TheBramble’s Trading 201

Yes. And that tends to be much closer to real life for most traders than the idealized textbook models. Would you agree?
Having been a trigger-happy gunslinging "trader" and felt Mr. Market's whip numerous of time, I must admit I do not have any experience with this type of approach to trading, so I totally agree since your knowledge is the size of Jupiter compared to mine! :D

Last edited:
................The point is, that is what we do. On every trade. Does it ‘look like’ it fits our criteria. And we’ll take those that almost but don’t quite more often than we ’should’..............

tony,

...and we sometimes do the reverse don't we (or I'm prone to, anyway :rolleyes:)? That is, don't take trades that fit our criteria because it somehow doesn't "look right".

good trading

jon

That's one thing I don't find difficult. I have set ups and then triggers for taking those set ups, so at the end of the preceeding selection sequence, it's a two stage process whether to take the trade.
If in doubt, I sit on my hands. This results in being correct not to trade in about 70% of instances. In the other 30% odd, it would have been a profitable trade.
When not in doubt, I execute immediately and that produces a very high success rate. In other words, when I "know" it's right, it proves to be so the vast majority of the time.
I don't think this is due to anything but pure experience. Nothing vague or special, just a learnable skill which improves with experience. Like most skills.
For me, trading is 80% - 85% method and technique, 15% - 20% discretion.
A bit like driving. You have rules and follow them. Sometimes you need to exercise judgement and discretion. If in doubt, err on the side of caution. You get better with time.
I long since ceased to have any psychological problems trading. There are times I don't feel like it, but I make myself. Not in the mood, got a headache, push it all to one side and do the bloody job and tell myself to stop being a navel gazer. Focus on the market and trading, not on your mind.
Controlling your own mind and dealing with the emotions, in fact, ignoring them and applying yourself to the job, those are the foundations.
Richard

It's just occurred to me that if Gordon Brown could trade or even drive a car (he doesn't) he'd make a much better Prime Minister. No clunking rules is rules, and let's then have even more laws and rules, no dithering, no self doubts.
No anxious biting of finger nails, no judgement = no trader, no Prime Minister.
Richard

I am going to summarise and recap what we've covered so far at this point before going further.

However, until the site gets sorted out and all those missing posts are located, “gateway timeout” on each post made becomes a thing of the past, and the need to re-login to read every new post is no longer required, I’ll hold off.

The last three posts on this thread have only just appeared, even though they were posted 2 days ago and I checked it this morning.

I'm none too keen to waste even more of my time. I'll wait until we get the all clear and service has been fully restored and the site is stable.

We seem to be back in action again. I'll post a recap later.

Please Note: This really is just my take on things. If it's helpful and/or useful or thought provoking or discussion generating, great. But there are a great many ways to skin a cat. And there are traders 'out there' who probably think or do quite the opposite to what I'm going to be developing here - and they do just fine.

We started the discussion with a relatively textbook proposal to assess the trading profile and characteristics of a hypothetical system. Key data was provided to enable the relatively mechanistic process of churning out a number of trading related performance measures through well known trading formula.

There was a suggestion that breakeven (BE) trades and commissions might be a cause for the frequent malaise of a system’s hypothetical potential never being quite fully manifested. While it’s very true that there is significant underestimation (or even complete disregard) among newer traders to take the operational costs of trading into account, do these factors significantly impact the system’s performance values?

Calculation of drawdown and statistically consecutive losses was something that not many traders appear to do. An intuitive grasp of the likely magnitude of these data appear largely sufficient as an operational basis. Are they? And at what point does intuition become a bankable asset? If ever. And how does one recognise this event?

The myopia that often afflicts those married to their trading formula rather than the reality of trading itself was highlighted by the lack by most to spot the disparity between the stated R:R for the system and the Aw and Al given. We look at the data, examine the formula, and fail to think it through on an elemental level.

Assumptions were made by some to come up with a ‘reason’ for this shortfall and disparity between estimated performance profile and the performance attained in reality. Use of trailing stops was a suspect. However, given you can as easily use a trailing stop to override a target that’s being exceeded as reduce your risk if your position moves against before hitting the initially calculated stop, is this necessarily valid? Which case it more likely to prevail?

