all B******s, they dont have a chance.

i bet only one of them, if that, proves to be net profitable by the end of the series.

the 'fund' so to speak will be down, and there goes their 'bonuses'.

2 WEEKS!!! training....give me a break, then they go on and say that noone can teach you how to trade, you have to find your own way, what works for you etc.....

its all B******s, they dont have a chance.

Come to think of it, if the people on the other end of the phones were reversing the trades, and as you mention 'only one' coming through at the end of the series, it makes sense to have a fairly large group like that since the successful ones would never be able to carry the losing traders. Everyone knows that losing cash is far easier than winning it!

Steve.

This programme is a MUST SEE for all day traders.

I had the biggest laugh ever, watching these novices try and guess the market during the last big fall.

Everyone it is on Monadys BBC 2 at 9pm.

Who in their right fukcing mind employs an "expert coach" to sit in an office next to a group of wannabe traders who's job it is to criticise for the cameras AFTER they have already placed the trades. If this was conducted along the lines of the Turtles with a proactive coach then there could be a reasonable chance they might succeed but that does not make good viewing, has anybody here ever made an exciting video of themselves whilst waiting for a trade? This is purely an execise in humiliation for the participants intended to swell the ego of Lex Luther or whatever his name is and his moronic sidekick. If this guy is muppet enough to put up his own money then please publicise what hedge funds he is managing so we will know what planet to steer clear of.

I had the biggest laugh ever, watching these novices try and guess the market during the last big fall.

Everyone has to start somewhere. If trading was that easy everyone would be doing it and traders would be making so much cash the credit crunch would be wiped out.

I'm very surprised that they weren't given a more systemetic method of selecting and executing trades. In my view it reflects badly on the managers rather than the traders themselves.

Sell an Idea to TV companies

Everyone has to start somewhere. If trading was that easy everyone would be doing it and traders would be making so much cash the credit crunch would be wiped out.

I'm very surprised that they weren't given a more systemetic method of selecting and executing trades. In my view it reflects badly on the managers rather than the traders themselves.

Lets nominate TD to set up and train a team of traders funded by the TV company - would be more interesting:)

where was it filmed? It all seems very close to where i work. But i can't pinpoint exactly where.

The only good thing that has come of this is that my mates are more impressed that I actually make money from trading.

Did any of them on there have any kindof strategy/setups?

he's full of **** mr moral..invested in banks already..cause there so moral..and he said he wanted the unemployment figures to be bad..hows that moral aswell

If I'd wanted to watch a bunch of ar$eholes stick their fingers in the air and guess up or down after every Sky News on the Hour I'd have been happy with it, as it stands the only excitement in this show is whether Simon or Chloe will take a nosedive out the window in between eating bowls of cereal and crying.

the entrepeneur wom,an with kids and the massive house

whats her story ? - she must have taken some big shot to the cleaners in a divorce ?

the ladies do like a house . . .esp. if its yours

where was it filmed? It all seems very close to where i work. But i can't pinpoint exactly where.

Looks like Natwest tower by Liverpool St Station / Bishops Gate.

I really don't think this program is for traders. More like no hopers. On average you'd expect half to make money and half to lose money even if they were dumb and blind.

That Simon guy was a real loser. Big headed too. Waste of space. I liked the way he was clapped out. :cheesy: "Trading is not for everybody". Almost sounds like a health warning on a packet of cigarettes. :cheesy: