Trump Presidency and the Consequences

The following was posted in the Brexit thread but applies equally to this one:

Justin Trudeau (via Attila):

“It’s time to pay a living wage, to pay your taxes, and give your workers the benefits –- and peace of mind –-- that come with stable, full-time contracts,” Trudeau said, according to prepared remarks. “I fully appreciate the irony of preaching about the struggles of the middle class to a sea of tuxedos and ball gowns, while wearing a bow-tie myself. But this discussion needs to happen.”

The pace of globalization and technological change are driving anxiety, in particular among those fearful their children will be worse off than they were, he said. That belief is fed by “record profits on the back of workers” who toil without full-time pay or benefits. “We’re watching that anxiety transform into anger on an almost daily basis.”

With regard to the above, the following may also be of interest, from Fred Harris:

“There is plenty of money to do what needs to be done in this country, if we take the rich off welfare.”

So, Justin Trudeau and Fred Harris. Anybody else?

Agree strongly.

In the UK if people had sufficient affordable homes, hospital beds or nursing homes where the elderly could be looked after and basic investment in rail infrastructure as well as regional aid to help industries locate up North I doubt Brexit would have been voted for.

Instead we've had politicians tell the people it's not your fault but the Europeans who are flooding into our country and abusine the resources that should be really for the British people who pay taxes.

Effectively, the politicians instead of doing the right thing addressing real issues of the people have pointed the finger at migrant workers (330K) per year doing the work British people do not wish to/choose to do as being responsible for over crowding trains and NHS hospital beds.

Contrary to several reports migrants benefit the economy they are the root cause.

Indeed the situ with US much the same but I think US in a marginally deeper hole than the UK.

Infrastructure spending is the correct way forward but that should be met by taxing the big corporations who benefit from it all and it is about time they paid their dues.

Otherwise, people have no right to complain about government as they should simply train to do what jobs are available and move to where the jobs are - much like migrants do.

Will they do so? Doubt it. Much easier to blame migrants and demand politicians pandy to their vote whilst shafting them up the rear. Gotta laff.

Go Trump Go! I'm just sooo curious to see how it's going to all unfold. :rolleyes:

Just watched an interesting programme about NATO's northern border between Norway and Russia. It just consists of a barbed wire fence. The people in the camp when asked said they were more worried by Trump than Putin. At least most people know Putin's aggressive policies but Trump is as yet unknown and probably unpredictable. Trump says NATO is obsolete but his generals try to reassure members.
Does Mr. Barmy really not know what he is doing ?

Just watched an interesting programme about NATO's northern border between Norway and Russia. It just consists of a barbed wire fence. The people in the camp when asked said they were more worried by Trump than Putin. At least most people know Putin's aggressive policies but Trump is as yet unknown and probably unpredictable. Trump says NATO is obsolete but his generals try to reassure members.
Does Mr. Barmy really not know what he is doing ?

I don't see Russia as a threat either.

They supply EU's gas and have an excellent working relationship with Germany. Contrary to Trump and the UK wanting to see EU fail.

China is not a threat either. They are just market players just like Russia.

Problem is US and UK going around the world destabilising countries so they can get the cheap resources and sell their WMD. I thought this was clear.

Money spent on weapons are not productive. They are destructive.

I also support Trump trying to improve relations with Russia. Much like Ragan and Gorbachov. That worked out really well.

On the other hand, Russia has shut off that gas in the past in order to pressure the European market. And there's no reason to believe that it won't do so again.

Russia's back is against the wall. Therefore it is wise to be extra vigilant.

On the other hand, Russia has shut off that gas in the past in order to pressure the European market. And there's no reason to believe that it won't do so again.

Russia's back is against the wall. Therefore it is wise to be extra vigilant.

Only because bills weren't paid.

What do you mean by back against the wall? Russia has already endured great hardship and I was think life is looking up for them. :rolleyes:

I have say that what is happening now with Trump and the US is like celebrity tittle tattle when compared against historical events. I mean who was in charge when the US was dropping and dripping agent orange and napalm in Vietnam? That period of history was just despicable.

Constituents of Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y.) flooded two town hall meetings on Saturday to confront and boo the congressman over the GOP’s vows to repeal the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, and strip public funding from Planned Parenthood.

One event was supposed to take place in a senior center, but it moved outside because so many people showed up.

In upstate New York, Rep. Tom Reed’s first town hall of the day has been moved outside because the crowd is so big pic.twitter.com/PaanJstFOe

— Thomas Kaplan (@thomaskaplan) February 18, 2017
Attendees loudly booed Reed when he said he did not support public funds for Planned Parenthood.

“I do not support taxpayer-funded paying of abortion,” Reed said, prompting boos. A woman in the front of the crowd immediately fact-checked his remark.

“You, an elected official, [are] giving misinformation,” she said. “Right now, our taxes do not pay for abortions. They pay for mammograms, they pay for birth control.”

“Planned Parenthood, less than 3 percent of the services they provide is abortion. And none of that 3 percent is funded by you,” she added.

Indeed, the Hyde Amendment, passed in 1976 by Congress, prohibits the use of public funds to pay for abortions, so there is no “taxpayer-funded paying of abortion.”

The constituents also booed loudly when Reed offered details on what a replacement for Obamacare could look like. They jeered when he called the Affordable Care Act a “failing system” and suggested that a new system would give more Americans health savings accounts. Most Americans can’t afford to put aside the money required for these accounts.

