The Worlds 3 Largest Employers

TheBramble

Legendary member
I don't know why I found this interesting other than I was surprised by 2 of them.

In descending order:-

1. The Chinese Army

2. Indian Railways

3. NHS

I'm also surprised by 2 of them. (I knew only that the NHS is Europe's largest employer.)

When I read an article that provided the above information I was also surprised until I took a hard look at the list, then I realised that they are state employers with all their inefficiencies.

Lion

The first 2 are deliberately "inefficient" since India and China use their public services to give people work and an income. Arguably, better than a benefits system when you would otherwise have mass unemployment.

The third is inefficient by accident - what a shambles. The bigger the organisation (private or public), the bigger the bureaucracy and the bigger the inefficiency. The NHS is simply too big and even the best private sector managers would fail to contain it.

Clever operators know the dangers of bigness. They break their organisations down into containable, self-autonomous chunks each working to clear objectives that contribute to the aims of the organisation as a whole. Arnold Weinstock at GEC was a classic example.

jon

barjon said:
The NHS is simply too big and even the best private sector managers would fail to contain it.
I think that's quite right. I also think that its inception, though laudable, was more or less based on something that turned out to be even less true than anyone imagined: that health-care spending was both quantifiable and limited. (I used to work for the NHS a long time ago).

fazalv said:
Reference? People doubting me at work.
Dunno. I'll see if the same bloke's in the pub again tonight. OK? :rolleyes:

Failing that, Lion63 read the article so perhaps he can give us the original source?

Camelot, you don't drink down the Nag's Head do you? Tall bloke, beard, trainers, chiffon wrap?