Traders Wanted - The Tibra Group

Just got rejected after the HR interview. But the reason for being rejected is kinda odd. What supprises me most is the at the interview that I asked the HR what challenges Tibra faces in the next few years? she did not hesitate to tell me that Tibra may go bust tomorrow!! What kind of HR would say that to a candidate. I knew I would get rejected even before the interview finished since she could say something like that about Tibra to me.

Just got rejected after the HR interview. But the reason for being rejected is kinda odd. What supprises me most is the at the interview that I asked the HR what challenges Tibra faces in the next few years? she did not hesitate to tell me that Tibra may go bust tomorrow!! What kind of HR would say that to a candidate. I knew I would get rejected even before the interview finished since she could say something like that about Tibra to me.

Where did you go wrong in the interview? Did you tell them about your love for money? :p

Also, would they be hiring people if the company was about to go bust?

I imagine she was speaking a bit tounge in cheek, but trying to stress in the current climate anything can happen. Interviews for trading jobs whilst it is a 100% money oriented business, don't want to hear you going on about all the money you think you can make or want to make. They want to hear about what you think you can contribute, do you have the intelligence to come up with a new profitable trade? Everyone can make a bit of money but they want to know are you going to soil urself when things get tough in the markets ie. when its not a case of making money but just trying to keep your head above water, until good times return....

I'm doing the test tomorrow, hopefully I'll pass but I've been out of trading now for over a year travelling around and have not used that side of my brain to often, we'll see.....

hi au959

i am currently 20 years old and study at 1st year ba economics at university.. i never really managed to obtain decent a-levels grades i got below 200 ucas points.. however ever since i can remember i always wanted to be a trader in london, do you think i have a relistic chance? if so what would you advise me to do to improve my prospects?

please be honest in your reply any feedback i will take in a postive manner

thanks

I am 25 years old and I am interested to be trader. I have apply most of the major investment banking job but no suggest. Can anyone give me guidance

I imagine she was speaking a bit tounge in cheek, but trying to stress in the current climate anything can happen. Interviews for trading jobs whilst it is a 100% money oriented business, don't want to hear you going on about all the money you think you can make or want to make. They want to hear about what you think you can contribute, do you have the intelligence to come up with a new profitable trade? Everyone can make a bit of money but they want to know are you going to soil urself when things get tough in the markets ie. when its not a case of making money but just trying to keep your head above water, until good times return....

I'm doing the test tomorrow, hopefully I'll pass but I've been out of trading now for over a year travelling around and have not used that side of my brain to often, we'll see.....

Thank you very much for your reply!! Any other advices for interview?
And how did your test go?

Hi,

Please don't confuse Tibra Capital with a 'prop shop' or 'trading arcade'.

Our traders are employees and our basic salaries are exactly that. We have well over 100 employees across offices in Sydney, Hong Kong, London and now Amsterdam.

We pay our trainees well so that they can concentrate on learning in what is an extremely challenging industry. In return, we expect only the best and brightest candidates who can learn quickly and produce excellent results.

Typically, we are competing with top tier banks for access to the best candidates on an ongoing basis...therefore our starting salaries reflect what you would be paid if you started at a top tier bank.

To answer a few other questions:

- we generally dont offer work experience placements at this stage, although this may change and we will place relevant information on our website which is being upgraded
- we are getting close to 1,000 applications per month for trading jobs so no responses are guaranteed and we are adding to our HR team (already 6 people) to cope with demand and screening requirements
- positions are available in all cities at present

Regards
Hi au959,

with regards to the written tests', have you considered assessing candidates based on there work experience rather than having to sit a logic test as it is not always possible to assess a potential traders competency based on a written test. it is also bias as i know people who have failed these kind of tests whilst applying with another company but then went on to be successful traders. I myself excel when i am shadowing someone and being taught while on the job.practical work experience beats classroom theory any day. Just because someone does well on a written test, it does not mean they will do well in a live environment. A 1st class Cambridge graduate does not mean he will make a top selling salesman. i would love to work for TIBRA but i know i would probably not do so well on the written tests, however throughout my career i have been successful and i know i can be a successful trader with the right training, but i don't feel i will even get this chance because i won't even make it pass the preliminaries.

so could you please have a think about this and maybe change the process to make it fair to everyone, as i'm sure there are many people out there who would make good traders but are not academics!

Traderboi29

Last edited:
hi au959

i am currently 20 years old and study at 1st year ba economics at university.. i never really managed to obtain decent a-levels grades i got below 200 ucas points.. however ever since i can remember i always wanted to be a trader in london, do you think i have a relistic chance? if so what would you advise me to do to improve my prospects?

thanks

Qasim999,

I'm guessing from your UCAS points that you didnt get into a very good university for Econ? That 99.9% rules out trading for a bank. You could trade for an arcade like futex since they are more concerned about drive and motivation for trading, rather than academic qualifications. As for Tibra...their selection is extremely tough. Their business model appears to revolve around only taking on the brightest of people (filtered out through an extremely difficult test with a very low pass rate). Again, sorry to judge; but the only indicator I have is your UCAS score and on that basis, I doubt you would do well. Ask yourself the following questions...

