Trading is an illusion

Another thing with trend following is -
if there is no clear-cut underlying trend to follow in existence at any given time, stay out of the market.

Really? I love it when people think there is no 'clear-cut underlying trend'. There is always a trend, always. What you mean is 'when there is no one-directional move'.

There is nothing worse than losing confidence at the point of maximum pain, realise a loss and end up getting back in at a worse level than you originally entered a position due to a sudden fear that you may be wrong.

Please do not bring back bad memories of the past:(

On the "story" issue you made an excellent point. According to technical analysis every single story or piece of information that affects prices is already reflected in current levels. If you can identify the "story" you know the trend will continue for a while. Excellent point.

But be careful when stories become public information. You must know the story before everyone else jumps in.

Alex

Really? I love it when people think there is no 'clear-cut underlying trend'. There is always a trend, always. What you mean is 'when there is no one-directional move'.

Yes, what i mean is a sustained one directional move, sustained for long enough for all the chart to line up & confirm.
Outside of this sustained one directional move, good opportunities still exist for a profit, and sometimes following these the whole chart lines up/confirms, & then the move in that direction comes to an end.
Again, it comes back to working the %'s - a high probability entry, & then trying to optimise use of a SL, PT etc.

Do it! Chat sites become so critical, it's wrong, it only inhibits and breeds negetivity. Good luck.

Sorry to disturb this thread, but I didn't know of any other means...
Paul, could you turn your PM or e-mail on again please. Otherwise I have no way of replying to your message. Thx.

(@Mods: delete this post afterwards please, or I'll do it myself if Paul replies within 24hours).

Trading is an illusion in the sense that it is similar to a mirage in the desert. We can see whats already happened in a market, just as we can see the mirage as we approach it. But as we approach what should be the physical position of the mirage, we cannot reach/attain/grab it as it does not exist physically, and is an illusion.
With trading as we approach the mirage (present, then future) we cannot grab the market with any certainty. As although we can see the past right up to the present moment, we have no certainty about what will happen next. It's like trying to contain steam in a pan with a sieve as a pan lid - beyond any control!