Random clumps of consecutive losses were recognised as more likely than the statistically well-behaved estimation of worst case scenarios. Making both drawdown and risk size somewhat less of a science than we should be comfortable with. So what can we use to calculate optimum risk size and likely drawdown?

The psychology of traders when faced with consecutive losses (and wins for that matter) was referred to. This will get a great deal more development in this thread.

We came up with another formula stating after X trades of a system with any known profile, you could have expected N consecutive losers. Big deal. Did you get this number? More? Less? What does that tell you.

For those reading between the lines my comments regarding the fact that the performance of any system changes as a function of each trade and the non-relaity issues relating to standard formulaic functional treatment of trading performance criteria, coupled with the fact that the people more likely to use these formulas are new-ish to trading and therefore, unlikely to have much of a string of trades to call real data, are likely to have already half-formed (or better) an view on where I’m likely heading with al of this.

The deviation your Aw and Al massively impact the effectiveness of ANY statisitical study of your data. You can either grin and bear it (most do) or pretend to take a sensible approach and filter out the outliers (LOL1 – Some do, honest!).

It was hinted at that there may be some non-Gaussian techniques that will yield performance calibration that more closely resembles reality and indication that we could be considering the use of higher-level market (integral analysis) data to help set a more reasonable context for our calculations.

There was (I hope) a suggestion to consider the trader’s own expectations of their system was actually a factor that (a) impacted upon the performance of that system and (b) therefore impacted their P&L for that system.

Another trader suggested that we sometimes don’t take trades we should, because they don’t ‘feel’ right. We’ll get into this ‘feel’ a great deal, but for now, is the trader who doesn’t take a trade which meets his or her criteria and better/worse than a trader who takes a trade that doesn’t meet their criteria? Does the outcome of that trade that was taken that shouldn’t have been (or the one that should have been taken bust wasn’t) make any difference to your answer to the previous question?

Yet another trader suggests a metric of about 20% discretionary (is that the same as intuition). How does that sit with other consistently profitable traders? Anyone else care to offer a metric for the split between system/discretionary? The mechanical/discretionary is a side issue for this thread as I’ll be developing the deeper issues of what constitutes successful discretionary approaches, but it would be interesting all the same to get some feedback on that one.

discretionary trading can only have two results,

you either kick yourself for not taking the trade if it would have gone your way and then look for reasons to explain why you had trouble pulling the trigger or

the trade would have resulted in a loss in which you case you feel smug untill you realise tht you dont really know why you didnt take the trade and therefore can not replicate the results with any consistancy, if you could you would incorparate it into your rules.

come on Brambs, whats the next instalment?
(sorry, but I am not trading until Monday; what with July-4th, half-days trading, etc)

We started the discussion with a relatively textbook proposal to assess the trading profile and characteristics of a hypothetical system. Key data was provided to enable the relatively mechanistic process of churning out a number of trading related performance measures through well known trading formula.

There was a suggestion that breakeven (BE) trades and commissions might be a cause for the frequent malaise of a system’s hypothetical potential never being quite fully manifested. While it’s very true that there is significant underestimation (or even complete disregard) among newer traders to take the operational costs of trading into account, do these factors significantly impact the system’s performance values?

Calculation of drawdown and statistically consecutive losses was something that not many traders appear to do. An intuitive grasp of the likely magnitude of these data appear largely sufficient as an operational basis. Are they? And at what point does intuition become a bankable asset? If ever. And how does one recognise this event?

The myopia that often afflicts those married to their trading formula rather than the reality of trading itself was highlighted by the lack by most to spot the disparity between the stated R:R for the system and the Aw and Al given. We look at the data, examine the formula, and fail to think it through on an elemental level.

Assumptions were made by some to come up with a ‘reason’ for this shortfall and disparity between estimated performance profile and the performance attained in reality. Use of trailing stops was a suspect. However, given you can as easily use a trailing stop to override a target that’s being exceeded as reduce your risk if your position moves against before hitting the initially calculated stop, is this necessarily valid? Which case it more likely to prevail?

