Trading from Charts

What a good thread ! Its a pity that more people dont employ an evidence based approach to TA. FWIW I agree with most of the items on your list, but it doesnt really matter if they are true or false. In my experience people only start to make real progress once they've committed to either "the markets are random", or "the markets can be predicted" point of view.

Prior to making that committment they are generally wasting time looking for anything that makes money.

I'm not trying to make a point, my humble aim is to obtain the insight of others into the challenges I find most irksome. Maybe I will summarise a little later if people are not too bored.

I never, ever read my horoscope because (in my humble opinion i.e. I’m not being arrogant since it is mine and I force it on no-one, nor intend insulting other's beliefs) that would be stupid and futile even if it is absolutely correct!

This is because I prefer a rational explanation and the position of the planets or the shapes seen in price charts doesn’t do it for me. For sure, absolutely and with no doubt I can see that markets have repetitive behaviour, but there’s just so many patterns that can be arranged with a bunch of candles. If you’re talking technical indicators, then there is no limit!

I agree with your last point.

It's hard to look at a chart and get anything out of it without spending the time doing it and noting the times you do well and the times you do poorly. I think you'll find you do better at certain times of the day. That's detail you need to go into. It's not just looking at charts either. It's checking you're not trading over non-farms or when liquidity is poor or even when the market is too volatile. It's understanding the temperment, what's going on in the world. With proper backing and a proper setup, you might do alot better.

Hi Jim,

I pretty much agree with you.

I am also very certain that other people here won't. For the most part, they're delusional. Ask them if they trade for a living. When they say no, ask them why. Enjoy the waffling.

:)

P.S. Have posted without actually bothered reading the thread as I know exactly what will be in it anyway!

jimi

I've been sort of half following your thread but i'm not at all clear what point you're trying to make.

If your purpose is to show that TA is useless then the fact that price appears to have reacted occasionally to your irrationally (eyes shut) drawn lines demonstrates nothing. It is akin to the fallacious argument "This idiot has blue eyes, therefore all blue eyed people are idiots".

If your purpose is to show that your bottom line depends on where you get out rather than where you get in, then I'm with you rather more albeit that a well-timed entry helps enormously.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Brajon

The syllogism of ancient Greece might be devastating when applied to a black swan or blue eyed idiot. However, when it comes to understanding financial markets I am more persuaded by Mandelbrot, the father of fractal theory who is without any possible doubt one of the greatest thinkers of the 20th century and who has studied finance since the 1960s. Somewhat more than most I suspect.

His book ‘The (Mis)behaviour of Markets’ is not the source of my thinking, but clearly represents the thoughts I’ve been having for a long time. (If anyone thinks I am comparing myself to Mandelbrot, they seriously need help. Handbags down).

As Mandelbrot says, his book will not make you rich, but there are so many wonderful quotes, please permit me to mention a few relevant to this thread:

“All major ‘forex’ houses employ technical analysts to find ‘support points’, ‘trading ranges’, and other patterns in the tick-by-tick data of the world’s biggest and fastest market. And in the fun-house mirror logic of markets, the chartists can at times be correct. Sterling/dollar quotes really can approach a level advertised by the technical analysts, and then pull back as if hitting a solid wall – or accelerate as if bursting through a barrier. But this is a confidence trick: Everybody knows that everybody knows about the support points, so they place their bets accordingly. It beggars belief that vast sums can change hands on the basis of such financial astrology. It may work at times, but it is not a foundation on which to build a global risk-management system”. Nor a personal trading plan I suspect.

“Prices are not predictable, but their fluctuations can be described by the mathematical laws of chance”.

“Apparently, a reluctance to recant, and thereby to demystify the priesthood, is not limited to theologians”.

“My mathematical models can generate charts that – purely by the operation of random processes – appear to trend and cycle”.

“Dice fall by chance. Roulette wheels spin by chance. But” ... “the Euro-dollar exchange rate” ... does “not rise by the mathematical rules of chance”. (Just in case anyone misunderstands the previous quotes).

