Trading,FSA, degrees,track records....

Chartsy

Experienced member
Hey, i'm someone starting to get consistent in swing trading (forex/metals) for the last 9 months , after 2-3 years of practice. Problem is, I fear there's not a great deal of backing for me given swing traders are less preferable at prop firms (true?). Also I plan to do economics/finance at uni, but not a top 10, my maths wouldn't cut LSE/Oxbridge.

I'm wondering; if, during my degree, I can produce consistent gains on a small (1-2k initially) over 3 years, and get a good first/ 2:1, would that help my application to IB/hedge funds?

Lastly; what is the outlook for swing traders like? If i can show 35-50% returns with low drawdowns (10-12%) consistently over my trades, surely that's got to help application to IB/HF/prop?

What about personally getting backed by friends/family? This is a grey area it seems and i'm not sure if I need FSA authorisation, or whether it's fine to crack on (i've heard if you don't solicit/advertise for funding, it's ok?), this would enable to prove consistent returns on much larger amounts of money.

Cheers...