The Market Matrix

dsmodi

Thanks for that!

I should highlight a fundamental mistake that I made today and that was trading against the higher cycle trend.

It's easy to get 1-dimensional when intraday trading, and MM demands a 3-dimensional approach. Nailing the small retracements is all very well, but it's far more efficient to trade the impulse waves or higher cycle trend.

That's my lesson for the day! But it's also a tendency of mine that has to be eradicated.

Rob

dsmodi said:
robster4
Personally, I think you handled that well

Bigbusiness

Does something like this even exist? For free? or even £4000? Personally, I was very interested in what Rob4 did. He's never said he has the holy grail, but it was v.interesting indeed - certainly warrants more healthy discussion

dsmodi,

I make charts in excel with the free intra-day data I have found on various websites and I have saved several years worth of charts from when I was using qcharts. With that, I can look at each day and see where I could enter and exit a trade and where my stop would be. So it takes a lot of time but it is possible.

Good discussion here keep it up - need to type more posts just to post on another thread.

Bigbusiness...what do you mean you have saved several years charts...any idea where i could obtain such data?

junnnn said:
Bigbusiness...what do you mean you have saved several years charts...any idea where i could obtain such data?

The easiest way is to try the free 30 day trial with qcharts and save as many charts as you can www.qcharts.com

ChartMan has posted a few years worth of intra-day Dow charts, if you do a search in T2Win.

I also put data in to excel, to make charts. Lots of old intra-day data in the 'data' section here:-

http://www.traders2traders.com/linkindex/default.asp

and this one has 57mb of futures data:-

http://www.turtletrader.com/hpd.html

For recent data, I use these:-

http://www.dukascopy.com/english/cquotes/CSV/

http://www.fin-rus.com/analysis/export/default.asp

http://www.eoddata.com/

http://www.downloadquotes.com/en/

Bigbusiness
Sorry mate - not sure I understand your reply....but perhaps you didn't undderstand my question so I'll try to elaborate....
Have you come across any system that has worked 100 times into the future at all - so I'm discounting backtesting, but paper-trading is OK.....

(hope alll that makes sense)

Hello

I havent as yet got MM but Id be curious if robster or any Others who use MM see this next few days as a VITAL timeframe for the Spx / Dow.

The system I use shows some very strong potential time signals between friday to Tuesday.

I suspect if the dow breaks its recent 38.2% retrace of the last 1000 pts range we should see a possible top out between 10500 to 10700 either Friday , Monday or tuesday.

Best estimate would be 10600 to 10666.

Id appreciate any MM comparison.

Pete

Peter

Personally, I'm looking at today or tomorrow. 1181 or 1185 on the S&P for a short. Watching closely and trying to time it to perfection! I wouldn't be suprised to see a retrace early today before one final push up to those levels.

Rob

Peter said:
Hello

I havent as yet got MM but Id be curious if robster or any Others who use MM see this next few days as a VITAL timeframe for the Spx / Dow.

The system I use shows some very strong potential time signals between friday to Tuesday.

I suspect if the dow breaks its recent 38.2% retrace of the last 1000 pts range we should see a possible top out between 10500 to 10700 either Friday , Monday or tuesday.

Best estimate would be 10600 to 10666.

Id appreciate any MM comparison.

Pete

BTW - the two are somewhat contradictory in nature, so don't figure the other will come good if one of them pans out <g>

Darn,
missed by 3c. (10303.87 at 19.54...fairly close but not quite a coconut).
(Edit) - Silly me - didn't scroll the chart across right, bottomed at 10296 soon after my post , in fact it reversed a minute after my post and dropped to 10300.10 about 10 mins later... I was about to say 'got that one wrong' but it happened rather fast than I thought it would! Pure luck...

DIS has half an hour to make 15c <g>

Last edited:
DIS - oh well, 26.89... I've exited, looks a likely short for tomorrow....

I already shorted in the premarket and have pulled the stop to within a dollar.

anywhere around 1179-81 or at worst 1185 is where I'm positioning to short. If my current short gets stopped I'll wait to get it again at 1185.

Either way, the path of least resistance is now down, and if not today we'll catch it in the next few days.

Rob

robster4 said:
Peter

Personally, I'm looking at today or tomorrow. 1181 or 1185 on the S&P for a short. Watching closely and trying to time it to perfection! I wouldn't be suprised to see a retrace early today before one final push up to those levels.

Rob

Dave,
Are you now using MM or are you making your calls via another system?
Tim.

I'm making my calls, as there didn't seem to be that many around, by looking at daily and 10 minute candle charts and applying commonsense and a rudimentary knowledge of the 1-2-3 pattern and a bit of amateurish P&V <g>

I figured that if Robster (or anyone else) wants to post MM trades etc then perhaps my 'slightly better sometimes than a coin toss' could be stacked against it - for a 4 digit outlay I would expect MM to significantly outperform DJB at this point.

I'm NOT having any sort of go at Robster here, I truly appreciate his offer to post trades - this is far from common using these magical systems. I do think that some sort of comparitive baseline is needed - I'm a market duffer who sometimes does okay, so MM will outperform me, if it's any good.

A slight snag is that I trade 5pm+ daily most of the time, sometimes I am too busy to trade at all for weeks at a time. I get long (school) holidays when I can sometimes spend longer on it... but 'organised and regular' doesn't describe it at all.

So, it's almost 7pm Friday - I am expecting the usual... Friday is fairly dull day quite often, the action picks up from 7.15 to 7.30 most days, there are times when swings are more likely at 8pm and 8.30 (8.30 reputedly goes opposite to any significant 8pm move). So, if anything is going to motor I expect to see it start in 15 mins or so, and I will watch for reversals at 8 and 8.30 approx. Friday is quite often not a good day, but if you make a profit it's a good day in my book....

