The FTSE

The FTSE Monday, 19th September 2005

Fridays results:

Open: 5383

Close: 5407, up 24pts. This is the highest point of the year and a four year high.

Range: 5375 - 5418.

Thursdays gut feeling was a rise of 5-12pts; again, I got the direction right but a tad short on the range. Did I bet? I watched the FTSE and came in late, banked a safe seven points.

Last week: the FTSE moved up 48pts and is now up 103pts for September. In all this is slightly higher then I anticipated but not totally adverse for the month.

Dow: 10641, a rise of 83pts.

News items of note:

Forbes.com -'OPEC should increase its output ceiling this week, even amid signs of slowing demand, to show the world that it is concerned about near-record oil prices, the cartel's president said Sunday ahead of a key policy meeting.' - This might be so, but demand is rising ahead of supply. So in the medium to long term I see a dip in oil prices followed by a steady rise, and we know what that means!

Forbes.com, Libya opposes mooted OPEC oil output hike. - 'When asked [ Libyan Energy Secretary, Fathi Hamed bin Shatwan] if he agreed with an anticipated decision by the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries to increase its production quota to help curb searing energy prices, Shatwan said: 'No, I don't.' - I love his reply.

[http://www.newsday.com/business/ats...6455999.story?coll=ny-business-leadheadlines] - The link is well worth reading. Simply put, if the American markets take a tumble the FTSE will be gravely affected.

The Boston globe. -'Wall Street will be focused this week on the Federal Reserve and whether policymakers will raise interest rates an 11th consecutive time, a move that could cause investors to pull back amid greater uncertainty about economic growth in Hurricane Katrina's aftermath.' - Its not just Katrina there are several ill winds blowing!

Sky News. - 'Giant raspberries - twice the normal size - are to go on sale in the UK. They each weigh around a quarter of an ounce and have been grown in Britain this year for the first time, according to Marks and Spencer.' - As sweet as they may be they will not effect the FTSE!

Oil: there is very little moment at the movement but I do see a minor drop coming tomorrow.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: A small dip followed by a rise.

Companies reporting: an interesting bundle and they might make a small improvement.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: Its a Monday, the FTSE doesn't like Mondays [who does], but September has a habit of breaking that trend unless the previous week ended up on a strong low [last week ended up 48pts, a medium rise for this time of year]; bargin hunters are thinning out.

Gut feeling: I'm hesitant. The beginning of a week is difficult to predict and even more so the day before. There's a lot happening in the world, but I consider most of the unfavourable news will come into effect later in the month if not mid October. Even so, I see a possible rise [small] with a dip later in the day; perhaps down 20pts.

Will I bet? No. Its Sunday night, gut feeelings and early news items are not strong enough to throw good money at the SB companies. I'll wait untill 10am ish to get a better feeling towards the market.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read present news for clues at to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

Re: Monday

:cheesy: Ftse To finish down at least 15 point minimum and there will be no room for error on this one...
How can I be so sure it not about gut feelings any more....It is about reality....

Tommorow's opec meeting will push the markets down....mark my words

Rav rav rav...uv been wrong b4 and u r today also! - TA shows the daily ftse will have a high tomos of up 2 5440...trust me....im wagering a lump sum per point!

Big smiles here...

Rav700, a bold prediction, I like that, it shows guts. And Saj123, a contradict of thoughts, this also.

Give the sun elbow room. We will see.

Yours

UK

UK
Many thanks. days like that make me wonder why i do not trade full time. But then I remember my father telling me that to make a small fortune at trading you merlely have to start with a large one. :( Still working through my mental blocks whilst trading my model.

My idea for today is a a finish on the FTSE of 15 - 24. IF it is going to be an up a day, it will be
just a couple of points. This is just based on my model. Good luck you all.

Hi guys,
I did tell you this was gonna happen.
And I can tell you there was no room for mistake....
Although may not have the same level as Ukhero but am 1/5th of the way there....
Overall ftse on the day I think 25 point minimum...
Lets see....
Take care
Happy trading...

I am sorry saj.....I trade 60% technical and 40% Knowldedge of market matey
Hence My prediction and I have been wrong before.....but there was no room for error on this one just as I had posted.
I would quit while you are ahead this morning....
Take care.....

Friday the FTSE cash market ran up with a lot of momentum and straight into a huge sell order which caused it to trade sideways for the whole afternoon.

The volume done was very high and indicating there is significant supply at higher prices. Hence, the medium term uptrend is probably done for the time being and a period of consolidation is most likely to follow. Wouldn't be surprised if it went a little higher towards 4500 but I think the best of the gains are in for now.

rav700 said:
:cheesy: Ftse To finish down at least 15 point minimum and there will be no room for error on this one...
How can I be so sure it not about gut feelings any more....It is about reality....

