The Secret

dbphoenix said:
. I suspect Lyons has a similar story.

--Db

Interesting point about Lyons fumbling it. They had Europe's first commercial computer in the early 50s and still only had one small computer dept. when I worked there in the late 70s. They had a similiar failure story with supermarkets.
What a bunch of plonkers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It wil astonish all of you to know that luck can be manufactured.

Here is a book for all of you interested in this topic, to read :~

How To Make Luck, by M. Myers...published by Renessaince Books, ISBN 1 58063 058 8

Enjoy.

Thanks Finlayson. :)

I note that no fewer than 389 lucky horseshoes were sold on ebay.com in the last 15 days. :eek:

LOL Socrates, can I order my luck flat-packed, I wonder? I have an allen key pining for weekend work.

From Amazon plug -

Myers believes that people make their own luck. "The people we think of as lucky behave in ways that are so special and seductive that nearly everyone they meet feels compelled to offer them great opportunities. And it is this wealth of opportunities that allows them to continuously improve their good luck," he writes. Luck, advises Myers, means mastering one or two of these lucky behaviors: Make life look easy, but don't rub it in; make yourself appealing; be as curious as a child; improve the lives of other people; let power brokers own a piece of you; don't burn your bridges. The book includes chapters on each of these secrets as well as interviews with successful people and tips for limiting bad luck.

jimbo57 said:
You are right- the PC was IBM's that ran on MS's DOS. But gates "borrowed" a prototype apple from Jobs (Jobs and gates were ex colleagues) and then adapted his software to fit a similar box.

Good job we both know what we're talking about or we'd be in a proper mess :)

jimbo57 said:
You are right- the PC was IBM's that ran on MS's DOS. But gates "borrowed" a prototype apple from Jobs (Jobs and gates were ex colleagues) and then adapted his software to fit a similar box.

jobs took the idea of a windows os from xerox labs

jobs main achievement was providing a computer in kit form that you assembled at home for the enthusiast. they were hw focused, not sw.

- just my 0.02c :D

dbp - didnt ford invent the motor car? i know ford was the first person to come up with the combustion engine - but i cant imagine a car without one!!?

Why are there so many moderators on this thread?

Do you moderator-type guys and gals know something about THE SECRET that us great unwashed don't?

And if you did, could you tell us?

And if you couldn't, would you be able to tell us you couldn't, or not?

And if you wouldn't, would you tell us you wouldn't?

Last edited:
Interesting bit of research on the Myers chap. Apparently, he was killed by a Durian in free-fall whilst penning his follow-up.

Now, just what are the odds of a piece of fruit writing a book? I ask you!

Regardless of whether Gates was 'lucky' or not.

The fact that he has kept (and grown) whatever gains from 'luck' is evidence of his skill

You could give most people (95%) the same wealth, and they'd squander it in no time.

Doesn't matter what taxes the governments sting the rich with, it'll still end up back with the same types of rich people again.

Why ?

Because they do what 95% of people aren't willing to do.

If it hadn't have been software, it'd be oil, or land, or publishing, or media, or even stocks, or similar.

Gates( and people like him) will always come out on top.

In my opinion,

Porks.

Last edited:
Hi Charliechan.
The secrets pdf book is free. The "make you own luck" is available for purchase as printed media.

It would be very unlucky if I had paid hard cash for something I could get for free! :D
JO