Why do I want to be a trader?

Why would I be good at being a trader?

What makes a good trader?

The above comments aside, If you really want to be a trader - go for it. Buy yourself a copy of Hull and read it cover to cover.

And remember....Being a trader is less about fast cars, model girlfriends and cocaine and more about 5.30am wake-up calls, hard work, study and more hard work. Good luck.

Qasim999,

I'm guessing from your UCAS points that you didnt get into a very good university for Econ? That 99.9% rules out trading for a bank. You could trade for an arcade like futex since they are more concerned about drive and motivation for trading, rather than academic qualifications. As for Tibra...their selection is extremely tough. Their business model appears to revolve around only taking on the brightest of people (filtered out through an extremely difficult test with a very low pass rate). Again, sorry to judge; but the only indicator I have is your UCAS score and on that basis, I doubt you would do well. Ask yourself the following questions...

The above comments aside, If you really want to be a trader - go for it. Buy yourself a copy of Hull and read it cover to cover.

And remember....Being a trader is less about fast cars, model girlfriends and cocaine and more about 5.30am wake-up calls, hard work, study and more hard work. Good luck.

i think anyone who uses how well people did at school or university as an indication of how intelligent they are is a fool. I did **** at school cause i didnt give a **** and i never went to uni. I am far from st00pid

Qasim999,

hey, how do u know that the test at tibra is extremly tough? have you taken it? ive heard from someone that has taken the test and passed that is was basic, it's just basic maths but done mentally with tedious sums such as 343627+635242 and 11X56 etc, i wouldnt call that tough, just gotta brush up on your basic maths!

hi au959

thanks

qasim,

i think you just need to send your CV and find out, your not gona know unless you actually do something about it, everyone wants to be a trader but its the ones that actually do something about it that sets them apart..............if i were you i would get some paper trading experience, get a feel for things, then i would try to do well on my exams and start applying to boutiques and take it from there...........good luck

I am 25 years old and I am interested to be trader. I have apply most of the major investment banking job but no suggest. Can anyone give me guidance

you wont even get a sniff from IB unless you have a min 2.1 from a redbrick uni, best thing to do is apply to prop house and arcades........

Hi everyone been reading the posts and become curious about why you would want to work as a trader for someone else and only earn between $60-100,000 a year.

Now this is not a jive at anyone just me trying to workout the human mind and how it works. What beliefs are people hanging onto and not letting go off?

This is what's going through my mind, assuming that you can average a 10 pip profit per day with 5 standard contracts ($5,000 US depending on your leverage) that equates to around $130,000 US a year before tax. Thats only 50 pips a week without compounding.

Nothing against Tibra Group but I became a trader to secure my freedom and not to end up working for someone else where they tell me how I'm allowed to trade.

Just my thoughts no offense intended.

@ Peaceful_Warrior: You get more then just 60k per year. It depends on where you work. At a prop trading firm, your are just trading like you always would but you would be using alot more money. (i.e. keeping 10% of a 20% gain on 50k is better then making and keeping that 20% gain on 10k of your own money)... A prop trading firm allows you access to more capital.

A bank you get a nice bonus at the end of the year in addition to you salary. My opinion is that banks are for older traders who need a stable wage to support their wife and children.

A hedge fund you would get more then a bank. But they normally require a phd/mba and I/bank experience.

And a market marker, I am pretty sure you would have the smallest salary potential. (i.e. 60k when you are starting out all the way up to something like 250k a fair few years later). MMs imo are second to bank trading. (please correct me if wrong)

@ traderboi29: You wouldnt get a sniff unless you know someone ;)

@ qasim999: I am 20 as well and if you have always wanted to be a trader, you'd better of started trading by now. I have had my money in the markets one way or another (currencies, stocks, gold, oil, futures) for the past 2 years. All the money I have put in the markets I have earned by working s*** jobs at crazy hours. That teaches you a thing or two. I have made amazing progress.

I never plan on getting a degree/phd until im forty because by then I will be retired, f***ed enough super models, done wayy too much coke and will start to want people to call me doctor. To me, getting a degree at this age is just a waste.

p.s. Tibra never replied back to my application. I don't mind. Popped collars and stoner C# programmers aren't my style.

interesting the impression is that you need to be some degree maths whizz super intelligent type to trade? i would have thought trading would tend to freak those types out? i would be looking for zen meditation master types who have mastered their emotions.

How many times a year does Tibra do testing? i was hoping to find sometime between Feb - April, do they recruit during this period? Also do they issue work visas?

interesting the impression is that you need to be some degree maths whizz super intelligent type to trade? i would have thought trading would tend to freak those types out? i would be looking for zen meditation master types who have mastered their emotions.

thats what i thought..

the only emotions i have are greed and disgust