FTSE100 19th September 2005

At 4:36PM : 5,429.70 +21.80 (0.40%)

I would say FTSE's behaviour is quite different from that of Dow. I wouldn't bet on FTSE unless I have a certainty. I have been hurt too much from it. ( I should say I wasn't right about it. The market IS the reality.)

rav700 said:

I think it will kick in tomorrow.

UK

leovirgo said:
FTSE100 19th September 2005

At 4:36PM : 5,429.70 +21.80 (0.40%)

I would say FTSE's behaviour is quite different from that of Dow. I wouldn't bet on FTSE unless I have a certainty. I have been hurt too much from it. ( I should say I wasn't right about it. The market IS the reality.)

Hi leovirgo,

I'm the same, fingers burnt an all. It's true, some days have a greater certainty then most. The hard part is deciding which!

UK

The FTSE Tuesday, 20th September 2005

Mondays results:

Open: 5407

Close: 5429, up 21pts. This is the highest point of the year and a four year high.

Range: 5388 - 5435. [an interesting 47 point swing]

Sunday nights gut feeling: I'm not afraid to admit that I got it the wrong way around, it fell and then rose. But I did say that I wouldn't be betting.

Dow: 10557, down 84pts. I anticipated a medium drop and tomorrow will be just as interesting. Did you notice that the FTSE was not effected by the American market! FOMC rate announcement tomorrow and I believe we'll see a few distress signals over the American markets.

News items of note:

Bloomburg -'Tropical Storm Rita Strengthens and is headed toward southern Florida with winds of 70 mph on its way to the Gulf of Mexico, forecast to strengthen into a hurricane today and may reach the coasts of Texas and Louisiana by the weekend.' - Although nothing like Katrina it will make the populous nervous. Investers will hold back.

Oil: $67. Oil rose today on concerns about the coming Tropical Storm Rita.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: I should have listened to yesterdays charts! No major clues for tomorrow.

Companies reporting: again, an interesting bundle and my money is on Trafficmaster TFC.L for the long term. Also, there is enough reporting to make a slight impact on the market.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: there are takeovers in the air; four rises in a row with a total of 81pts, this is too fast a climb for September; the rise in oil prices should kick in tomorrow; the FTSE may open down 3-8pts due to the long drop in the DJ.

Gut feeling: My anticipated drop for Monday never came about and I feel an even stronger inclination towards a drop tomorrow, perhaps 27-35pts.

Will I bet? Charts do not provide sufficient or guiding information and my gut feelings have proved to be wrong form time to time. I'll wait until I see the market open before committing, but as it stands I favour a drop.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues at to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

leeshindig said:
anyone interested in pivot points and cam levels I have added a new page to live charts which calculates and displays the levels each day for all indices and major U.S Stocks....

the data is taken overnight from yahoo and displayed from 4am UK time each morning...

hope they are of some use.....

Lee.

http://www.livecharts.co.uk/Members/display_stock_data.php

Thanks Lee

Holding my hand up high here, charts are my weak point. I do use them but only as a guide. There are others here who soak themselves in a quagmire of Bollinger and Fibonacci, and good luck to them, but I'm a News man in regards to the FTSE.

Yours

UK

After the disaster yesterday, i should go and hide but this is my one outlet so please hear me out. :(

Today the indication is a fall of about 14 or, at the outside 24 down. However not 100% convinced so am not betting the mortgage today. The nagging doubt is that there maybe a repeat of yesterday where there is either a small rise on the day (couple of points) or up 22.How do you choose?
On balance will go for the downside and target the 14 down.

UKhero how to do you have discipline to stay out of the market?

Thanks Lee for the charts, very interesting.

If anyone is interested I have an Excel sheet that calcs CAM and standard pivots.

Ftsemad said:
After the disaster yesterday, i should go and hide but this is my one outlet so please hear me out. :(

Today the indication is a fall of about 14 or, at the outside 24 down. However not 100% convinced so am not betting the mortgage today. The nagging doubt is that there maybe a repeat of yesterday where there is either a small rise on the day (couple of points) or up 22.How do you choose?
On balance will go for the downside and target the 14 down.

UKhero how to do you have discipline to stay out of the market?

Ftsemad,

Looks like the down has reached your 14 and passed it. Now -18, and it seems to be waiting like a lost sheep dog. If I was betting I'd pull out. It's best to gain a little then to lose a lot.

As to discipline. As I've said before [seeing as I'm unable to play the market throughout the day], I only bet when highly confident of the markets direction - then I bet big. If I was at home I'd play the markets all day long, but still with a strong element of self control; I do my homework; set my targets and cash-in when reached.

Yours
UK

UKhero
many thanks. Will talk later but usually i leave the bet into the settlement - have come a cropper many times but the model is usually right, plus or minus three and so I will be in the money as long as market finishes between 10-20. Talk soon.

regards
peter

I am thinking of setting up a web-site that shows my predictions for the day for the close of the FTSE-100. Ultimately this will become a subscription site after a period of publicity. Does anyone know of any such site?

(ps just an innocent query and it is just an idea at the moment - do not wish to offend anyone)

regards
peter