Think or swim..

Been hearing a lot of about SoT from my american friends and on the net, the question i have is that
are SoT really going to accepting UK accounts or is it alot of gibberish...?

Assume you are talking about ToS, and not SoT... ?

ToS should indeed take UK accounts, I am EU based and I have been with ToS for years with no problem. You do not have to be a US resident to get a ToS account.

Been hearing a lot of about SoT from my american friends and on the net, the question i have is that
are SoT really going to accepting UK accounts or is it alot of gibberish...?

I'm in the UK and I opened a US$ account with no problems. They have great client software, but their pricing isn't competitive enough for me ...

I think there pricing is OK. I pay 9.95$ for upto 5k shares. Not the cheapest perhaps but not too bad imo, no data fees and great client support help this too. It´s a shame they won´t reduce this a bit, based on volume, but they say they don´t (maybe I am not doing enough with shares).

Futures I pay 2.5USD with them each way. Find that hard to beat...

What do you pay elsewhere Abottoml ?

I'm in the UK and I opened a US$ account with no problems. They have great client software, but their pricing isn't competitive enough for me ...

Hi I’m new in here and have heard great things about TOS but I’m having trouble creating an account. When i fill in the form and get to the select Country of Residence and/or Country of Citizenship i get a message that they don't accept accounts from the UK?

How do i get around this ? any help would be greatly appreciated

I asked Think or Swim whether I would be able to set up an account. I am based in the UK. I got this reply from them....

Hello,

After assessing global requirements for doing international business, thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade has decided that we will no longer open new accounts in certain international jurisdictions. The UK is affiliated with at least one of these jurisdictions in which we will no longer provide brokerage services. As a result, we will not be able to open your account nor allow a demo account.

....can anyone shed any light on which jurisdictions they are referring to, and why???????

Tried setting up a Demo account with ThinkorSwim/ Ameritrade but kept getting rejected.
Any UK traders succeed in setting up a demo since they excluded us from live accounts?
I'veTried various international addresses, tried a VPN to hide my i.p., tried it over a smartphone - no luck

I just had a chat with TOS and they are not accepting UK addressed accounts. Shame.

Is there any point when you wont be able to open a real account?

I guess it will take a little while before they merger their operations in Europe;

"March 2010: The Toronto-Dominion Bank becomes the sole shareholder of Internaxx Bank after acquiring the remaining 25% of shares from BGL BNP Paribas. TD Waterhouse works in close collaboration with Internaxx, providing services to and assisting in the development of Internaxx's business.
November 2011: TD Waterhouse Investor Services (Europe) Ltd changes its name to TD Direct Investing (Europe) Ltd."

Company History