Trading Courses/Seminars

dbphoenix said:
You may have a point that having gone through the process of trading, or at least learning how to trade, may be prerequisite for teaching somebody else how to do so.
Db
Bit like my preference for learning to drive with an instructor who was also a decent driver!

dbphoenix said:
However, Tharp is not an exception, nor has he demonstrated any credibility at all with regard to trading prowess. But then Tharp does not teach traders how to trade; rather he addresses certain specific issues which are common to traders in trouble. Whether his counsel with regard to those issues is in itself credible or beneficial is another matter.
Thank you for furthering my knowledge of the chap. I intended to refer to "apparent" credability as a trainer rather than a trader, but then Messrs Secker and Winters also seem create an impression of credability amongst their followers.

dbphoenix said:
Again, learning how to trade does not mean learning somebody's system any more than learning how to paint means mimicking Rembrandt, or learning how to design a building means mimicking Wright. One needn't be a genius in order to design a system. But, with rare exceptions, that's not what those who flock to the courses and seminars and chatrooms are interested in. They're interested in calls and in being told where to enter and exit. And that's why they're so often dissatisfied.
I love the analogies! I hope you are right that genius is not required, leaves me with a chance then...
I'm sure you are right about the flocks. I fear that few will ever be re-directed until after their homing instincts have landed them in the wrong places.

Last edited:
peto said:
Bit like my preference for learning to drive with an instructor who was also a decent driver!

A bit, yes. Like driving, there are levels of trading. The driving instructor needn't be Mario Andretti. The trading instructor needn't be Paul Tudor Jones.

Like any trader in the spot light amongst 100s of others at a live seminar where I was trading live ( no one else has ever done this ) there are allways one or two ready to critisise after the event.
While there were many extreamly satisfyied custermers some were not, hey thats life.

Im happy to trade live any where, and then anyone who want know how who its can come to a seminar.

If other traders are not immpressed thats ok with me.

Im not here toughting for business, as i make all my $$££ from trading.

Over the years I have done 6 sucsessfull seminars and still get asked to do more, its been 3 yrs since I last done one and have no plans of doing any more.

Yes I think all seminars should have go go DANCERS , free Beers with unlimmited food on tap.

No dought I have some fans and some others who are less kind, but then again I dont like everyone I meet, but I never lower myself to critisise or slag of others.

Attachments

• sheepg5_low.gif
    sheepg5_low.gif
    44.2 KB · Views: 277
swager said:
Like any trader in the spot light amongst 100s of others at a live seminar where I was trading live ( no one else has ever done this )

I saw Peter Steidelmayer do this in 1988...I am sure many others have too, so thats not true

Hello,

where take place the seminars?

regards from germany
Ralf Kasper in Oberhausen/germany

I am trading a long time, the best way to learn is learn from your own experience. I attent seminar on stock, stock options, index future, and forex.

Ill give 3 examples

Jose Mourinho
Arsen Wenger
Alex Fergison

None were notable footballers... all three perhaps among the greatest LONG TERM.. teachers / mentors / tactical football minds of all time !!

you dont need to be a trader to teach trading... in fact I would say its better that you are not !!! most sucessful traders are arseh*les...

Just like sucessful footballers

Hi Swagger

I detect that you have almost zero knowledge of trading, if this is true then the sort of training that you will need runs into months of training and practice and not days!

The training companies do it for profit to have multiple streams of income. trading does not take many hours per week once you are trained and experienced so why should they not teach people too as they trade?

There are courses out there for $100 but it won't get you where you need to be, you will lose $thousands whilst your learn the hard way :-((. Its noy just a case of clicking a few buttons a some would have you believe.

I think in order for you to understand the task you are undertaking I suggest you train for free, just 1 of the many aspects of trading.

Go to www.ninjatrader.com and use their free platform with charts, they train you on LIVE webinars 2 hours every day for free. No once you are proficient at that takes a few weeks, go on more training with other companies on what indicators are and how to use them on your charts. then find a company that will train you about strategies, money management, psychology, trade sizing.

