Too Loose to Lose?

ampro

Amazing how frequently the word loose replaces the word lose in sentences, not only on here, but generally across the forum world. A shiny banana skin for sure!

Selected Oxford English definitions are as follows:

Loose: not constrained, free, unbound….sexually immoral or promiscuous!
Lose: to fail to win or gain, mislay/forget/misplace……suffer defeat

“hey coach, my previous mentor recommended I chill out & loosen up. He assured me it would benefit my trading by allowing me to focus & zone in. Well, I feel really loose & cool….but I don’t seem to be able to snap this 357 trade losing streak?! Think you can take a look here for me?

“ok take a seat hotshot. Hmmmm, you’re certainly loose. But I guess we could lose the 3 tabs of acid half hour prior to you firing up your trade platform huh?

Amazing how frequently the word loose replaces the word lose in sentences, not only on here, but generally across the forum world. A shiny banana skin for sure!

Selected Oxford English definitions are as follows:

Loose: not constrained, free, unbound….sexually immoral or promiscuous!
Lose: to fail to win or gain, mislay/forget/misplace……suffer defeat

“hey coach, my previous mentor recommended I chill out & loosen up. He assured me it would benefit my trading by allowing me to focus & zone in. Well, I feel really loose & cool….but I don’t seem to be able to snap this 357 trade losing streak?! Think you can take a look here for me?

“ok take a seat hotshot. Hmmmm, you’re certainly loose. But I guess we could lose the 3 tabs of acid half hour prior to you firing up your trade platform huh?

I have no problem with loose but, after over 40 years living in Spain, I have my problem words, where the dictionary has to be consulted- I'm getting better since I started posting on this forum. It's coming back to me but I need to look up immigrant, holliday, etc. sometimes, for the double letters.

Split

Sthg really strange I've noticed is that many people whose native language is English have started using "of" for "have"...

I would of bought a Roller if I would of won the lottery...

Lol !

YouTube - Rednecks of the South

Every country has it's share of RedNecks eh ;-)

Not to be confuse with not only but..... also...

Lewser Thats L-E-W-S-E-R used when connected with everyones Lewserness. I'm from Brooklyn ?

Trendie
dont forget "there", their", and "they're".

being honest I've forgotten the last one...(I was aware of 3 but could not remember it) but ive consumed copious amounts of narcotics last decade or so, and I definately notice the memory going a bit mush.....

hmm but why was the English language Americanis(z)ed anyway ? like colour to color ?
who started buggering with that?

I think its the phonetics of loo that gets them,,,, hence why lots of people type loo..sing.. instead of losing. But I think on the whole standards are slipping in the UK last couple of decades .

I mean phonetically losing.. is low..sing and loo.sing is em Lewsing , yes.. ?

So after me everyone thats L-E-W-S-I-N-G

And no one mentioned the French with Toulose what the hell they going on about?

:p

But now we are becomming a global community with the internet n all i fink it da time 4 d new lingo 2 b mbraced m8's n m8'S is. as schlong as it not bloody jerman.

Last edited:
Sthg really strange I've noticed is that many people whose native language is English have started using "of" for "have"...

I would of bought a Roller if I would of won the lottery...

Lol !

YouTube - Rednecks of the South

Every country has it's share of RedNecks eh ;-)

People listen and write what they think they hear- For instance, an explanation of your example could be that they hear "would've" and write "would of".

LOL Blimey, mate, with all the local accents these days, even on the BBC, it's a wonder that they write as well as they do.

When my wife was learning English I was amused at the way she used to write "Festival" instead of "First of all" Quite an original mistake, I thought, but that was the way she heard it.

Spanish is full of traps and a lot of Spaniards are, really, very backward in their grammar. One common error is the "v" which is pronounced like a "b"

Split.

Split there you are

People listen and write what they think they hear- For instance, an explanation of your example could be that they hear "would've" and write "would of".

LOL Blimey, mate, with all the local accents these days, even on the BBC, it's a wonder that they write as well as they do.

When my wife was learning English I was amused at the way she used to write "Festival" instead of "First of all" Quite an original mistake, I thought, but that was the way she heard it.

