The FTSE

CBI Distributive Trades Survey
"The continued weakness in consumer spending is making its impact felt on other areas of the economy, as the CBI's industrial trends survey confirmed last week," the CBI said.

Retailing
Nov Oct Sep Aug
Sales Volumes
Reported -18 -24 -18
Expected -15 -22 -15 -17
Sales Volumes 3-Mo Avg
Reported -20 -20 -18
Expected -17 -18 -17 -13
Orders
Reported -19 -24 -12
Expected -13 -18 -15 -17
Sales For Time Of Yr
Reported -25 -30 -32
Expected -21 -19 -24 -29

CBI Web site http://www.cbi.org.uk.

Dildubai said:
Hi mates.

Just looking at my short-term charts and it looks like FTSE is about to start a decline. Not a major one maybe but good for daytraders. Anyone see the Index down from current levels today? last quote on my broker 5299/5303. Uusually 2 pts spread but when UK closed it reverts to 4 pts spread.

I am seriously considering a short around these levels with a stop above the high seen so far this week around 5323. Any input appreciated mates.

Cheers

I'd go with that thesis, Dildubai.

The FTSE appears to be huffing and puffing around the 5345 mark [up 26pts], add to that the strong possibility of the DOW dropping I don't believe it will rise any further. So yes, one could go short at this point.

UK

The FTSE Wednesday, 2nd November 2005

Tuesdays results:

Open: 5317.

Close: 5344, up 27pts. Shame, all I had running was a small leftover from yesterdays bet. Made just enough profit for a takeaway and a six pack.

Range: 5304 - 5350.

On the Month: up 130pts. This is too high a leap for the first two days of trading.

Dow: 10,406, down 33pts.

News items of note:

TimesOnLine - 'CONSUMER confidence has dropped to its weakest level in more than 2½ years, unsettling the widespread view among analysts that the Bank of England will keep rates on hold over the coming months.

The GfK survey of consumer sentiment fell to a balance of minus 8 last month, down from minus 5 in September and the lowest level that the gauge has reached since March 2003. The index measuring whether people thought that it was a good time to make major purchases was at its weakest level since November 1999.'

Also:

'House prices rose in October at their fastest pace in 15 months, Nationwide, the building society, said today. The figures suggest the property market may be on the brink of an autumn rebound and led analysts to ponder whether further price rises will feed through in the new year.

The data will also bolster expectations that the Bank of England will hold from cutting interest rates in the short term.

Nationwide said prices rose 1.3 per cent last month, while the annual rate of increase rose for the first time this year to 3.3 per cent from a nine-year low in September of 1.8 per cent.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday stated a rise. Wednesday a medium fall.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the FTSE has risen far too quickly for November; the DOW's down; charts predict a fall.

Early gut feeling: a moderate fall.

Will I bet? No. Although I consider there's a 65% chance of a fall its still not high enough odds for me to commit good money. I'll stay out of the market.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

After more home work.

Tomorrow is an evens day. No major economic data; no big bullying company results; no upsetting homely or worldly news. Add to this that the DOW is down and the FTSE has risen too sharply, and we should see an opening and gradual slide down by a moderate 22pts by 11am.

Its worth a small short bet.

Will I bet? It's looking close to a 75% chance of a down before the American markets open. I'm tempted.

UK

Thanks UKHERO

ukhero said:
After more home work.

Tomorrow is an evens day. No major economic data; no big bullying company results; no upsetting homely or worldly news. Add to this that the DOW is down and the FTSE has risen too sharply, and we should see an opening and gradual slide down by a moderate 22pts by 11am.

Its worth a small short bet.

Will I bet? It's looking close to a 75% chance of a down before the American markets open. I'm tempted.

UK
Hello Mate. This is just to thank you for your clear concise reasoning on the FTSE everyday. I was tempted quite a few times to sell. In fact lost 22 pts on one trade last week because I thought it was ready to drop. But since then I have been reading your posts and they make a lot of sense. I am more of a daytrader and look for small moves to make my per diem.

Thanks to your informative posts I have refrained from doing what I wanted to do and saved myself a lot of grief and money. I look forward to your posts nowadays.

Keep it up mate.