DIS - traded it a few times this week, +3 twice, -19 once, +18, +38. I had +67 a week back, so it's one I tend to watch as I've generally done okay with it. I closed it yesterday having suggested it would make 27 bucks, it didn't - but it did do that at the open today. I'll not trade it today unless it starts moving - it looks like it's unable to decide a direction today, although I wouldn't be amazed to see it do so later as the range is getting a bit tight.

COMPQ and INDU looking out of step - they both go 'down-up' so far, then a sideways spell, but INDU is up on the day while the Nasdaq only retraced approx 50% - Nasdaq I could imagine a 1-2-3 forming and a low at 1960 or below, INDU looks (to me) like it's trying for higher but I'd wait for 7.15-7.20... I suspect it just topped and won't take out the high of the day.

As for the rest - gotta finish my scan!

This is all probably cobblers - but it does provide a substantially cheaper version than MM...
Dave

Damn,
my follow up post just disappeared! Okay, 20:13 now - INDU topped on the 19:10 bar so I was pretty well on it for timing, downhill since for 25-30 pts or so. COMPQ topped at same time, on an up bar now but I doubt it'll go too high frankly. DIS is struggling at 27.10 - I still think this is as high as it ought to be.
I considered shorting HON and wish I had <g> I'd be 50 pts up... but my wife figured we should have a nice meal instead. I've shorted it as I figure it'll reach 36.80 or so tonight, which is a small profit, but I'm not confident it will go much lower.

At the last post I scanned the shares I like and picked AMGN, BBBY, CAT, DIS, EBAY, HON, HPQ, MMM for shorts and WMT as a long.... BBBY I thought would be a fairly small move though, whilst the IMR on the ncier looking ones was quite big. (I don't like the very big ones, IMR's up to 250 are my preferred vehicle just now, which is probably a sign of my amateurishness, but I still feel discomfort if the price jumps about too much - I prefer a steady trend a few cents every few minutes).

Fridays are kind of wierd, especially after US lunchtime - the big players have already gone for the weekend...

Well, that was a good day. As you can see from my posts above, I shorted from right at the top pre-hours at 1179 and have ridden it down all day, even adding to the position on one of the retracements. MM projected both price and time and my own finer analysis went for it in pre-market.

I mentioned that one of my stupidities was that I'd been trading against the higher cycle trend (in MM terms) and had only been nicking the small moves, albeit pretty well. Interestingly, the retracement trades always felt like I was swimming against the tide. Now I understand why.

Today I was with the higher cycle (which just happened to also turn today, as projected) and down we went. With MM there are lots of different time frame cycles (as in Delta) and the trick is to understand what time frame you are trading with.

So now I have to pick the stopping point but so far so good and I've ringfenced my position now.

Cheers

Rob

Odd,
ignore the timestamps on the posts - they're an hour out! (I closed my HON short 22 pts up... it passed 36.80 and bottomed at 36.60, I exited at 36.71 once I was convinced the direction had changed. (Better traders than I would have had far more of it than I did, for one thing I was answering email when it bottomed and was a bit slow off the mark! <idiot> I usually manage to watch trades much more closely but life keeps intruding and today it cost me a few points) .

That 1 hour timestamp error makes me look positively psychic, doesn't it?

SB company now closed - COMPQ at 1965.27, INDU 10344.83. INDU went downhill from 19:10 as I suggested, as did COMPQ. DIS closing at 26.91. I only traded HON, almost all the shorts went downhill, WMT climbed to the last bar and then tanked with the rest - I didn't feel tempted by it as trading a long as it's seldom a good idea to trade opposite to the market and I'd already decided that was heading south. Reversals not readily apparent today for the last part. Still, all told it's been a good week - 7 bets, 5 winners, although 2 of them didn't amount to much. The biggest niggle to me is that you start an SB off several points down - DIS is usually something around 8 pts adrift at entry, so to make 15 pts I have to trade a 23 pt move, the alternative is to whack $25k down and pay $1 commission on 1000 shares.... bit of a big step while you're still not sure you are right often enough, isn't it? <g>

Nothing clever in this - very simple trend spotting I guess, the Nasdaq low is on the last bar at 1965.14, it fell half as far as I thought it might, but I didn't expect it to oscillate 1966-1968 or so for 2 hours <g> INDU crashed nicely within minutes of deciding that was the high for the day.

I didn't estimate a target for INDU so I guess I'll just settle for 'no higher than the high so far' which would be a conservative appreciation in hindsight... I trade stocks, not indices, and I'm happy with my 22pts for 31 minutes trading, even if the INDU dropped .

Anyhow - I called (by my reckoning) 3 shorts today - INDU, COMPQ, HON, all 3 dropped nicely - not overly miles off yesterday either... and that's just based on a few seconds glance at a candle chart... I run esignal, onscreen I have a 10 min and a 1 day chart for a stock, and 10 min and 1 day charts for the INDU and COMPQ. I have a summary window with my 'universe' of interesting daily rolling US SB's in. The charts have candles showing price and volume, the only other thing on the charts is a sort of candlestick pattern recognition EFS I programmed - which frankly I usually ignore.... I'm using P&V almost exclusively.

(This may sound like I don't use my own programming efforts for those who know me - not so, but I like to combine good ideas from a variety of areas and recognised my candle/barchart skills weren't great, and I only traded EoD.... so I'm trying to improve both).

Dave