Spanish is full of traps and a lot of Spaniards are, really, very backward in their grammar. One common error is the "v" which is pronounced like a "b"

Split.

Hi Split

Allowed to post its weekend :cheesy:

A good friend from Iran was a good and quick learner of, well everything, when he was first learning English he would listen carefully to everything you said, never interupting just listening

One day in the Chippy, we let him order, a bit of on the job training :LOL:

just like the well told Joke

"Ill have five Fu..kin Fish and Chips please"

:eek: :eek:

We went to the next shop down the road pretty quick and explained later :LOL: :LOL:

Happy Christmas Split

Andy

Reactions: BSD
Makes sense Split :)

Just had a great extended weekend in Barcelona with my wife and friends awhile back, super, very very fun city that. Bet you enjoy living in Spain :)

Living abroad is always one of the most enjoyable things one can do anyway I believe.

Devel, hehe, bet you really ran eh ;-)

Some more mastery of the English language:

YouTube - speech

Hi Split

Allowed to post its weekend :cheesy:

A good friend from Iran was a good and quick learner of, well everything, when he was first learning English he would listen carefully to everything you said, never interupting just listening

One day in the Chippy, we let him order, a bit of on the job training :LOL:

just like the well told Joke

"Ill have five Fu..kin Fish and Chips please"

:eek: :eek:

We went to the next shop down the road pretty quick and explained later :LOL: :LOL:

Happy Christmas Split

Andy

This reminds me of a time in Scotland, a quiet pub late at night. The Polish barmaid was clearing up...out comes the brush..." excuse me, I need to swoop the floor "....we all fell about laughing, just like being in an episode of "allo allo ".

cv

Got me going now

This reminds me of a time in Scotland, a quiet pub late at night. The Polish barmaid was clearing up...out comes the brush..." excuse me, I need to swoop the floor "....we all fell about laughing, just like being in an episode of "allo allo ".

cv

Hi CV

Back in the snooker Playing days a snooker a player who shall remain un-named PAUL :LOL: from Malta had a real problem with the correct use of words

We cracked up more times than I care to mention, trained ourselves not to point out the error"s

One Classic

On returning from holiday in Africa

" arrrrr it was really great, the best bit was seeing the hippypitypotimus"s close up"

we all kept a straight face JUST :| it was worth it because next he came out with

"There were all kinds of things to see, I don"t like snakes myself but it was OK because all the Vim was removed"

could nt take it any longer The club collapsed, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :p :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

poor Paul :eek: still don"t think he gets it.

Andy

I remember a bus queue in Golders Green that happened to have an inspector standing by when a foreigner came up to ask for directions as to which bus to catch. The inspector pointed to a trolleybus.

The foreigner hestitated, "Dat ...dat?

The inspector decided to help him out with some German and, patiently, said, "Ja, ja, der vun mit der two sticks on top"

Split

Markus,

I think “would of” is a phonetic spelling of the contraction “would have”, ie “would’ve” , a feature of the Manchester accent, exaggerated, possibly satirised or cliched.

Don’t they teach you anything in the gymnasium?

Grant.

Me and the Mrs

I remember a bus queue in Golders Green that happened to have an inspector standing by when a foreigner came up to ask for directions as to which bus to catch. The inspector pointed to a trolleybus.

The inspector decided to help him out with some German and, patiently, said, "Ja, ja, der vun mit der two sticks on top"

Split

Hi Split

Good one :LOL:

You not talking to me :?: its Christmas ~ nearly :D

Me and the Mrs, well was"nt the Mrs then, hang on one minute, still not the Mrs :eek: must do something drastic, 16 years is to bloody long :LOL:

Asked french guy for a Coke near the Arc de Triumph, 10 francs monsuer, gave him the cash and it droped down is wheely truck :eek: its ok Ill get it later

Drinking the Coke on a near by wall, :devilish: :devilish: frenchman give us my francs these are sonteems (valueless, old money I think)

The Mrs says why have them they are rubbish and not worth anything

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no Monsuer they are errrrrrrr let me see errrrr how you say :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Large cue at his trolley by this time :eek:

"Oh your right in very good English its total sh..t not worth a penny :eek: :eek:

excuse spelling :LOL:

Andy

Mondegreens

Much of this thread reminds me of "mondegreens" which are mishearings of the lyrics of popular songs and spoken word etc. ref Mondegreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eg Jimi Hendrix's "Excuse me while I kiss this guy" (real lyric: "Excuse me while I kiss the sky")
I suppose the topical example would be "while sheperds washed their socks by night"!