“Anticipation is a feature unique to economics. It is psychology, individual and mass – even harder to fathom than the paradoxes of quantum mechanics”.
And this is from a man who actually knows, who won the Wolf Prize in Physics (often considered the most prestigious award in physics after the Nobel Prize), which praised him for having “changed our view of nature”.

“After the fact, with enough time and effort, we can piece together a tolerable cause-and-effect story of why a price moved in the way it did. But who cares? It is too late by then. Fortunes have been made and lost. Before the fact, in the real world of fast markets, veiled motives, and uncertain outcomes, probability is the only tool at our disposal”.

“’Chartists’ spend their days studying financial graphs, spotting head-and-shoulder patterns, identifying compression periods or support levels, and then confidently advising their clients to buy or sell. Would they spot the difference if I slipped one of these coin-tossing charts into their folders? Should I expect a call from one, advising me to buy?”

I’d like to finish with a sillygism of my own: Mandelbrot is a mathematician, the markets are not mathematical, so all that stuff is rubbish. Yes it can all be put down in a ‘one-liner’, but please don’t. If anyone is motivated to disagree in writing, then say why and not in a few words.

Hi Jim,

I pretty much agree with you.

I am also very certain that other people here won't. For the most part, they're delusional. Ask them if they trade for a living. When they say no, ask them why. Enjoy the waffling.

:)

P.S. Have posted without actually bothered reading the thread as I know exactly what will be in it anyway!

Yeah, like those women who try to give me tips on cooking...I say to them "Hey, b1tch, do you cook for a living?"

I risk 10's of thousands of £ investing in the markets, but I don't trade for a living. I enjoy waffling, especially Belgian ones with chocolate topping, yum!

Why not ask the mods to close the thread?..:D

Blackswan

Did I say I wanted to finish? I can't remember. What was the context? Never mind.
If you want to finish the thread, do so by all means, I have no more to say.
Incidentally the black swan in the syllogism is the most often example given, which is why I used it and it has no connection whatsoever with your forum name.

Jim

This is purley for my own selfish fact finding,Enter a long position to test levels at round numbers.Support shown above 1.6000 see if price will retrace from 1.6100 or pause and break through.

- - - - -

Sighthound

I've got to mention this one last time.
The chart shows how I fooled myself for so long believing that my carefully drawn lines were meaningful.
The price on the attachment (your example) so spookily follow the random lines.
Please no-one attack me, if you have hostile feelings, then this mail is not for you.
I am not trying to make an atheist out of a believer.

If anyone else is intrigued, then equally please comment if you want to.
As I suggested earlier someone with sufficient statistical knowledge and ability could explain this phenomena. And, more importantly apply it to TA theory.
What a fabulous research project for a PhD - Has it been done?

Attachments

• USDCHF5.JPG
    USDCHF5.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 182
- - - - -

Sighthound

I've got to mention this one last time.
The chart shows how I fooled myself for so long believing that my carefully drawn lines were meaningful.
The price on the attachment (your example) so spookily follow the random lines.
Please no-one attack me, if you have hostile feelings, then this mail is not for you.
I am not trying to make an atheist out of a believer.

If anyone else is intrigued, then equally please comment if you want to.
As I suggested earlier someone with sufficient statistical knowledge and ability could explain this phenomena. And, more importantly apply it to TA theory.
What a fabulous research project for a PhD - Has it been done?

You're just drawing sh*t on a shart and expecting price to react off it, and when it doesn't you call TA BS. TA is BS. What you're drawing is BS, and is probably why you dont make any money. Unless what you're drawing is just a joke. Sell that sh*t!

brettus

Thank you for your comments

I drew lines on a chart with NO expectations.

I actually bought USDCHF just for fun and made a profit - results published earlier.
Also my GBPUSD results which I achieved using trendlines.

I don't call TA BS, what do you think I use?
I could call it recognising "trading psychology, volatility and patterns" as you did earlier.
You see I read your comments, it seems you don't read mine, but just notice isolated words.

You could call my drawing a joke I suppose, I'd call it an experiment (go back and read again).
Regarding my profitability, it is satisfactory thank you and improving more rapidly now that I have exorcised my daemons (go back and read again).

So thanks again to you and everyone else who has contributed, I've found value in all of it, yes all of it, and apologise for your misunderstanding.