The crowd chanted in unison, “How can the poor get savings accounts?”

When Reed said this could be fixed simply by growing the economy, the crowd booed loudly again.

At a second town hall meeting later in the day, Reed said Americans would get tax credits to pay for health insurance, according to the Buffalo News. When the audience asked how those credits would be used, Reed replied, “That is something we’re still working on.”

--Sam Levine

It appears that more and more people are becoming attuned to the con.

Given all the AIDS deaths he was responsible for, as well as Iran-Contra, we'll have to disagree on that.

Mr. pessimist on everything USA...so why are you still living here? There must be much better places to live with like minded pessimists.

Meanwhile Trump attracts nearly 10,000 people for a speech/rally in an Orlando, FL airport.

Peter

I have say that what is happening now with Trump and the US is like celebrity tittle tattle when compared against historical events. I mean who was in charge when the US was dropping and dripping agent orange and napalm in Vietnam? That period of history was just despicable.

We're also doing pretty well with slaughtering people in the ME. And that continues.

While President Donald Trump rails against immigrants and foreign workers taking away American jobs, the Trump Vineyard Estates has filed yet another request for visas for foreign farm workers at its Virginia winery.

The application filed last week asks for H-2 worker visa for 23 laborers at $11.27 an hour from April through October this year.

In December, Trump Vineyard Estates also filed an application with the Department of Labor seeking six visas that would allow the company to hire foreign workers for seasonal jobs. That paperwork was submitted just days after Trump urged an Indiana company not to ship American jobs to Mexico.

Trump Winery, which the president’s son Eric Trump owns, would employ the workers, according to Buzzfeed, The winery’s website says it is a registered trade name of Eric Trump Wine Manufacturing LLC and is “not owned, managed or affiliated with Donald J. Trump, The Trump Organization or any of their affiliates.”

But the winery is located on the Trump Vineyard Estates LLC, which filed the visa request.Trump Vineyard Estates is listed as part of the real estate portfolio of the Trump Organization, according to its website. When Trump became president he said he would switch management of his companies to his sons but would maintain ownership. He revealed in a 2015 campaign financial disclosure filing that Trump Vineyard Estates had earned him $150,000 to $1.1 million, Politico reported at the time.

He also boasted at a campaign event last year featuring bottles from the Trump Winery — which was reportedly transferred to Eric Trump in 2012 — that “I own it 100 percent — no mortgage, no debt.”

Trump won approval in December to also hire 77 foreign workers at his Mar-a-Lago resort and Jupiter golf course through the H-2B visa program, according to a review of data from the U.S. Department of Labor shows conducted by Vocativ.

CNN reported last summer that Trump companies have employed at least 1,256 foreign workers — most from Romania and South Africa — in the past 15 years. The companies applied to hire 263 foreign workers even after Trump launched his campaign in which he railed against the loss of U.S. jobs to foreign workers.

--Mary Papenfuss

Mr. pessimist on everything USA...so why are you still living here? There must be much better places to live with like minded pessimists.

Meanwhile Trump attracts nearly 10,000 people for a speech/rally in an Orlando, FL airport.

Peter

Shouldn't he be working in the office draining the swamp instead of jabbering about all over the place talking to the unemployed.

His already wasted 90 mins of his life abusing the press asking them to print fake news on Friday afternoon and wants to spend more time with the electorate telling them porkies!

He is so desparate to feel the love his going walkabouts.

What a clown?

What a joke?

Leaders get on with the strategy and the vision, carrying the people with them.

10,000 you say... Are we supposed to be impressed with that number :LOL:

Trump is as yet unknown and probably unpredictable. Trump says NATO is obsolete but his generals try to reassure members.

"I had previously said that NATO was obsolete because it failed to deal adequately with terrorism. Since my comments, they have changed their policy and now have a new division focused on terror threats."

— Donald Trump on Monday, August 15th, 2016 in a speech on foreign policy in Youngstown, Ohio

Peter

10,000 you say... Are we supposed to be impressed with that number :LOL:

Prior to the election everyone said those numbers don't matter...

He has already done a lot but most of it has been lost on the media.

Peter

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - After a tumultuous opening month in the White House, President Donald Trump is heading to a friendlier, familiar and potentially rejuvenating place: the campaign trail.

Beset by vicious fights over his Cabinet, legal setbacks over his immigration orders, the resignation of his national security adviser and an investigation into possible links between his campaign and Russian intelligence, Trump is turning to the winning formula that vaulted him into the White House: big, adoring crowds and fiery, angry speeches.

This reminds me so much of a movie from 1991 called Soapdish. Sally Field plays the longtime star of a daytime soap who is chronically insecure, so, occasionally, she will drag her writer to a local mall, at which the writer will pretend to be an ordinary shopper and stumble across Sally Field and scream "Oh, look, everybody, it's Celeste Talbert! Celeste Talbert! Look! Look!" At which point everyone who is within shouting distance will crowd around Sally Field asking for autographs and making her feel wanted and admired.

Sound familiar?

Prior to the election everyone said those numbers don't matter...

He has already done a lot but most of it has been lost on the media.

Peter

I fail to see why he feels the need to address a crowd of 10,000.

He has a press secretary that reaches out to millions and media don't write his speeches. We hear it from the horses mouth.

Then there are tweets.

What is the objective I'm a little lost?

It's like grudge match, one day there'll be a film comedy about it starring Will Ferrell and his crew