Random clumps of consecutive losses were recognised as more likely than the statistically well-behaved estimation of worst case scenarios. Making both drawdown and risk size somewhat less of a science than we should be comfortable with. So what can we use to calculate optimum risk size and likely drawdown?

The psychology of traders when faced with consecutive losses (and wins for that matter) was referred to. This will get a great deal more development in this thread.

We came up with another formula stating after X trades of a system with any known profile, you could have expected N consecutive losers. Big deal. Did you get this number? More? Less? What does that tell you.

For those reading between the lines my comments regarding the fact that the performance of any system changes as a function of each trade and the non-relaity issues relating to standard formulaic functional treatment of trading performance criteria, coupled with the fact that the people more likely to use these formulas are new-ish to trading and therefore, unlikely to have much of a string of trades to call real data, are likely to have already half-formed (or better) an view on where I’m likely heading with al of this.

The deviation your Aw and Al massively impact the effectiveness of ANY statisitical study of your data. You can either grin and bear it (most do) or pretend to take a sensible approach and filter out the outliers (LOL1 – Some do, honest!).

It was hinted at that there may be some non-Gaussian techniques that will yield performance calibration that more closely resembles reality and indication that we could be considering the use of higher-level market (integral analysis) data to help set a more reasonable context for our calculations.

There was (I hope) a suggestion to consider the trader’s own expectations of their system was actually a factor that (a) impacted upon the performance of that system and (b) therefore impacted their P&L for that system.

Another trader suggested that we sometimes don’t take trades we should, because they don’t ‘feel’ right. We’ll get into this ‘feel’ a great deal, but for now, is the trader who doesn’t take a trade which meets his or her criteria and better/worse than a trader who takes a trade that doesn’t meet their criteria? Does the outcome of that trade that was taken that shouldn’t have been (or the one that should have been taken bust wasn’t) make any difference to your answer to the previous question?

Yet another trader suggests a metric of about 20% discretionary (is that the same as intuition). How does that sit with other consistently profitable traders? Anyone else care to offer a metric for the split between system/discretionary? The mechanical/discretionary is a side issue for this thread as I’ll be developing the deeper issues of what constitutes successful discretionary approaches, but it would be interesting all the same to get some feedback on that one.

Tony

Quite interesting all this - reminds me of management training some years ago. When a practical problem was tossed into the ring the group split between the "suck it and see" brigade who found the answer by trial and error and the "theory" brigade who worked out the underlying theory first to bring them to the answer before they ever got their hands dirty.

I suspect traders divide up the same, both in their trading style and in the context of your thread where some care only for their bottom line and to hell with all the win/loss, aw/al etc etc statistics (I know some of those :).) and some have detailed performance statistics about anything related to their trades that you care to mention (I know some of those, too :)).

good trading

jon

With all due respect.. Sir, can you write a wee bit shorter?

OK, this isn't working. But not one to give up easily, I'll plough on with bite-sized chunks for those who like ot whizz through posts so they can move on quickly to the next postette looking for the Holy Grail.

The postettes that follow are not necessarily my original work or discoveries. I'll not attribute any of those that aren't on the basis that the originator may not wish it to be known they were associated with me at any point in the past and also to cover for my failing memory in having to accurately recall who told me what.

Let me know if any subsequent posts exceed the popular 'Thought for the Day' style and I'll immediately desist.

NB. For those who work better with more erudite explications and discussions, keep it to PMs.

Channels

Doesn't matter whether it's Bull, Bear or Flat - Exit on the Left; Enter on the Right.

Most do exactly the opposite of this...and lose

Doesn't matter whether it's Bull, Bear or Flat - Exit on the Left; Enter on the Right.

Most do exactly the opposite of this...and lose

I know I am being incredibly thick, but the left or right of what, with respect to channels?

I know I am being incredibly thick, but the left or right of what, with respect to channels?
LOL. I know you're joking trendie and this is just a teaching device to help the newbies, but let them work it out for themselves.

That's where the REAL discoveries are made.