You will then realize why those companies charge so much. Even after training a very high number of traders are not successful.

You can watch how live traders make their trades and profit on the ES emini at traders international. Some on here don't like them but for someone who knows Zero I think you will be facinated by what it is that you are trying to do. It will give you an insight, there are other trainers too but they are the only one I know of where you can watch live for free 3 times every week.

Good Luck

Ill give 3 examples

Jose Mourinho
Arsen Wenger
Alex Fergison

None were notable footballers... all three perhaps among the greatest LONG TERM.. teachers / mentors / tactical football minds of all time !!

you dont need to be a trader to teach trading... in fact I would say its better that you are not !!! most sucessful traders are arseh*les...

Just like sucessful footballers

A football manger though is not teaching football he has his own role to play in getting tatics right choosing the team etc. A football coach on the other hand would teach the players how to play football.

Someone who can trade successfuly is not going to teach trading. Someone on the other hand who has read a few books maybe worked understands the theory behind trading and can present well will earn a nice living selling dreams.

Charitable donations seem to be the more common result of altruism. Warren Buffet recently donated several squillion, and our own mr marcus recently mentioned a substantial charitable involvement.
Indulgently dreaming for a moment, I 'd love to be in a position to do both, i.e. encourage / coach students who seemed likely to contribute some of their resultant gains to those for whom filling the family rice bowl tomorrow is a more pressing problem than creating a trading account.

Warren Buffet in his younger days also taught investment skills in his local college, although I don't know whether this was for free or he was paid by the college.

You certainly do not need to pay through the roof for good learning materials. I would say from experience the best traders I have seen are those who get guidance and then learn themselves, come back for guidance and then learn themselves. This guidance can be achieved by a tutor or mentor but certainly should not cost you anything over £500. These places charges thousands are not good value. Just my view.

From my own experience I can say that indeed you need guidance and then learn yourself. However the guidance part can be found for FREE on the internet:clap:. Pick everybody's brain on forums like these and then develop your own plan. Stuff like mental issues, money management, keeping a trade log, etc. can all be found for free on the internet. I personally think this article from trade2win is quite good for starters: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/89078-essentials-first-steps.html

Shaka:cool:,

Frits

This is a very good question.. They charge high prices because they are usually failed traders who have found a way to cream money out of poor people tyring to learn trading. Trading College uk is the worst for this IMO They will sell you there stolen indicators, I have been dealing with TradeThe Markets for years and decided to try someone in the Uk as the time difference was a bit annoying so i ran them side by side for a bit, the emails were always similar until i one day got near identicle emails. I called TTM and they assured me that they write everthing themself so i called Trading college where i got a load of abuse from a lady there. I guess people just want to rip people off. Best bet is to read Trading in the Zone and then decide how you want to trade.

They even tell you what hotels they use, what a ****ing joke. Trading in the Zone, Mark Douglas great book.

This is a very good question.. They charge high prices because they are usually failed traders who have found a way to cream money out of poor people tyring to learn trading. Trading College uk is the worst for this IMO They will sell you there stolen indicators, I have been dealing with TradeThe Markets for years and decided to try someone in the Uk as the time difference was a bit annoying so i ran them side by side for a bit, the emails were always similar until i one day got near identicle emails. I called TTM and they assured me that they write everthing themself so i called Trading college where i got a load of abuse from a lady there. I guess people just want to rip people off. Best bet is to read Trading in the Zone and then decide how you want to trade.
That is the type of woman who would benefit from the abovementioned action. You are half way there my friend, you have found the bint, now all yo have to do is skin her and fry her.
:whistle:whistling:whistle:whistling(y)

Bint, you are absolutely hilarious, mate. I can understand that a person wants to be compensated for passing on information, but those kinds of prices are just flat-out ridiculous. They just remind me of those seminars where you just "buy gold coins" and "exchange them" and you get rich - but it's not a pyramid scheme!

I further the notion for said woman to partake in aforementioned action. :D