Trading: Emotionally and Spiritually sapping?

please help!

Hi Trendie

Another way of adding content to your "job" might be to help struggling fellow traders improve. If you can consider it, then I am a very committed candidate.
Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

QUOTE=trendie;973626]I've thought about this a bit more. along with some excellent insights via PM. (references to narcotics notwithstanding :cheesy: )

I think its because in a normal career, you earn more because your peers give you a pay rise.
they have deemed you to be worthy of more money.
In trading, I effectively decide my own worth. and weirdly, my inability to trade above a certain size may mean I have issues about what I am "entitled" to from the market. This, in addition to the unproductive and selfish nature of the job.

I suppose its the lack of feedback from peers. This is a surprising thought from me, as I never thought I needed others to compliment me or acknowledge my abilities.
I wonder if this is what makes people have journals?

I do trade from home. and I think donalddukes advice makes most sense to me.
thanks for all replies so far.[/QUOTE]

Hi Trendie

Another way of adding content to your "job" might be to help struggling fellow traders improve. If you can consider it, then I am a very committed candidate.
Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

ha-ha!
I had a short burst of PMs with another long-standing member about giving back by mentoring traders!
Actually, I have been asked to give some guidance about set-ups, etc. And I have been offered money to mentor.
All I end up doing is giving my philosphy of trading, and its reasoning, so the set-ups make sense.
Never accepted money to teach, nor to trade another persons account.
although, have seriously thought about writing an e-book! :eek:

Anyway, the PM simply referred to the plethora of threads oozing sour-grapes, petty, vindictive criticisms, and vendor-baiting, and the like; mostly by newbies who want it on a plate, and cry like babies when they dont make a fortune in 2 weeks.
Seems like T2W, as a whole, seem to revel in such types of threads.

I have no intention of teaching, or trading another persons account.
the hassle downside is disproportionately weighted against the monetary upside.

I think I have homed in on donalddukes idea of just trading bigger size, and giving more, in a more formal, regular way to local charities that I have an affinity for.

one of my faves: http://www.countyairambulancetrust.co.uk/

How lucky you are to have such a problem. It is never too late to do something of value. Contribute to a pet charity. That should assuage your guilt.

That makes perfect sense given that they are usually wrong :LOL:

:rolleyes:

I have to giggle when I read city...there is so much wrong information over there :LOL:
Whats even funnier is, you know it's wrong:) but do nothing to correct your chumps

You've been trading for 2 years but found time for 4,500 posts to this website alone? You must truly have been bored.

You've been trading for 2 years but found time for 4,500 posts to this website alone? You must truly have been bored.

displacement activity for taking my mind off trades, to let them breathe.
(had a tendency to take profits too soon, before I settled on taking fixed profits on part of trade)

You've been trading only 2 years? LOL
And you expect us to believe you make enough money to be bored?
Please....

How much money are you making. I would like to know so that I can get a rough idea of earnings potential. Please could you also include market traded, period traded and number of hours traded per day

Scott

I have been trading over 2 years full-time.
Looking back on it, there have been highs and lows.
The money is good. (my target was to replace my old income, plus 50%, at the very least)

However, looking back, I cant help it has been a wasted journey.
I can buy things. Pay bills.
But I havent produced anything of any meaningful value.
Or provided a service another person has benefitted from.
(in comparison to my previous role in IT systems development)

I feel that trading is spiritually sapping, and dont feel that I have achieved anything worthwhile, in the sense others have not benefitted or gained from my trading.
Its totally selfish.

Am I having a crisis of conscience?

EDIT: AAHH! or maybe, I am not making enough money!?! maybe??

How much money are you making. I would like to know so that I can get a rough idea of earnings potential. Please could you also include market traded, period traded and number of hours traded per day

Scott

You really should edit your post and also ask how much can you lose.

Scott

Scotty 123,
I think you should read trendie's post again.
Your questions are somewhat akin to how long is a peice of string....
And surely you need look no further than Warren Buffet as an upper guide and as far as Nick Leeson for the lower guide.....hmmm?

You've been trading only 2 years? LOL
And you expect us to believe you make enough money to be bored?
Please....

I have been trading off and on since 2001/02.
Have blown a few accounts, before I got my act together.
I have been trading full-time since May 2007.

I am bored with the actuality of trading, not with the amount I am making/not making.

Try reading "Trading in the Zone" by Mark Douglas, this attempts to deal with some of the psychological issues involved in trading. Or you could start playing online poker for small stakes, to pass the time.

We all like to feel a sense of accomplishment. Have you ever cleaned you garage or cut your lawn and then go back and look at it time and again? It’s a great feeling of accomplishment when your muscles ache a bit after doing these things and being able to see the tangible results of your labor.

Trading should be complimented with other activities. For me, after tradng I go straight to the gym. The gym seems to clear one's mind after doing cardio and weights Even though I am physically tired after the gym , I still feel good and somehow mentally refreshed.