The Price of Books!

jimmy1jag

Given that we've got threads running on great books and books to trash, I thought it would be useful to find out where books in both of these classes may be bought at the lowest price.

To kick this off, I note that someone posting in Des44's free video thread mentioned that the'd acquired Nison's Candlestick book for £36 and listed the website. Being a tight g*t I thought I bet I can find that cheaper. Lo and behold, same book in Amazon New and Used section, brand new apparently, for £27. So I know where I'll get my copy from... unless anyone knows better.

If nothing else, this thread may prevent a few people from unnecessarily paying over the odds for a copy of the same book, delivered in the same timeframe. to your door.

(Ebay doesn't count- new virgin copies only)

Another thing to consider, of course, is that this site must have considerable purchasing power given the size of its membership! Do I really have to spell out what might happen to the price of books if the cheapest providers providing the best levels of customer/ delivery service are brought to the surface?

couldn't agree more - as painful as it is to remember I think I paid over £50 for the same Steve Nison book from a financial bookshop on Bishopsgate in London :cry: - uggghhh - internet is the way forward :cheesy: !!!!

I'm from Australia, over here a good book might be $200 AUD where it's $30-40 USD in the states.

Anyway I originally shopped at Amazon, they had much better than aust prices and EXCELLENT customer service.

I've now switched to www.traderslibrary.com

They have the lowest prices I have seen.

Wow $200 AUD that's super expensive :-0 - I agree amazon is pretty good overall, though www.traderslibrary.com looks very reasonable indeed but do they ship abroad & if so do you get killed on the shipping costs ??

I've ordered (in the UK) from TradersLibrary a couple of times and been very satisfied with them. The extent to which you get killed on the shipping costs varies a lot. Their very frequent "super-sale" items, many at $0.99, sometimes attract very high per-item shipping costs (with no discount for bulk) and I've never tried them. But their "normal book shipping costs" are ok, as I remember. One other thing about them is that they send you a LOT of email and "special offers" and the like once they have your email address, so use one where you don't mind receiving a lot of stuff from them.

By the way, if anyone's interested, contrary to popular opinion, the "real terms" prices of books in the UK now (i.e. allowing for the cost of living, average pay and so on) is lower now than at any time in the last 40 years.

Great info re shipping costs to the UK from www.traderslibrary.com - thanks Roberto, also thanks for the tip re emails, much appreciated :cheesy: !!!
I also look forward to checking out the sites from Joules MM1 - thanks man - guess you guys down under have to get creative with the potential high costs of financial books in Oz ... :-0 !!!

Joules MM1 said:

Many thanks for those Joules. I haven't looked at all of them, but picked out a couple I didn't recognise at random.

Michelago is a goldmine operation and aata is a IT systems organisation (just so people don't click on them expecting books lol) Of course, on the other hand they might be interested anyway.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not buying my books in Oz either!!

Check this one out! Street Smarts by Linda Raschke and Connors is over a hundred pound on amazon.co.uk. Now check the price on Amazon.com .....much cheaper. Parallel selling anyone?

Its very usual, Amazon.co.uk is usually much more expensive than amazon.com specially on US published books.