Dildubai

362 was the 61.8 fib retracement
and 370 was the top from which it fell

I know how you feel I was looking for a bit more on the Dax...
reckon we might get another shot..

whats the best place to do binary bets on the FTSE - looking doing some noon / 3pm plays which work well on paper. IG have a £5 min which is a bit high. Binexx perhaps ?

quote - - - - -whats the best place to do binary bets on the FTSE - looking doing some noon / 3pm plays which work well on paper. IG have a £5 min which is a bit high. Binexx perhaps - - -- - -

Try BinaryBet, their min is lower than IG (or it used to be) and they are owned by IG - Finspreads also do Binaries, but not sure what size as their software doesn't work through our firewall.

squaregains said:
whats the best place to do binary bets on the FTSE - looking doing some noon / 3pm plays which work well on paper. IG have a £5 min which is a bit high. Binexx perhaps ?
Binarybet.com let you do £1 min. This is also the most you should risk with them to start with/if ever.

Do a search on these forums and you will see why.

Currently their online platform is having issues as well so that the price you see is not always the price you trade due to it not handling sudden market spikes very well. I became a victim of this recently when I thought I was buying a certain price on screen then after the 30-45 sec delay for the price acceptance the quote had moved 9 ticks against me so that I was instantly down 15 ticks (with their spread). I should have got a price rejection instead but did not get the option so a price I did not even trade on was accepted!!

As my emotions came into play I did not wish to cut my losses thinking that even though the quote was not what I desired my original rationale behind the trade would redeem it but the market then turned against me so I ended up losing a lot of money in the space of 2-3 mins.

The FTSE Thursday, 3rd November 2005

Wednesdays results:

Open: 5344.

Close: 5358, up 14pts. A see-saw day and one in which I'm glad that I didn't bet.

Range: 5316 - 5364.

On the Month: up 144pts. Still too high.

Dow: 10,472, up 65pts.

News items of note:

MSNBC - 'In the third-to-last Federal Reserve policy meeting of the Greenspan era, the central bank did just what everyone expected on Nov. 1, hiking the benchmark Fed funds rate another quarter point to 4%. This marked the 12th consecutive rate hike in the current policy cycle -- from near historic low levels of 1%. This move, along with renewed unanimity among members of the Federal Open Market Committee, the Fed's policy-setting arm, and the language of the post-meeting statement, strongly suggests that the central bank will continue to take away past policy accommodation by raising rates into 2006.' Yes, most expected it, but very few knew how the markets would react.

TimesOnLine - 'BRITAIN’S manufacturing sector experienced its highest rate of growth so far this year last month, buoyed by rising export orders and strong output at factories. The CIPS/RBS purchasing managers’ index, which provides a snapshot of the state of the sector, rose to 51.7 in October, up from 51.5 in September, on a scale where any number above 50 indicates expansion. The index showed that growth was weakest in the consumer and intermediate sectors, while the investment sector was buoyant. Employment continued to fall. George Buckley, an analyst at Deutsche Bank, said: “Very modest manufacturing growth appears to have been sustained. - Good positive news that will effect this months FTSE.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday stated a medium fall. Thursday no clear indication

Companies reporting: too many to list.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's up; no adverse news as of yet; twenty-five companies reporting in one shape or another.

Early gut feeling: a moderate rise.

Will I bet? Already have.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

Does anyone here have the view that the ftse need a bit of a correction before it continues to go up.....I think it will drop a 100 point or so.....It has done too many point in too much of a short period and hence what come up must come down theory.....
Best of luck
Happy trading....
Rav

The FTSE Friday, 4th November 2005

Thursdays results:

Open: 5358.

Close: 5431, up 73pts. I cancelled my long at 11am [+41pts], too early some may say.

Range: 5358 - 5431.

On the Month: up 114pts.

Last 5 trading days: up 249pts to make it five days in a row. Does it need a rest I ask!

Dow: 10,522, up 49pts.

News items of note:

Forbes.com -'Crude-oil futures jumped more than $1 a barrel Thursday in buying that analysts ascribed to bargain-hunting after prices had settled below $60 a barrel for three straight days.

Light sweet crude for December delivery gained $1.75 cents to $61.50 a barrel in afternoon trade on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Crude futures settled below $60 a barrel for the first time in three months on Monday due to relatively mild temperatures in the U.S. Northeast.

