Trading for an investment bank..... the route to take!?? please advise..?!

spriggsy

Hi guys...

I am currently studying for the SII certificates Unit 1 and 4 (securities and derivatives) and had a question. I am determined to get into the City and obviously would love to get a chance with one of the large investment banks on the derivative desks. Apart from the graduate schemes what other routes are there in order to get into these institutions....? I dont mind working all hours god sends at first to prove myself but i want to know how i can at least get this opportunity....?

I amobviously attracted by the training and the fantastic grounding a bit bank like GS or JPM can give me and eventually i am interested in commodities and derivative trading.

I would be perfectly happy to take a temp job in a settlements department with a bank to get my foot in the door and then do my best to make contacts once i'm there but should i use the 'cold calling' method, or through agencies or what...?

any help on this would be much appreciated!

Many Thanks
Steve:p

I would not suggest cold calling as most of them will just tell you to check there websites.
Your best bet first is to make sure you have a top degree from a top university and a masters will be helpful aswell, apart from that make sure you cv is flawless and try to list gd extra activites.
Now adays even a middle office job is hard enough to get as theres 1000s of others just like you looking for that first step into an IB.
But good luck :)

Great advice crude lover,

What 'top degree' or 'masters' would one need?? In previous posts you've said
"some people can trade and earn immediately, 2 you know of personally that have become millionaire's within 1 year".....

Could you help this person out a little more do you think??

With Cold calling they can only tell you go away but it's part of being persistant, that will make you consistant and of course any company would welcome that...Give it a go when theres nothing to lose.

I would not suggest cold calling as most of them will just tell you to check there websites.
Your best bet first is to make sure you have a top degree from a top university and a masters will be helpful aswell, apart from that make sure you cv is flawless and try to list gd extra activites.
Now adays even a middle office job is hard enough to get as theres 1000s of others just like you looking for that first step into an IB.
But good luck :)

Yes i did say that Lee but if you remember right that person was talking about trading at an arcade where as this post refers to trading at an investment bank.

But as i said good luck getting intot he industry bit of hard work and determination should do it

Great advice crude lover,

What 'top degree' or 'masters' would one need?? In previous posts you've said
"some people can trade and earn immediately, 2 you know of personally that have become millionaire's within 1 year".....

Could you help this person out a little more do you think??

With Cold calling they can only tell you go away but it's part of being persistant, that will make you consistant and of course any company would welcome that...Give it a go when theres nothing to lose.

Can you dominate this forum by trading?

If not all your degree's are worthless.

DT

I guess let me put it this way, I going after the same job. Can you beat me out trading head to head?

That's what it'll take.

DT
:)