• Love it

Votes: 121 61.1%
  • Hate it

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • Not too bothered either way really

Votes: 61 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Think that the old guy (Simon think his name is) will be the first to be ejected...he hasn't got a clue (even less of a clue than the others), and he's way too slow in his manner. He weren't even at his desk for market open.

Reckon the boxer will do the best.

Enjoyed watching it though, looking forward to Lex laying into them next week !

Looks like they'll all be pairs trading by the end of the series, given the heavy hints dropped ("only muppets do naked punts").

The old fella is a complete muppet, it's a good thing they're not leveraged or trading any decent size or he'd have done his **** on day one... getting stopped out while he was scoffing Alpen as the markets opened against his overnight position, good way to impress the boss. He phones the broker to confirm his cockup, then goes back to eating his cereal!

Possibly the most galling aspect of this farce is that the candidates were schooled for only two weeks then given £25K to trade the news with.

What impression of the financial industry does this give Joe public? Pretty damning to an already negative press.

Knowing the way TV producers work, I suspect this was not what Mr.Van Dam originally intended. In the name of entertainment he was probably encouraged to adopt the above scenario. Would he run his own business in this way?

OR they are not trading real money?

OR they are all out of work actors involved in a crazy parody.

Perhaps we could invite Mr. Van Dam over to T2W to answer some of the questions?

Possibly the most galling aspect of this farce is that the candidates were schooled for only two weeks then given £25K to trade the news with.

What impression of the financial industry does this give Joe public? Pretty damning to an already negative press.

Knowing the way TV producers work, I suspect this was not what Mr.Van Dam originally intended. In the name of entertainment he was probably encouraged to adopt the above scenario. Would he run his own business in this way?

OR they are not trading real money?

OR they are all out of work actors involved in a crazy parody.

Perhaps we could invite Mr. Van Dam over to T2W to answer some of the questions?

The boxing guy is actually a Cage Fighting promoter! :devilish:

The army dude used a phone broker to execute a pairs trade. What a muppet!

3/10 Disappointing first episode.
I was hoping and expecting a good chunk of the programme to focus on training. There was hardly any. The approach of all 8 traders is the same across the board - to trade the news. How many of us here have advised newbies not to do this but, rather, to trade the reaction to the news as opposed to the news itself. I was very surprised at that. As others have commented, there was no clearly defined strategy (unlike the Turtles) and, as the participants themselves said - they were taking wild gambles. The young woman who broke down in tears would, I suspect, be fine if she had a clearly defined strategy that she understood and had confidence in. Her failure (thus far) and that of the other traders, reflects what I suspect is very poor training. Mr. Van Dam only has himself to blame - along with his side kick. Shame too that we're not given a running tally of each trader's P/L - as well as that of the group as a whole.
Tim.

3/10 Disappointing first episode.
I was hoping and expecting a good chunk of the programme to focus on training. There was hardly any. The approach of all 8 traders is the same across the board - to trade the news. How many of us here have advised newbies not to do this but, rather, to trade the reaction to the news as opposed to the news itself. I was very surprised at that. As others have commented, there was no clearly defined strategy (unlike the Turtles) and, as the participants themselves said - they were taking wild gambles. The young woman who broke down in tears would, I suspect, be fine if she had a clearly defined strategy that she understood and had confidence in. Her failure (thus far) and that of the other traders, reflects what I suspect is very poor training. Mr. Van Dam only has himself to blame - along with his side kick. Shame too that we're not given a running tally of each trader's P/L - as well as that of the group as a whole.
Tim.

Hi Tim,
As I mentioned in another post, albiet rather cynically, I don't think it would make for easily understandable, dumbed-down TV, if they were to spend all their time poring over charts. The average viewer probably understands the concept of trading on news rather than what charts are saying.

I think I saw an advert on this forum with the picture of wind turbines on it which highlights this....
All the best
KJ

overall, first episode a scene-setter.
would have been good to know what they were taught in the 2 weeks, to provide context of their trades, and whether their trades truly reflected their training, or whether they are ignoring their training.
really surprised they have such a full screen; in real life, wouldnt they focus on a handful of companies they gain familiarity with?

I wonder how those hoping to go on GS or DW 2-day weekend courses are feeling, knowing that "better trained" candidates with 2 weeks training still struggle?! even with support and being in company of fellow traders. (and with starting pot of £25K).

I reckon the upshot is the economics student is going to get analysis-paralysis. the old-duffer gets thrown out the window. (he doesnt die from hitting the pavement below, but by a fractured skull after being hit by a cereal bowl that is thrown after him.) the women will do well enough to make a living, but not from the trading office. the ethical guy slowly turns cynical and makes the most money.the soldier plods on and does fairly well. the fight-promoter get macho and blows his account. (actually, maybe that could happen to soldier-man).

cue series 2. cheap TV, unpaid members of public performing for the masses.
(still want to know what they were taught)

the old-duffer gets thrown out the window. (he doesnt die from hitting the pavement below, but by a fractured skull after being hit by a cereal bowl that is thrown after him.)

That's decided it! Going to have to watch the rest.

I guess it was O.K., but i don't think there's going to be much interesting for traders really, just like the apprentice isn't about business skills. It's just for entertainment and there isn't going to be much solid fact. I think the hedging is about as in depth as they'll get, but I may be wrong.

I reckon the upshot is the economics student is going to get analysis-paralysis. the old-duffer gets thrown out the window. (he doesnt die from hitting the pavement below, but by a fractured skull after being hit by a cereal bowl that is thrown after him.) the women will do well enough to make a living, but not from the trading office. the ethical guy slowly turns cynical and makes the most money.the soldier plods on and does fairly well. the fight-promoter get macho and blows his account. (actually, maybe that could happen to soldier-man).

OR maybe

They lose everything..

THEN

.. enter Lex's brother, Jean-Claude Van Damme with flame thrower, hand grenades and sub machine gun and torches the lot of them.

Very interesting show i believe...although my only reservations is if it reaches the everyday masses i hope everyone doesnt think 'i can do that' and put all there money from a news headline..

I agree that it would have been good for us to show the training that was involved but once again they most likely thought it would 'bore' the general non-trading public.

Who is the Lexs supervisor called btw?

Very interesting show i believe...although my only reservations is if it reaches the everyday masses i hope everyone doesnt think 'i can do that' and put all there money from a news headline..

Does it make me a bad person if I hope that they do? Got to take advantage of the dead money..

The army dude used a phone broker to execute a pairs trade. What a muppet!

How else did you expect him to do it when they were clearly executing through brokers rather than electronically themselves?

And you can see why the TV people would want this to use 'phone execution to brokers - you get people screwing it under pressure and its more interesting (arguably) than some guy peering at a screen then clicking his mouse.

I thought that long HBOS/ short Allianz was a decent trade - the obvious place to be was short which was where most would have positioned themselves. If that HBOS rights issue had gone even slightly well then he was hoping for a short squeeze and he'd have been having it off. Instead you got the worst rights issue in history and he did his conkers rofl - but only a little bit. THAT is trading.........(y) I thought it made good TV!

Last edited:
brokers and sbs must be rubbing their hands if it drives a new wave of get rich quickers their way . The rationale being nearly everyone blows at least one account? So a good churn of newbie account blowers is where the money is? A broker/Sb should sponsor such a show. they'll easily get the money back.

anyone remember how show me the money tv show used to move markets and so had to be closed down?