Oil analyst John Kilduff of Fimat USA in New York said he was not surprised to see buyers step into the market given the near-15 percent drop in oil prices since the summertime peak above $70 a barrel. But he does not expect prices to zoom higher from here.' - I still have a gut feeling towards further rises.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday, no clear indication. Friday, again no precise indication but they do err on the side of a fall.

Companies reporting: 3 major, pre mkt.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the market has risen far too quickly; the DOW's up, but dropped over thirty points in the last 3 hours of trading; no clear indication from charts; no major, market shaking news;

Early gut feeling: a fall.

Will I bet? No. I've seen the market in this state before and it can easily go either way, change its mind and end up right back were it started. Or, tumble 40 - 80pts. Best stay out the way.

yours

UK

rav700 said:
Does anyone here have the view that the ftse need a bit of a correction before it continues to go up.....I think it will drop a 100 point or so.....It has done too many point in too much of a short period and hence what come up must come down theory.....
Best of luck
Happy trading....
Rav

I agree, Rav700.

Unless there's strong, prominent news tomorrow morning, good or bad, that would shake the market [and I'm hoping there is] I'm staying on the side line.

I've had a good week so far, I'll not spoil it by betting on a wing and prayer.

yours

UK

If ya lookin to short the FTSE take the day off tomorrow that is unless we hit 475 straight out of the box

You could short the Dow if you really wanted something to do

The FTSE Monday, 7th November 2005

Fridays results:

Open: 5431.

Close: 5423, down 8pts.

Range: 5418 - 5446. Well, the FTSE did pretty much as I anticipated, playing see-saw with its opening price and therefore the devil to make profit.

On the Month: up 106pts. Too high by 40pts.

Last 5 trading days: up 210pts to make it four up one down.

Dow: 10,530, up 8pts.

News items of note:

AFX News - 'Natural-gas futures closed Friday at their lowest level since August, down almost 13 pct for the week, while crude-oil futures fell over 1 usd a barrel to end the week with a loss of 1 pct, dealers said. Forecasts for mild US weather and recovering output in the Gulf of Mexico worked to quell anxiety about heating-fuel inventories. 'The official heating season began this week amid bearish fundamentals of mild temperatures nationwide and predictions of a warmer-than-normal winter season,' Ronald Barone, an analyst at UBS, said in a research note.'

NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'U.S. stocks could edge higher this week on hopes for strong holiday spending after retailers' October sales were healthier than expected. Crude oil prices at $60 a barrel, though, could spoil the mood on Wall Street. Some market strategists see stocks struggling for direction, with most earnings reports out of the way and little on the economic agenda likely to move the market this week.'

TIMESONLINE - 'The annual rate of increase in house prices edged up to a five-month high in October, the Halifax reported this morning. Offering further evidence of a stabilising property market, the nation’s largest mortgage lender said on Friday that the annual increase in the three months to October hit its highest since May at 3.9 per cent, up from 3.0 per cent the month before.' - Good news indeed.

TIMESONLINE - 'THE services sector is growing at a much stronger rate than expected, a leading survey showed yesterday, making a decision by the Bank of England to hold interest rates next week all but certain.

The CIPS purchasing managers’ index of services activity rose to 56.1 last month from 55 in September, the highest level for three months. Analysts said it pointed to a more robust rate of expansion in the sector than official data had suggested, in part because the survey does not include the more gloomy retail sector.

Analysts took the index as confirmation that the Bank’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) will keep interest rates on hold next week, with some stating that the data suggested the MPC’s rate cut in August will prove a one-off.' - More good news.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Fridays was no clear indication, but they did err on the side of a down. Monday a small rise.

Companies reporting: Easyjet and Netteller; not enough to change the FTSE's hat.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: economic news is promising, but still not enough to move the market into 5th gear; charts say a small rise; the DOW has no hand in the FTSE'S opening; in the past five trading days the FTSE has risen too quickly.

The week ahead: although, in a previous post, I believed the FTSE would rise by not more then 150pts by the end of the month, this coming week I anticipate a 55 - 75pt rise. This will move the FTSE from a moderate rising and into the realms of a strong rising market. If I'm right, it will make my earlier prediction totally defunct!

Early gut feeling: a fall. Totaly bizzare! But that's gut feelings for you.

Will I bet? Yes. I'm going along with my data for a Long bet. If the market dips tomorrow I intend to hold my position for the coming week.

yours

UK