Plenty more if you Google it.

Last edited:
Hi Split

Good one :LOL:

You not talking to me :?: its Christmas ~ nearly :D

Me and the Mrs, well was"nt the Mrs then, hang on one minute, still not the Mrs :eek: must do something drastic, 16 years is to bloody long :LOL:

Asked french guy for a Coke near the Arc de Triumph, 10 francs monsuer, gave him the cash and it droped down is wheely truck :eek: its ok Ill get it later

Drinking the Coke on a near by wall, :devilish: :devilish: frenchman give us my francs these are sonteems (valueless, old money I think)

The Mrs says why have them they are rubbish and not worth anything

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no Monsuer they are errrrrrrr let me see errrrr how you say :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Large cue at his trolley by this time :eek:

"Oh your right in very good English its total sh..t not worth a penny :eek: :eek:

excuse spelling :LOL:

Andy

Hi Andy,

You're always saying goodbye and then I see you around, again. :) Admit it. the forums have that certain pull!

We're getting into the Christmas spirit, as well, this year. Relatives coming over on the 18th until New Year.

It's freezing outside, by the way, just to let you know that we are in the same boat, this weekend.

Split

I am addicted

Hi Andy,

You're always saying goodbye and then I see you around, again. :) Admit it. the forums have that certain pull!

We're getting into the Christmas spirit, as well, this year. Relatives coming over on the 18th until New Year.

It's freezing outside, by the way, just to let you know that we are in the same boat, this weekend.

Split

Hi Split

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sussed me out

addicted Split,

hello goodbye hello goodbye

Hello again

new platform under control =

Danger beware :LOL: :LOL:

so will give it a bit longer to be sure :LOL: :LOL:

ye to late for anything major next week and those volumes are very poor, got a feeling:LOL: ftse will creep of uphill while we all rest and eat to many mince pies. But will rest up like Td s cheetah in the picy waiting to attempt a kill, might have a wee one monday/tuesday, will see

Hope your trading going well to Split

Andy

TD waiting :arrowd: :LOL:

Attachments

• Waiting for a kill to come by.jpg
    Waiting for a kill to come by.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 518
If copy has only one P then why does poppy have two ?

dd

The "whys" of languages.:LOL: When I was teaching (not professionally, just helping friends) I used to say "Don't ask me difficult questions like that! That's the way it is!

Spanish has very logical spelling and the rules are clear. The emphasis follows known rules or, if it isn't, they put an accent on it. No funny letter combinations to trip one up, like "ph". There is no "photography"--it's "fotografía", with the accent on the 4th syllable. So you can read a word and know how to pronounce it, at once.

But, Oh, them verbs! They've got more time scales on them than anything in TA! :LOL:

They, also use double negatives. To my ear it sounds like "We ain't got none" Neither does the language have a "w". I used to get a kick out of my wife by asking her to say "wagon wheels" and "wood worm" :) . Neither does a word start with an "s", but with "es", as in "España" and "estupido"

My MIL used to frown and say to me, "Not speaky English, speaky Espanish!

Split

Markus,

Don’t they teach you anything in the gymnasium?

Grant.

Grant, standards aren't what they used to be sadly ;-)

YouTube - We Are Sinking (German Coast Guard)

Split

LOL !

007, "mondegreen" was certainly new to me, never heard that before, re that Jimi Hendrix song, I always thought it was, "while I kiss this guy", taken me almost 40 years to clear that one up, hehe.

Markus,

"Thinking". Brilliant. That brightened up my weekend.

Split,

"es" rather than "s". Similarly, why the French use "escargot" as opposed to "snails", don't you think?

Grant.